Homeless people and their dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By Raisedbyshepherds
  • 3 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 2 Post By MineAreWorkingline

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Homeless people and their dogs

Anybody ever notice homeless people with really really well behaved dogs?
There are a couple in my area. One guy has 3 dogs who follow him around off leash better than most trained dogs I see. Spoke to him once, no formal training for the dogs. These dogs will lay down outside a gas station waiting for him are absolutely perfectly well behaved. Im guessing its that they spend every moment of their lives with him. It is amazing. You cant make one of those dogs get up and misbehave. We've seen people try to get attention from them, they just lay there and act like they dont see you. The guy walks down the side of a busy highway with 3 dogs in tow, no leashes, and theyre just perfect.
Does anyone else see this and what are your thoughts?
wolfy dog, Venus694 and Shepherd55 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

I've noticed this too. My theory is that they've bonded much more intensely than most people do with their animals. I've never been able to decide for sure if it's due to spending soo much time together, or the special love that develops from their situation. But it is truly amazing how frequently I've seen the same behavior you're describing.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

I see that in our town all the time. Maybe because the dogs are not so doted on or spoiled. There is an expectation for them. Yet, you don't know the situations where it didn't work out.
I have a friend, well-to-do, who is no dog trainer at all and the dogs learn through 'life' itself, yet she always has harmony in her bunch of dogs. She introduces a new one in a way that makes me cringe, has a mother-daughter combo that works out and none run away from the property. Gets them from CL, neighbors, failed fosters etc. Breeds: Rottie, Pit, Dobie(mixes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:48 PM

They eat with their people, sleep with their people and spend 24/hrs with them... they live in the environment therefore making it much less stimulating to them. They're unrestrained... so there's not much novelty in being free. They walk miles and miles and miles some days - well exercised.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Crowned Member

That was the norm in my area before they passed leash laws.

It wasn't exclusive to the homeless but just applied to the average pet dog that was never leashed, ran the streets with the kids, and went places with their owners because the dogs were so well behaved that taking them places was a non issue.

It still is quite common in third world countries where there are no leash laws.
Heartandsoul and cloudpump like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier

Last edited by MineAreWorkingline; 09-06-2017 at 08:20 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Fodder. I think it's immersion in the lifestyle plus no restraint. More like the way dogs lived with people 100 years ago maybe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 AM
Elite Member

I would think if the dogs were strays first and then became close with that homeless man, that may also be the reason why the dogs are so willing to stay close and focused on him. The dog is already street smart but hungry for food and steady company and has found a person who is willing to share what he has but also shares the same life style. Basically what fodder said.

The one homeless that I knew of did not have a dog.

The most confident, clear headed, well behaved dog that we had thus far was our first dog as a married couple. There was no leash law then and we experienced exactly as MineAreWorkingline describes.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page