Name help needed!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennessee
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
kenzandel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 74
Name help needed!!

We are in the process of applying for my dog's PAL, and I want to be able to give her a really nice "registered" name. We got her from a pretty unfortunate situation (aka, no papers), but she will start competing in AKC Obedience and Rally competitions here in a few months, so I need to get her listed with the AKC.

Her call name is Ellie, but her 'real' name is Elsa, and we would love for that to be included in the name that we put on her paperwork for the AKC. I know it isn't necessary, but it's something that I really want to do for her, just because! I included a picture of her- I know she isn't stacked, and this definitely is not the most flattering photo, but it gives a general idea of her appearance.

So- give me all the name ideas you've got!

Thanks in advance you guys!
Attached Images
 
kenzandel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Tennessee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 373
Elsa vom Reiner Schnee

Elsa from driven snow.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Tennessee is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
kenzandel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Elsa vom Reiner Schnee

Elsa from driven snow.
Ohhh I really like that. All of the ideas I have gotten from people up until now have been Frozen related, lol. I love this. My German sucks too much to come up with this kind of stuff on my own.
kenzandel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Tennessee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzandel View Post
Ohhh I really like that. All of the ideas I have gotten from people up until now have been Frozen related, lol. I love this. My German sucks too much to come up with this kind of stuff on my own.
Ha! Glad I could be helpful! First thing that popped into my head and I ran it through google translate, my wife took German not me. Lol

Beautiful girl you've got there and she's got lovely structure. You're both lucky ladies to have found each other

PS I've found an alternate translation of engelsrein - pure as the driven snow. In my Spanish studies I've found I needed to check a couple places to make sure the translation was correct including context. Although I imagine that one's taken by now, either way have fun picking it out it's nearly as bad as baby names LOL

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Tennessee is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
kenzandel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Ha! Glad I could be helpful! First thing that popped into my head and I ran it through google translate, my wife took German not me. Lol

Beautiful girl you've got there and she's got lovely structure. You're both lucky ladies to have found each other

PS I've found an alternate translation of engelsrein - pure as the driven snow. In my Spanish studies I've found I needed to check a couple places to make sure the translation was correct including context. Although I imagine that one's taken by now, either way have fun picking it out it's nearly as bad as baby names LOL
Thank you!! I got pretty lucky that she turned out as wonderful as she has. She's a joy to have

Ok so if I were to use "engelsrein" instead, how would you word that as a name? And what would that translate to in the end? Sorry for all of the questions!

Last edited by kenzandel; 08-10-2017 at 05:25 PM.
kenzandel is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Tennessee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzandel View Post
Thank you!! I got pretty lucky that she turned out as wonderful as she has. She's a joy to have

Ok so if it were to use "engelsrein" instead, how would you word that as a name? Sorry for all of the questions!
Well you're free to name her as you please of course!

But it's my understanding that:

Vom or Von - means from, which is why you will typically see it in GSD pedigrees.

Dog name vom or von kennel name

I'm no expert on which one you pick and why, but there's an extensive thread you can read here.

Other than that, I'm REALLY not the guy to explain GSD naming conventions. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who know's more than I!
kenzandel likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Tennessee is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Moderator
 
car2ner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,420
I had never heard of the P.A.L. before. Interesting. With the photo you supplied I'd be tempted to go with Ellie of the Morning Light. Easy for people to read and spell on trial forms, too (important to anyone who has been a trial secretary).

She is beautiful

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

car2ner is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
kenzandel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I had never heard of the P.A.L. before. Interesting. With the photo you supplied I'd be tempted to go with Ellie of the Morning Light. Easy for people to read and spell on trial forms, too (important to anyone who has been a trial secretary).

She is beautiful
Thank you! I hadn't either until we started talking about entering AKC events with her. I like that idea as well!
kenzandel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome