What gender trends do you find to be true? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

What gender trends do you find to be true?

So for owners who have owned/closely interacted with many GSD(or other) pups over the years... what are the gender based trends or stereotypes you find to hold true? for example that they bond with the opposite sex human more, or that females are more serious while males are more affectionate/silly, or that males are more protective of the home while females more of the owner/pack or just any trends you've noticed if any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 AM
Elite Member

I've had three males and one female. All mixed breeds except for my boy. Our female was the biggest cuddle bug. Also, it sometimes seemed to take the males forever to decide where the best spot to pee is. Our female had no hesitation.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

I have found males tend to like to patrol the property more and females a little less, but never at such an extreme that you can count on a male being the property guardian - and a female guarding the family. So full generalizations won't work, but there does to be a tendency towards those traits. I've had males very lovey dovey and females more stoic, and of course vice versa. Each dog has its own personality and dogs left outside would naturally be more prone to patrolling their domain outdoors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Sometimes I am unsure if I see what I have been taught to expect or if the traits are actually there...anyway...if anything stands out:

The females I have had were not fans of other dogs at all. One would just ignore other dogs (except for family) but challenge the other resident female sometimes. The other is very leash reactive and also very assertive over other dogs. Both females were very cuddly/affectionate, not as territorial as the males (if anything, more-so over me), and "sneakier" about things. Also, my females have all been very quiet dogs around the house...no nonsense barking, no galloping through my house, not as messy (all spayed lol). Also both females were more sensitive to correction/took it personally?...in the way that if over corrected, it really bummed them out and would make them just check out mentally...I learned a bit about training from them.

UGH it seems like the males bark more!!! Also, only one male GSD I have had even likes to be cuddled/babied. He was just about hand-raised from birth and constantly fawned over as a pup (rescue) so I figure the two are related. All of the males patrol my property and seem ready to defend it lol. Two of them were much more goofy and playful...as well as more happy/fun-loving during training, and open to new things. But another was very serious/fun police. Instead of shutting off for corrections, they would get over it.

Different issues do not discriminate and depend on the dog (aggression, resource guarding, separation anxiety, weak nerves) imho. I handle dozens of dogs every day, at least a few-several different GSDs every week. Gender and breed matter, but you can't count on it. You have to treat every dog as an individual.

All but one has been everything anyone could expect for a GSD: Smart, Full of personality, Ready for anything and fun-loving, Intuitive, Quick to learn, Curious, Athletic, Adventurous, Opinionated, Whiny/Vocal, constantly shedding copious amounts of hair but easy coat to maintain otherwise...as well as likely a few things I can't tease out of my brain this early.

All of them have been great in their own ways. I miss the ones who are gone terribly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 PM

Honestly, there is only one trend one that I find true. Each and every dog has its very own personality. As does every animal.

Here's the trend; every and only females come into heat, whisky a male doesn't and never will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page