Will our German Shephed Protect us - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Will our German Shephed Protect us

Our Shepherd is a family pet. He loves our kids (10 year old twins boy-girl) and they play with him constantly. My point is he is the most loving animal and now we have given him the roam of the house at 1 1/2 years old to watch over the house. How can I tell if this loving dog will viciously attack an intruder? Im just wondering if he's going to embrace a stranger at 3am in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:35 AM
Master Member

There's a 99% chance he won't. Most dogs aren't natural "vicious attack dogs". He may, and that's a big may, bark and act aggressive but it's almost guaranteed that it's a front. If you want to know for sure pay a trainer to come by in a bite suit and put him in a scenario where you'd need protecting and see how he reacts.
Femfa likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Master Member

Personal protection is a training process that builds on the dog's natural defense drives. They don't all come pre-packaged with the ability to defend a home.
Slamdunc likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Crowned Member

Probably not as strong attack dog, but probably as good vocal deterrent. If your dog possessed the type fortitude to really aggressively take on intruder at 3am, you would have seen the traits already in other scenarios.
Slamdunc and ksotto333 like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

The first thing I'd pay close attention to johnpatrick, is how does he react if one of your kids gets up at 3am. Leave some lights on.
Slamdunc likes this.

Doc

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpatrick View Post
Our Shepherd is a family pet. He loves our kids (10 year old twins boy-girl) and they play with him constantly. My point is he is the most loving animal and now we have given him the roam of the house at 1 1/2 years old to watch over the house. How can I tell if this loving dog will viciously attack an intruder? Im just wondering if he's going to embrace a stranger at 3am in the morning.
I'm 99.9% sure mine would repel and intruder considering the extensive training we do continually. Having said that, I also have an alarm system in my home that is turned on every night, we sleep well.

A dog, even a well trained one is just one of several methods of making your home an undesirable target for intruders, consider getting an alarm system if you don't have one already.

Safety is not Expensive, it's Priceless.

Kim
Slamdunc and car2ner like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

As I just posted in the other thread about defending against burglars, think carefully about whether you really want this. It can result in the dog being killed or seriously injured by a bad guy who's not playing or training in a bite suit, who would just as soon kill your dog as "be deterred."

Here's what I just posted in the other thread:

It recently happened to the daughter of an acquaintance. Her dog tried to protect the home. It got several good bites on the burglar....and then the burglar beat the living crap out of the dog with a pipe or flashlight, breaking the dog's jaw in two places, breaking many ribs, destroying an eye, and leaving it near-death in a bloody heap for a loving owner to come home to. Can you imagine?

Her dog lived, as she was home soon and rushed it to the emergency vet, where it faced lots of surgeries and a long stay in trauma care. She would have rather had burglars take anything in her house instead of doing this to her beloved dog.
car2ner and Femfa like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM

We like to put it this way. It is not so much Beware of the Dog but Beware of the Humans that the dog has alerted.
Diegotxe and Erica0629 like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Along the lines of what Magwart said. I am not so worried about whether my dog will stop an intruder from just walking in my house or even stealing from me. What I want is a dog that if aggression or violence is shown to me or my children she will stop the person. Without ever being tested, and I pray she never is, I do believe mine would. But I also researched to find a breeder who had the type of dogs that I was looking for.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

Deja barks when she hears something at night while loose in the house. She is quiet as a mouse when crated though as I recently discovered. Last week, 4 family members from out of state came in late in the middle of the night while we were already asleep. We had crated her (in the living room) so they wouldn't get startled by a barking GSD. Well, she never let out a whine even, and we didn't hear them come in. Very surprising. Still I am not worried; I refuse to get paranoid about 'stuff'. Just learned to not crate her when it is not needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page