Please: need advise - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Please: need advise

We have decided to put a 6 ft chain link fence in part of our yard to give Boss a little room and down time. He is with us all the time so he won't be out there but a couple of hours a day. BUT our opinions is to have it by our carport away from the house or the other options is out our shaded back porch and in a small yard or out our screen in porch on side of house and out a doggie dog to small part of yard. Solid door to get to screen porch.
QUESTION:
Is it unrealistic to think he could be in our huge screen in porch and not scratch it? It has posts a bottom but sure could scratch it.
Is it unrealistic to have him off our shaded back porch and not whine and jump up wanting in thru the French glass door?
The most sure thing is away from both opinion and by carport.
I know it depends on the dog. BUT from your experience am I setting him up to fail?
He is 5 months but not hyper. But he is a pup.
I am taking him thru obedience and doing great.
Please tell me what you would do with your dog.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:22 PM

I have a screened in porch and my dogs occasionally jump on it when something really interesting is happening next door. As far as damaging something, he won't.........until he does. I never leave my dogs outside all alone. Either I have both out together and I am listening for unusual barking or I have the door open so that they can go in and out. I never put my dogs out and not pay attention to them. Often I am outdoors with them. I also live on a dead end road so people aren't going by except neighbors.

As far as the french doors, I can't say. Neither of my dogs jump up on my doors. If it is a storm door they sit there and stare in and stare in and stare in, as if they stare long enough I'll come to them.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

We are in rural area. Really in the middle of a field. I would spot check on him but he will be perfectly safe . Thanks for giving opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

I always assume that if they can damage or escape from a kennel, they will. I make sure they're secure and not able to make contact with anything you don't want them to.
Pirates Lair likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I am putting top and bottom rails and make sure our fence is fail proof. I will let him out with supervision. But I was thinking what you were...if they can they probably will with that screen in porch. It is huge and he would have a great place to relax . He is a pretty low key dog.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

It depends what you used to build your screen porch. If it's the heavy-gauge metal mesh ($$$), they likely can't scratch that. If it's light fiberglass screen cloth, then one paw up on it one time is enough to slice it. A critter off the porch can get them excited.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Exactly....he likes bugs too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page