I've been postponing this for a while, mainly because I didn't have anything definitive to say up until two weeks ago. A few months have gone by since I last posted something here and obviously a lot of things happened in the meanwhile. To keep it short: I tried the best I could with what I have, but it is not enough for what my buddy needs and in the end also not for me.
Two and a half months ago I started looking for a new home for him again. Had contact with a few people, but none were the right ones. A few weeks ago I got contacted by a couple who were very interested, but also cautious. They wanted to know all the details and informed themselves best they could about the issues with my dog. A week later they came by and it felt right. We went out and walked for more than an hour (btw, Madoc is quite insecure and afraid off-leash around strong and dominante dogs). They instantly fell in love with Madoc and really wanted to give him a good home. The only issue was that their dog had just had surgery on it's leg, which immobilised it for a few weeks (it cannot run and definitely not play with a dog). Full recovery can take up to two months and they didn't think it was fair to keep me waiting that long. They also think it is crucial to train with Madoc right away, waiting two months wouldn't do him any good as well. The plan now is that they will have a tryout weekend with Madoc while their dog stays at their daughter's house. If it goes well they will try and introduce the dogs while leashed (which probably won't go well, so I'm not sure if that's a good idea). Their dog has to stay crated most of the day, or with them on the couch. Their plan is to keep the dogs separated indoors until their dog fully recovers. They have a large garden and coincidentally (for the people that have been following this) live right next to the beach.
The two weeks have gone by and I did my entrance exam for university yesterday. I wanted to wait with rehoming after that, because I wouldn't be able to study otherwise.
They are coming by tomorrow to pick him up at 2:30pm.. It will be a slightly strange goodbye, because it might definitive, but if it goes really bad, they will bring him back on Sunday and try again two weeks from now.
I hope his crate fits in their car (size xxl) and I will give his toys and favourite blanket with them. Does anybody have some tips regarding anything I wrote? Is there something extra I can do to make this transition easier for him?
(They have agreed to sign a contract which states that they cannot rehome Madoc without contacting me first. Not that I have anything to say about it, since he won't be mine anymore; but I want to know about it and if possible take him back or at least help find a suitable place.)
"Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not."