Wrestling Match! Newlie 1, Mom 0 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Wrestling Match! Newlie 1, Mom 0

Well, Newlie and I inadvertently got into a wrestling match today. He is always trying to bring his nasty tennis ball from outside into the house and this is a no-no and he knows it. He has plenty of balls inside the house, by the way, but he still wants to bring the tennis balls in, I think partly because he just wants to and partly as a game. Sometimes, he hides the ball in his mouth in such a way that I can’t see it and then once he is inside, he flashes it at me.

I have recently found this way of positioning myself at the back door that works pretty well. I have a ball in my hand, and while he focuses on that, he drops his own ball and goes in and then I drop my ball and come in behind him. He always thinks the ball in my hand is better than the one he has, so it never fails.

But today, I am not positioned right and when Newlie drops his ball, I put my foot on it. Of course, that is a challenge and he begins to pry the ball from underneath my foot with his mouth. He is determined, but so am I, so it is a stalemate. He stops for a moment and I tell him to “get in the house” and he starts to go so I step off the ball. But then, he whirls around at the last minute to come back through the door to get the ball and I am trying to block him and pin him to the door with my leg. Needless to say, he finally got free, grabbed the ball and ran into the house. I could have killed him. I was like “YOU. DROP. THAT. BALL. RIGHT. NOW. MISTER! and he casually dropped it at my feet. I could swear I saw a grin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

Gotta love their mischievousness!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:05 PM

LOL, I feel your pain!

I've been doing the jolly ball battle with Carly for 7 years now. NO JOLLY BALLS IN THE HOUSE. She drags it back in through the dog door every chance she gets. I'm constantly having to hide it from her, or I'll fall over it in the middle of the living room.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:36 PM

I love the Newlie stories

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:00 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
Well, Newlie and I inadvertently got into a wrestling match today. He is always trying to bring his nasty tennis ball from outside into the house and this is a no-no and he knows it. He has plenty of balls inside the house, by the way, but he still wants to bring the tennis balls in, I think partly because he just wants to and partly as a game. Sometimes, he hides the ball in his mouth in such a way that I can’t see it and then once he is inside, he flashes it at me.

I have recently found this way of positioning myself at the back door that works pretty well. I have a ball in my hand, and while he focuses on that, he drops his own ball and goes in and then I drop my ball and come in behind him. He always thinks the ball in my hand is better than the one he has, so it never fails.

But today, I am not positioned right and when Newlie drops his ball, I put my foot on it. Of course, that is a challenge and he begins to pry the ball from underneath my foot with his mouth. He is determined, but so am I, so it is a stalemate. He stops for a moment and I tell him to “get in the house” and he starts to go so I step off the ball. But then, he whirls around at the last minute to come back through the door to get the ball and I am trying to block him and pin him to the door with my leg. Needless to say, he finally got free, grabbed the ball and ran into the house. I could have killed him. I was like “YOU. DROP. THAT. BALL. RIGHT. NOW. MISTER! and he casually dropped it at my feet. I could swear I saw a grin.
ROFL! This sounds so much like Enya! She knows the toys inside stay inside and the outside ones stay outside. But she always has to have something in her mouth. She has a teddy bear she always carries to the door when she wants to go out. So one morning I get to the door and say 'ous' and she drops it and I say 'out' and she grabs it as I go to open the door. I say 'ous' as I shut the door and she drops it. Yeah, next time I'm going to find a new word for ous as i catch myself saying 'out' for both and they sound the same. By the fourth rendition of this new game of hers I grab the toy and hold it behind my back. I open the door saying 'out' and she starts to go, spins and feints like she's going to grab it from behind me and then as I spin away from her she takes off out the door, grabbing the stick she'd left there the night before. She had the biggest grin on her face as she took off out the door.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I went to let Newlie back in the house today before I left for work. Of course, he had a ball in his mouth and when I told him to "Drop it," he feinted and lobbed the ball into the house past me. Having scored (and made) his point, Newlie mosied in to get a drink of water. Newlie 2, Mom 0.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

This is so funny! Thanks for letting us enjoy the "game" lol.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

Hahaha love it!

I've never known a breed of dog that is actually this cheeky! They know they aren't supposed to, they just think its funny to do it any way... you can see them laughing and having a great time at it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

And probably had his tongue hanging out one side of his mouth with a big grin! Love it!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

our first visit to my mother in law years ago...she put all her cats in the basement (they have boxes and food ect down there, it's their domain). Said no dogs in basement. So I went down to do some laundry. Told my girl to stay at the top of the stairs and she did. A few minutes later I hear thunk pa bump thunk and here comes her ball bouncing down the stairs. She is looking down at me delightedly.

"Mom, I dropped my balls by accident. Now I HAVE to go get it"

as she stampers down the steps to get her ball and try and catch a glimpse of a kitty before I get there to send her back up.

I can't lie, I laughed...and so dropping balls down the stairs became a thing. She has even taught it to the boy. I still think it's funny when I hear a ball come bouncing down and I look up to see someone's delighted face at the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page