Training Downs-Please Don't Call 911!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Training Downs-Please Don't Call 911!!!

Those who saw a thread I started yesterday know that I have just started working on getting Newlie to go “down” when in motion so that if he ever gets loose, I could maybe prevent him from running out into a street. Well, we were working on it this morning and caused a bit of a neighborhood uproar. (Sigh)

I am relatively soft-spoken person and I learned early on that if I used my regular voice, Newlie would just blow me off. One of the many things I had to learn how to do was to talk louder, deeper and more emphatically to help him get the message that what I said wasn’t optional.

So, this morning, I was working with him out in the yard and having him do a number of downs just as we went through our morning routine. After a few minutes of this, I hit the ball, Newlie chased it and as he started back to me I yelled “DOWN’ in my loudest voice and pointed my finger at the ground. He laid down immediately (instead of running a few more steps before he did) and I was thrilled! Newlie proceeded to duplicate that four or five more times and, of course, I was effusive in telling him how wonderful he was! Then, we switched to some different things and after a few more minutes came back to our “downs.” On the next four or five tries, despite my bellows, he reverted back to running a few steps before going down, so I told him “good,” but no jumping around like an idiot.

Anyway, I had been hearing some background neighborhood noise and chatter, but I wasn’t really paying much attention as my focus was on Newlie. Finally, I hear someone close by that sounded like she was calling to me, so Newlie and I walk up to the gate. She said “Honey, are you OK? Do you need help?” It took me a minute to compute that evidently she had thought I was in some kind of trouble, being attacked or something. I told her no, that I was fine and explained I was training the dog, apologized for the disturbance and thanked her for checking. The lady was very nice and then I saw her turn and motion to someone or some people out of my line of sight and say “Oh no, she’s fine, she is just training the dog.” Could my humiliation be any more complete? I was ready to sink into the ground.

I guess I should be glad that they didn’t call the police and I didn’t have to explain to THEM that I was “just training the dog.” Of course, in my defense, I don’t really think I sounded like a female in distress, I probably sounded more like I needed an exorcist. My guess is that they are not usually listed in the phone book, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Absolutely hilarious!!

2 GSD's - General and Arrow
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:18 PM

haha good story

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Kona |Long Hair GSD | 55 lbs | 3 years old |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

Love it! Too funny! Those that don't work with animals must truly think those of us that do, are flipping nuts, lol!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM

Lolol!Great story!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Master Member

Hahaha! That's great! It's almost like when the neighbourhood knows of that one dog because the owner always yells it's name super loud after it barks.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

Oh man, I thought that maybe the motion of the DOWN command was pressing buttons on your phone. And I could just hear a 9-1-1 call come in with someone yelling DOWN!!!

I think the dog is coming a few more steps before going down because you overdid it on praise when he did it right, so he is anticipating getting praised again. I am not sure why you are saying "good" for this response if that is not what you want. I think that sometimes a little negative communication, an eh-eh! can help fine tune an exercise and get it right, rather better than giving mediocre praise for a mediocre performance.
car2ner likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:41 PM

tee hee hee hee. If your neighbor thought that you were a crazy dog person, they have confirmed it now.
wonderful story.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Oh man, I thought that maybe the motion of the DOWN command was pressing buttons on your phone. And I could just hear a 9-1-1 call come in with someone yelling DOWN!!!

I think the dog is coming a few more steps before going down because you overdid it on praise when he did it right, so he is anticipating getting praised again. I am not sure why you are saying "good" for this response if that is not what you want. I think that sometimes a little negative communication, an eh-eh! can help fine tune an exercise and get it right, rather better than giving mediocre praise for a mediocre performance.
Hahahaha!

Well, I don't know, you might be right. Here was my thinking. Newlie knows "down," but a stationary "down," not one that comes when you are running. So, since it was new to him, (today was only the second day we worked on it.) I was pleased by the fact that my voice and pointing at the ground was enough to get him to lay down while running, even if he did take take a couple of steps before he did it. Yesterday, I put a little expression in my voice because I wanted him to feel that he at least got part of it right. Today, we upped the ante, though, because the first four or five times he did it, he did exactly what he was supposed to, he went down as soon as I said it and I did everything but put a crown on him. Then, after a few minutes of doing other things, we went back to it and that's when he reverted to taking the few extra steps again. So, I kind of felt like he was still trying to figure out what I wanted, so I said "good," but with very little expression in my voice. You might be be right, though, maybe a eh-eh would have been better, but I guess the timing would have to be right so that he doesn't think the eh-eh means don't lay down. I don't want to confuse him, anymore than I already do!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
Hahahaha!

Well, I don't know, you might be right. Here was my thinking. Newlie knows "down," but a stationary "down," not one that comes when you are running. So, since it was new to him, (today was only the second day we worked on it.) I was pleased by the fact that my voice and pointing at the ground was enough to get him to lay down while running, even if he did take take a couple of steps before he did it. Yesterday, I put a little expression in my voice because I wanted him to feel that he at least got part of it right. Today, we upped the ante, though, because the first four or five times he did it, he did exactly what he was supposed to, he went down as soon as I said it and I did everything but put a crown on him. Then, after a few minutes of doing other things, we went back to it and that's when he reverted to taking the few extra steps again. So, I kind of felt like he was still trying to figure out what I wanted, so I said "good," but with very little expression in my voice. You might be be right, though, maybe a eh-eh would have been better, but I guess the timing would have to be right so that he doesn't think the eh-eh means don't lay down. I don't want to confuse him, anymore than I already do!
Ok, mediocre praise does sound better in that situation than negative communication if you don't believe it is fair. I try not to do something new too many times close together. 2-3 times and then move on. I also like to give them some space to think about it. So maybe we don't do it the next day or for 3-4 days, than 2-3 times again we work on it.
car2ner likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page