• 4 Post By cloudpump
  • 1 Post By Chip18
  • 1 Post By RoninByDesign
  • 1 Post By griz
  • 1 Post By Cassidy's Mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

etiquette of using a Service harness?

I was considering getting a service style harness with "do not pet" "in training" patches or something along the lines for my pup when im taking her out socializing/training but dont want every passerby to get in her face without asking and before i can ask them to stop even thought this wouldnt stop everyone, im sure itll cut it down by a generous amount. (assuming i dont just tell people preemptively to not get in her face, im sure that would come off *removed by moderator*).

I wouldn't always use it, but do you think this is bad etiquette or not a good idea for any number of reasons? (even if just corny) I obviously wouldnt use it to try and get service animal privileges like taking her into a supermarket.

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 09-12-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Swearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Banned

Sorry but your just gonna have to suck it up and be "Assholish!" People can't don't or won't "Read!" I did not have a Service Dog ...but I did have a dog that would have bitten people!
It was my job ... to keep people out of his face ... and I am good at my job! I would body if approached , and I would explain "That No sorry you can't Pet him" he is in training. And yeah he was ... he was being trained "Not to bite the Crap out of people!"

But hey maybe people "can read and comprehend" where you are but I don't count on that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Sorry but your just gonna have to suck it up and be "Assholish!" People can't don't or won't "Read!" I did not have a Service Dog ...but I did have a dog that would have bitten people!
It was my job ... to keep people out of his face ... and I am good at my job! I would body if approached , and I would explain "That No sorry you can't Pet him" he is in training. And yeah he was ... he was being trained "Not to bite the Crap out of people!"

But hey maybe people "can read and comprehend" where you are but I don't count on that.
lmao fair enough, i mean im not afraid to tell people no, it just seems exhausting and like i said a little weird to tell people before they even try. You're prob right though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

There is nothing wrong with a do not pet/in training harness or patches. It's when you put service dog on the vest that it's an issue.
angelas, WateryTart, Zimom and 1 others like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 PM

My boy wears a harness with 'do not pet' patches when we go to crowded places.It is very effective in keeping almost everyone at a distance.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninByDesign View Post
lmao fair enough, i mean im not afraid to tell people no, it just seems exhausting and like i said a little weird to tell people before they even try. You're prob right though.
Oh I imagine, it would get old, saying the samething over and over again?? As I know well as I did just that! But I did it without the benefit of a "Service Vest." And sometimes ... saying "No" was heartbreaking for me.

I'm a Boxer guy and my Struddell thought people were the next best thing to "Baked Bread!" I'd always insistent on people asking first ... but my answer was "always" yes please do!

But with Rocky ... my GSD that was just not gonna cut it! I had to start saying no ... for him! And he got that but there was sometimes heartbreak in the wake.

A mentally handicapped adult wanted to pet him?? And I was just "not willing to allow it." By and large by that time ... "Rocky" had proven himself to be "safe" but ... while "Rocky" had let it go as it were ... I had not! The person, persisted that dogs liked him and I was just as firm in saying "NO!"

And yeah ... I won out, but it broke my heart ... That was a few years ago, and I still remember that encounter. I'm not a Pro you know ... so it's kinda hard to know when your job is done???

Still the vest "won't hurt" the less ignorant ... will take note and won't interfere! That would be people like me! But you most likely won't notice because well ... "we won't interfer."
RoninByDesign likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
My boy wears a harness with 'do not pet' patches when we go to crowded places.It is very effective in keeping almost everyone at a distance.
awesome, thats good to hear most people will respect it. thought im sure mileage varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
There is nothing wrong with a do not pet/in training harness or patches. It's when you put service dog on the vest that it's an issue.
well yeah of course, i wouldn't put a "service animal" patch on her. I guess i just used the word service dog harness because they have a certain harness that can accept patches. And prob most people assume its a service dog if it has this kind of harness with patches. I didnt know if even using that type of harness was bad etiquette in the community.

And again i prob wouldnt use it but 25% of the time... if that, just to give a good balance of having her get used to people touching her and giving her a break and to not expect/look to every human to pet her and get all excited with every passerby. Not to mention just the fact that people can get a little too much and in dogs faces when excited to meet them. They kinda forget to respect the animal/handler's boundaries and just lose their **** at a cute dog/pup
Chip18 likes this.

Last edited by RoninByDesign; 09-11-2017 at 11:08 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Elite Member

I only go to pet friendly stores ( and have called to verify) and when I wear the harness people Do assume hes a working dog/service dog. Unless they ask me specifically I dont correct them. Generally I hear things whispered and spoken as I go by or am checking out. It is red, but it only says do not pet. I am not out to socialize myself so partly the reason i dont correct is because I am working the dog and dont want to be bothered! Explaining to people that he is in training would defeat the purpose of the harness in some ways!
angelas likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:43 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninByDesign View Post
well yeah of course, i wouldn't put a "service animal" patch on her. I guess i just used the word service dog harness because they have a certain harness that can accept patches. And prob most people assume its a service dog if it has this kind of harness with patches. I didnt know if even using that type of harness was bad etiquette in the community.
This company makes non service dog harnesses that you can put patches on: https://brilliantk9.com/collections/harness
ksdilli likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page