Yard Designs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Yard Designs

Hey guys! I am looking for recommendations for revamping the back yard. My husband and I bought our first house a couple of years ago and it came with a beautiful, luscious green yard ... 2 GSD puppies later and we now have an ankle deep mud pit. (We live in Charleston SC, therefore have regular rain storms year round ... And it probably doesn't help that we have a legitimate marsh across the street.) Does anyone have ideas of what we can do to have a useable yard again?

I've researched some ideas and these have been my concerns:
- mulch type products ultimately just sink into the mud
- gravel helps drainage but for some reason our older GSD seems uncomfortable walking on gravel, none the less running/playing on it
- pavers would stay above the muck but I'm concerned they would be too hot in the summer as it regularly gets over 95°F (unless someone has heard of a stone that is heat resistant and not inhibitively expensive) as well as there would no longer be soft spots for relaxation
- PetTurf was recommended to me once but ive heard they can be very high maintenance and costly to have installed (We would prefer as much DIY products as possible)

*Also under consideration is the possibility of building a small agility course into the yard while we are revamping it, budget willing.

If anyone has been through this before and found a doable solution please let me know! The mud is getting almost unbearable to live with ... We can wash the puppies twice a day and still have mud (fine sand once it dries) EVERYWHERE in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitFluffs View Post
The mud is getting almost unbearable to live with ... We can wash the puppies twice a day and still have mud (fine sand once it dries) EVERYWHERE in the house.
Its not even funny how well I know this pain. My pup digs and drags it in. We have to sweep every time he comes in and out and still have to mop 2-3x a week or more. I'm going to extend and pave my patio so he has more distance and a rougher surface to clean his paws on the way in. As for the backyard being tore up I'm lucky to only have one or two holes. But he won't dig in front of me so im almost to the point of using an e collar to break him of it when he thinks I can't see him. Once I break him of that I'll resod the backyard.
car2ner likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
Its not even funny how well I know this pain. My pup digs and drags it in. We have to sweep every time he comes in and out and still have to mop 2-3x a week or more. I'm going to extend and pave my patio so he has more distance and a rougher surface to clean his paws on the way in.
Oh how I wish it was just the paws! There is an area that our 5mo sinks all the way down to her belly if she doesn't pay attention to where she's going ... And our 2yo just runs through it joyfully, throwing up clumps of mud everywhere. There have been some mornings you couldn't even see their fur markings through the muck they were wearing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 12:44 AM
Elite Member

Going through this myself, my problem in my yard is the dust (an irritant to my dog's eyes), then mud (an irritant to me), when it does rain. Your first thing to deal with in your yard is drainage. My dog's urine output is around 2 litres (8 cups) a day, so drainage, potential smell and absorption need to be considered. I need a low impact surface to protect joints. The options I've narrowed my 'search' down to are:

Artificial grass, potential for being too hot in summer, smelling, my dog could shred it
pea gravel, the potential to tear up paws and not low impact
coarse river sand, could be dusty but adding water storage crystals could solve that issue. Sand needs to be 4 inches deep
cattle mats, could lay them over pea gravel for an 'industrial/agricultural' look for my 'frisbee runway'
mulch or sawdust, potential to harbour pests and splinters, and a possible allergen
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
As for the backyard being tore up I'm lucky to only have one or two holes. But he won't dig in front of me so im almost to the point of using an e collar to break him of it when he thinks I can't see him. Once I break him of that I'll resod the backyard.
I thought I was done with the digging. The ground cover is finally grown over the pee spots. I just looked outside that my dogs are gleefully trying to dig up a mole GET IN HERE! Oh no! Muddy paws...grrr

following this thread. My yard is too large to do anything over all but I'd still like to see options.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Aly
Master Member

I gave up on the fantasy of any kind of lawn after I got my first IW, decades ago. My solution has been to build curving raised beds around the perimeter of the front and side yards, with garden fencing to limit doggy access, and HEAVILY MULCH the resulting centers. Best mulch that I've ever found for this purpose is something called 'Gorilla Hair' made out of cypress trees, I believe. It's finely shredded (you can toss by hand), stays in place and breaks down slowly. It was readily accessible in CA, but I've not found it anywhere in/around DC where I live now. So, I use what purports to be shredded mulch here. Not as good as Gorilla Hair, but much better than nuggets. If you mulch, beware chocolate/coco noir which is toxic for dogs!!

OTOH, several IW breeders I know swear by pea gravel for kennel yards. Easy to maintain and looks neat. They also think that it helps in "putting a good foot on the dog." (Don't know if that's true, but they seem to believe it). However, none of them are dealing with the marsh-like situation, or heavy rain come to that, that you described. You may need to put down some kind of base (sand, for example) under the pea gravel, to facilitate drainage.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Pee spots and cut up ground chasing the ball and now chasing each other. Following this thread also. I was always hoping their was a grass seed that was more resistant to acid in urine. I remember someone said hosing the area after they pee but that is not ideal I know a few people have a separate entrance from their house and let their dogs out to a fenced off area in the yard to potty on the side of the house where it's not visible - using light colored cement type material as footing something that can be hosed down or just grass. We have big back yard and I like them to roam around and run and play. It is an idea though and can always let them roam after they did their business in the sectioned off area and gives opportunity for new grass to grow and become nice and thick. Agility course is a good idea or allowing them to have their toys out side helps keep them busy. Luna is a hole digger seemed to stop when toys where available to her outside Luna is always bringing toys out in the yard scattered everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-03-2017 at 11:02 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 06:18 PM

there is this
Lawn Types That Can Stand Up to Dogs | Home Guides | SF Gate
but honestly, my ground cover is more mixed greens than grass in the front yard. I do have a graveled driveways that have grass growing over it. It is funny that where I tenderly take care of the grass it struggles, but between gravel, in the spaces between bricks and cracks in the driveway it grows like gang busters. I have a space under a tree that my dog enjoyed digging in over and over. I finally put a fine gravel under there and slowly plants are starting to grow back in between the stones of the gravel. Not sure how well it will over winter and look in spring. I expect some success. It is only a small space.

As far as pee, some people teach there dogs that a specific spot is their potty. I send my dogs out the side door and usually they'll go in less conspicuous places. I'm too impatient to teach them to "pee here!" but I've read that it can be done.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Knighted Member

I gave up and spread mulch in my entire backyard. I was concerned about it kind of turning into mud and mulch soup when we get heavy rain, but to my surprise, that has not happened. I ordered enough mulch to have a little over 3" depth through the entire yard, and on the advice of a friend who is a landscape architect, got playground grade hardwood mulch. It is holding up well and there is much less mud in my house now!
car2ner likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Elite Member

We have a palmetto buffalo grass - it stands up well to the constant running and turning on it. We fertilise it every 12 weeks, keep it cut low, and add soil wetta to it in the dry summer months. It takes a lot of work to keep it green and looking good but its worth it having a lovely lawn.

I've heard of some special rocks that you can add to your dogs water that will change the acidity of the dogs pee so it doesn't burn the grass... have you heard of this? I am considering giving it a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page