• 2 Post By Henricus
  • 2 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By carmspack
  • 2 Post By Jenny720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Rehoming (update)

Hi guys,

I've been postponing this for a while, mainly because I didn't have anything definitive to say up until two weeks ago. A few months have gone by since I last posted something here and obviously a lot of things happened in the meanwhile. To keep it short: I tried the best I could with what I have, but it is not enough for what my buddy needs and in the end also not for me.
Two and a half months ago I started looking for a new home for him again. Had contact with a few people, but none were the right ones. A few weeks ago I got contacted by a couple who were very interested, but also cautious. They wanted to know all the details and informed themselves best they could about the issues with my dog. A week later they came by and it felt right. We went out and walked for more than an hour (btw, Madoc is quite insecure and afraid off-leash around strong and dominante dogs). They instantly fell in love with Madoc and really wanted to give him a good home. The only issue was that their dog had just had surgery on it's leg, which immobilised it for a few weeks (it cannot run and definitely not play with a dog). Full recovery can take up to two months and they didn't think it was fair to keep me waiting that long. They also think it is crucial to train with Madoc right away, waiting two months wouldn't do him any good as well. The plan now is that they will have a tryout weekend with Madoc while their dog stays at their daughter's house. If it goes well they will try and introduce the dogs while leashed (which probably won't go well, so I'm not sure if that's a good idea). Their dog has to stay crated most of the day, or with them on the couch. Their plan is to keep the dogs separated indoors until their dog fully recovers. They have a large garden and coincidentally (for the people that have been following this) live right next to the beach.

The two weeks have gone by and I did my entrance exam for university yesterday. I wanted to wait with rehoming after that, because I wouldn't be able to study otherwise.
They are coming by tomorrow to pick him up at 2:30pm.. It will be a slightly strange goodbye, because it might definitive, but if it goes really bad, they will bring him back on Sunday and try again two weeks from now.

I hope his crate fits in their car (size xxl) and I will give his toys and favourite blanket with them. Does anybody have some tips regarding anything I wrote? Is there something extra I can do to make this transition easier for him?

(They have agreed to sign a contract which states that they cannot rehome Madoc without contacting me first. Not that I have anything to say about it, since he won't be mine anymore; but I want to know about it and if possible take him back or at least help find a suitable place.)
car2ner and Mudypoz like this.

"Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not."
- Epicurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

For peace of mind, my biggest tips in selecting anyone for rehoming:

1. Check with their veterinarian as a reference -- call and find out about the quality of care provided their other dog, and any other pets they had in the past. If the vet needs permission to release that info, ask that they give it.

2. Visit their home -- see for yourself how their dog lives, its condition, and how they interact with it in their own environment. If neighbors are outside, I chat with them too.

3. If they have a trainer already, I would also do a trainer reference check too. For example, in the US, I've had a trainer tell me on the down-low about people who come to group classes a couple of times and then drop out, never finish anything, and don't do "homework" exercises. That's helpful information.
Stevenzachsmom and Mudypoz like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

Hi Henricus , so very nice to hear from you again.
Hope you are well .

Big congratulations on your university plans.

here are some things which you may want to suggest to the potential new owners .

a weekend trial is not much time to show how the dog CAN be . He probably will be anxious , jumpy,
aware of the other dogs presence (scent saturation) so may be expecting a "dog" to be coming around the
corner .

they should not expect the dog to be loving or affectionate -- may even avoid

the best thing is to NOT hover constantly paying attention or watching the dog to analyse every action an reaction.

that is a lot of social pressure . Plus there is an unease when you know you are being followed and watched .

give space --

I do hope that this works for you .
Stevenzachsmom likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

@Magwart

Thanks for the tips. Having no car (it's a two and a half hour drive from here) makes it very difficult to visit them. I asked them to send me pictures of their home and a very good friend of mine (someone I trust) lives closeby and will visit them soon.

The tip about their vet and perhaps a trainer they had is a good one. I will see if I can do that.

"Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not."
- Epicurus
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

@carmspack

Nice to hear from you aswel!
I am doing ok under current circumstances, but I'm sure that will change after tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks, I hope I passed the exam.

Thanks for the tips! I passed it to the new owners and he already answered me thanking for it. Really appreciated the tips. They are experienced dog owners, but are very humble in saying they are not professionals.

- Epicurus
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Henricus,
It is great to hear from you!I often wonder how things are going with you and Madoc.No additional advice for you,just wishing you both the best

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

I will just add if your concerned about the dogs getting along. when the dogs meet it is a good idea just to walk with the dogs- a nice long walk on a trail or somewhere away from either persons home rather then a front to front formal meeting on leash between the dogs.
carmspack and Mudypoz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Thank you for checking in! I've been wondering how you guys were doing, it's good to hear from you. Keep us updated, I'm sending good thoughts for both of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page