What's in your Kennel? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

What's in your Kennel?

I wish it weren't the case, but I have to work 8 hours a day. Since Sitka is only 6 months, and definitely cannot be trusted with full access to the house, he is kenneled for this time.

Up until recently, I had an old sleeping bag to make his kennel more comfy. Buttt.....he's been chewing it and pulling the stuffing out. This wasn't an issue on my part, but I've noticed (re: his poops :P) that he's not only pulling out the stuffing, but eating some of it too.

For now, I've replaced it with a small blanket, but it doesn't look nearly as cozy in there!

Of course, this is all in addition to some toys, a bone to chew, and an attached water dish.

What do you use to make your pup's kennel a little more cozy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Crowned Member

Just an old blanket and maybe a chewy to distract him/her from me leaving. No water to make messes with.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:01 PM

Yep.

Two bath mats we were planning to throw out before we stuck them in the crate and a chew with a little PB so she doesn't get upset when I leave.

And from the looks of things she pulls one of them out of the way so she can sleep on the cool plastic anyways.
wolfy dog likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

I don't put anything in there that they can't safely consume.
Slamdunc and wolfy dog like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:03 PM

My girl is a 'german shredder'. Anything fabric is chewed to bits. So it's a bare crate floor for her and nylabone chews which she loves.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Elite Member

A bowl of water, she gets a window to look out of to see the on goings on the farm. (for the good or bad!) Also I put treaty toys in their to keep her busy. She isn't very destructive with most toys, so it works well.

Also, i typically have a webcam so i can see my dog once in a while when i'm away. (Cant find the charger..) But i bought it on amazon for $30 and the app for my phone was free with it. Just need wifi or a phone that has internet connection.

I have this one... But its almost impossible for her to get the treats out! So its almost unfair!

https://www.amazon.com/Treat-Dispens...rds=treat+ball

I also have this one, its a bit bigger, her kennel is a 4'X4' so its not a small box crate.
https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Wobbler-...rds=treat+ball

I like to use really small freeze dried meat/liver treats in them.

She cant have peanut butter right now because she is having some skin issues, and inflammation form the PB is making it worse.. But you can do frozen PB kongs, frozen (real) pumpkin kongs, etc.

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

My dog has only a kuranda cot and a water bowl in his kennel. My old girl has a pad on her kuranda. He is old enough not to eat fluffy stuff now but he chooses the kuranda over the memory foam in the bedroom at night so I don't feel bad.

A lot of the time he goes in his kennel when he is tired and I know he will just sleep. Longer stays he might get a Kong or an antler.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure this will work, but I have some photos. can't use photobucket, so I am going to try to directly load them:

Well, I attached, but I do not think it will show. Not sure. But it shows a cot, and an area of wood chips, and a puppy (girl dogs like boy puppies for some reason), water buckets, food buckets, dog houses for shelter. And over the top that you cannot see, probably is a sun screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jun122017 022.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	442585   Click image for larger version

Name:	jun122017 007.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	442593   Click image for larger version

Name:	jun122017 018.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	442601   Click image for larger version

Name:	jun122017 011.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	442609  

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Nothing that can be chewed, kong that's stuffed and nylabone. Luckily I'm retired now, but a volunteer service dog trainer. Luckly I can rotate dogs to go to the office with me. Except Enya. She does things like immediately pick up the water bowl and dump it so she can carry it around, then while we're cleaning it up she's pulling notebooks, etc., off shelves and bringing them to us. Unless I keep her on a down stay all day long literally, she's into something. Her energy level kind of gets to people.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

Ok, that was fun. Let's try again, This is Ramona and Karma's kennel, and Cujo and Hepsi's and Bears. I build those big wood shelters, so that they would provide something other than concrete to lay on, and in the back, they hold the dog houses and add shelter while providing a kind of cave. The dogs seem to like them. I also have a sturdy lawn chair in some of the kennels. They love to lay on the chairs. Toys depend on the dog. If they eat them, they can't have them. Right now Lassie and Kojak are lucky because both are very good with toys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jun122017 066.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	442617   Click image for larger version

Name:	jun122017 090.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	442625   Click image for larger version

Name:	jun122017 036.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	442633  

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page