Fleas- - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Fleas-

We have two dogs both get their spot on every month.-advocate- They dont particularly itch. Inside dogs apart from some free time in the garden if sunny. A minute ago i called them in from garden they brought some dusty mud, as i cleaned it i found a jumping flea on the floor. -never seen one but pretty sure it was a flea. Black and just jumping. Killed it. But scared now they will invade the house and the dogs. Are they on my boys at all or did they come from the garden? what can i do to keep them away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Spray your garden. The Advocate (sold as Advantage Multi in the US) will keep the dog from getting infested, but the fleas that are living in the garden can still hitch a ride inside.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Im feelig so disgusted and itchh. Have you ever had to deal with this? But they cant get on the dogs right? Do you know something non toxic to the dogs that i can soray the garden with? Ive just read about diatomaceous earth but says its for carpets i dont suppose good for garden have you heard of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what options you have in the UK. I use Wondercide yard spray (cedar oil), but it's apparently not available worldwide as someone just posted about it not being approved for import into Canada yet. There might be a similar product that's EU-approved.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

"Pet owners with large backyards can spray treat their gardens with a beneficial nematode solution to keep their pets safe from flea menace in the summer months. Nematodes are known to effectively kill adult fleas as well as their larvae and pupa in grass and soil. Beneficial nematodes are environmentally safe, so they do not damage crops and gardens. Studies have shown that these ‘non-toxic pest control operators’ can eliminate more than 90% of flea larvae within 24 hours of the first application."

Note that different species of bugs require specific Nematodes to do the job, so you need the one for fleas.

Green Gardner in the UK: https://www.greengardener.co.uk/prod...id_product=512

This one is at amazon UK (Green Gardner supplies amazon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawn-Flea-N.../dp/B01BLET05Y

"Nematodes occur naturally in the soil and attack a range of garden pests. This particular nematode helps to control flea pupae and larvae. Pack contains 3 sachets which should be applied to at weekly intervals to the lawn concentrating on the shady areas. Apply when soil temps are over 12C. Safe for you and you pets- No need to exclude pets or children after application."
  • "This natural control contains a mixture of nematodes, which attack flea larvae and pupae in the soil. Work best at soil temps over 12C
  • Each pack of Flea Control Nematodes contains 3 sachets, which will treat up to 50 sqm of lawn. Treat the area 3 times at weekly intervals using a complete sachet each time"

Moms
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:08 PM

I put Borax on the carpet and never had a problem since

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:14 PM

1.) How often do you wash your dogs?

2.) What shampoo do you wash them with?

Craig
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-and-chandler View Post
Thank you. Im feelig so disgusted and itchh. Have you ever had to deal with this? But they cant get on the dogs right? Do you know something non toxic to the dogs that i can soray the garden with? Ive just read about diatomaceous earth but says its for carpets i dont suppose good for garden have you heard of it?
It works outdoors, but I don't know how often you have to re-apply it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009L8ES64?psc=1

Personally, I go for the most toxic poison epa allows and I spray once a year and keep the dogs off it for a couple days.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page