Hurricane Harvey: Pet Rescue - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Aly
Master Member

Hurricane Harvey: Pet Rescue

The photos and video from Texas are awful and likely to worsen. One of the worst aspects are pets left behind (rescuers can't/won't transport them) or folks who evacuated to shelters ---- only to be told that pets aren't allowed.

http://www.khou.com/weather/harvey/p...ston/468249892

*** Removed by ADMIN --- ABSOLUTELY NO REQUESTS OR LINKS FOR SOLICITATIONS OF ANY KIND ***

Last edited by Castlemaid; 08-29-2017 at 09:44 PM. Reason: ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS FOR SOLICITATIONS OF ANY KIND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

The way transports (should) work at this point is that all pets that are being rescued out of shelters and were already in shelters BEFORE the storm must get transported North urgently. Getting them out makes room and frees resources for dogs being pulled out of floodwater.

Those pre-storm dogs can be transported out of Texas immediately to anywhere that will take them and adopted out -- the Louisiana SPCA transported 162 out of Texas and SW LA shelters in the past two days and transferred to northern rescues. (They should be transported knowing most are going to be Heartworm Positive, so receiving rescues should quarantine assuming that they are HW+ until a vet tests and treats the microfilariae, so they aren't contagious to local northern dogs and wildlife. That was a big mistake in the Katrina transports!)

NO POTENTIALLY OWNED PETS of flood victims should leave the area yet, unless it's to a central location for holding (like Austin). They need to be held somewhere dry until the flood water recedes and owners have a chance to try to locate them. We used the fairgrounds near Baton Rouge last year when our region flooded -- one central place where all displaced owners could check and volunteers could photograph and post animals to FB. If possible, they should be microchipped on arrival if not already (donated chips are likely to be available), in order to track them and where they go.

These pets being pulled out of floodwater cannot be adopted out or transferred to out-of-state rescues as their people may be alive and want them back. Dogs fall and jump out of boats during rescue, getting separated -- not all were left behind. It will be a few weeks before they aren't reclaimed and are ready to go out of state -- huge numbers of them will eventually go unreclaimed.

Northern rescues that can take PRE-STORM dogs to free up space and resources for the flood victims should contact any of the agencies Aly linked, or the Louisiana Humane Society (which is coordinating transports out for the shelters they're emptying).
Jax08, ugavet2012, Deb and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-29-2017 at 11:47 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Aly
Master Member

*** Removed by ADMIN ***

Magwart, that's an impressively sensible plan, but what I'm reading on a couple of horse lists is that not a lot of people are aware of it. Folks were told to shelter in place. Recalling what happened during Rita (?) I get why authorities did that, but still...Now, people above "flood levels" are being told to evacuate because authorities are releasing water from one or more nearby dams which means that folks who were "safe" will now have flooding --- assuming that the dams and levees hold.

Aly

Last edited by Castlemaid; 08-29-2017 at 09:44 PM. Reason: As above
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:45 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I can't find it now, but I believe that the mayor of Houston put out that places taking in people must accept pets. The pets do need to be crated or leashed, etc. Many are setting up different rooms for the pets. We (my part of Louisiana) are actually already seeing pets displaced from flooding here. There's one GSD pup that can't be caught, and some other breeds as well. People are evacuating houses and asking people to take dogs, so far this morning we've found foster homes for rat terriers and chihuahuas, and the GSD puppy they're still trying to catch. We placed a lost Great Pyrenees yesterday and a couple of mixed breeds in foster homes. We're organizing with people who are willing to foster what breeds and ages they're willing to take in.

They're now saying there is a new low forming in the Gulf that they don't think will turn tropical but may bring more heavy rain this weekend into early next week, the last thing Texas or Louisiana needs. We've had 12 inches here at my house so far and another 5 to 8 expected, and we had 5 inches in the three days prior to Harvey hitting us. Our roads are already being closed due to flooding.
islanddog likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
We've had 12 inches here at my house so far and another 5 to 8 expected, and we had 5 inches in the three days prior to Harvey hitting us. Our roads are already being closed due to flooding.
Sending good thoughts that you and yours (well, everyone down there) come through this safely.

Thinking about this earlier today, I wondered if it might not be a good idea to develop an "Emergency Preparedness" sticky for managing pets in disasters/emergencies. Sort of like the lists of pet first aid supplies that I've seen on other groups. What do you guys think about that?

Aly
Deb likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Aly
Master Member

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:15 PM
Crowned Member

I've been watching this and watching specefic rescues. Bless these people, I widh there was more I could do. The worst video I saw posted was a GSD dead on the side of the road. Apparently he was running through the water and got electrocuted. I can't stop thinking about that poor dog and I can't get the image out of my head. It's heartbreaking.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I've bern watching this and watching specefic rescues. Bless these people, I eudh there was more I can do. The worst video I saw posted was a GSD dead--was running through the after and got electrocuted. I can't stop thinking about that poor dog and I can't get the image out of my head. It's heartbreaking.
I'm so glad I missed that one!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I'm so glad I missed that one!
I wish I did. I deleted it off my feed because I didn't want it to pop up again.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:46 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

A reminder about the no-solicitation rule.

Thank you,

ADMIN

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page