My dog attacked/bit my kids. I'm out of options.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
ela

My dog attacked/bit my kids. I'm out of options..

I am not sure where to post this so admin please feel free to move it to a different forum.

We have a 2 yo GSD female we got from a breeder. She wasn't fixed and he asked if we would consider breeding her at one point for him. We said maybe. A year later he did the X-ray of hips and she was so aggressive at the vet - they had to put her to sleep for the X-ray - that he was telling me that we need to do something about it. I wasn't too crazy about the breeding idea.

Anyway.. I have two young teenage girls and one is very attached to the dog- sleeps with Dash, hugs her etc.
Overall the dog is very sensitive even a bit anxious. But a good dog overall friendly with people (not so much with other dots though)
She is also super freaked out and aggressive when we try to cut her nails. She won't let us do it and she almost bit us a few months ago when we tried.

A month ago or so my kid were having a little disagreement outside and the dog attacked my other girl with bites through the skin. I had to pull her off her. I was shocked and wasn't sure what to do.

2 wks later the dog was asleep and my daughter went up to her and started hugging her and touched her paws. The dog attacked her with bites through the skin all over her body.

Then 4 days later we were leaving the house and the dog was just chilling by the entrance. When the same daughter was just passing the dog (totally benign no hint of interest in the dog) Dash just attacked her with multiple through the skin bites.

I am caught between many professionals and my family. All trainers and the vet agree that she should not be with us anymore, she became a bully, unpredictable behaviors etc. I am going insane having her still around as my daughter still hugs her and is in denial.

Vets urge me to euthanize.
Trainers think that she MAY be ok with different alpha and boundaries but think it may be a DNA/breeding flow.
My family thinks that a family member should take her. He however lives in a small apartment and works 10 hrs/day. And it would be too close to our family which all trainers said is important to avoid.
Breeder doesn't want her and blamed it all on me and said how disappointed he is as he was counting to breed her etc. only female in that litter etc. Made me feel like xxxx.

My other family members think that I'm a monster even considering euthanasia but I can't imagine if she attacks again.

I am at my wits end. Very stressed out and feel very much alone in this

My kids come first. 1 nite/attack
is a lot but 3???

Thank you for reading
Ela

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ela; 09-09-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Knighted Member

I don't know what to tell you other than do what you think is right. Don't make a decision based on emotion. If it were a dog that I raised and it attacked a child of mine once let alone three times I would euthanize.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Crowned Member

Buy a muzzle for that dog today! That's the first step until you decide what else to do. Without more background it's impossible to say why this dog is acting the way it is. But I agree with others who've said you need to remove the dog from your household. And for all the reasons mentioned, I agree it would not be good to rehome this dog with a family member. At the very least the dog will need a person well versed in dealing with GSD aggression issues. And whoever gets the dog must know all the details! Sorry you and your family have had to go through this, it's difficult to say the least. But don't put it off because someone WILL get hurt.
wolfy dog, Mudypoz and mariodidit like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

Until you figure out what to do, I would tell your daughter who is hugging the dog, to stop completely. Some dogs handle being hugged ok, while others do not.
With multiple attacks that involved multiple through-the-skin bites, I would be considering euthanasia.
JMO.
wolfy dog and Wolfhund like this.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
ela

Thank you all. I just put a muzzle on her. She is so good 99% of the time that it's heartbreaking...

post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

Well I am VERY protective of children and would not hesitate to put a dog that viciously attacked a child down, but we cannot know that that is the case here given what we've been told. So, I would not jump on that option yet! Have a professional evaluate the dog first!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ela View Post
Thank you all. I just put a muzzle on her. She is so good 99% of the time that it's heartbreaking...

Well if she's a good dog 99% of the time then rehome her to an experienced gsd person. Preferably with no kids. Funny how the breeder wants nothing to do with her. Hopefully this is the last dog you get off this breeder.
Mudypoz likes this.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ela View Post

I know it's heartbreaking...they are, overall, such an awesome breed!

I think that any of us telling you to consider euthanasia certainly are not doing so lightly, considering the love we have for Shepherds.

Has anything in your home changed recently or coincide with the change in behavior?
I think muzzling in the meantime, no hugging and avoiding situations that are exciting (arguments/fights) could calm things considerably, until you figure out how to handle it.
I'm sorry-it's awful to be caught between a much beloved pet and your kids. Keeping the kids safe is paramount though...
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Have you had her to the vet for a full check up? Check her thyroid? Personally, she wouldn't be in my house after the second bite, possibly not after the first bite. Kids come first. As others who have said, I would look for someone who has experience with GSDs with aggressive problems and who is willing to work with her. I'm glad you were able to get her to handle a muzzle. Your daughter needs to understand both of your girls need to leave the dog alone.
Jax08 and Mudypoz like this.
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
ela

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Well if she's a good dog 99% of the time then rehome her to an experienced gsd person. Preferably with no kids. Funny how the breeder wants nothing to do with her. Hopefully this is the last dog you get off this breeder.

No one seems to know anyone who would take her. The breeder mentioned someone he would contact but I emailed him twice and he is not responding. Totally blowing me off. Almost everyone said that it would be almost impossible to find anyone who would take a dog that attacked with bites a few times...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page