adult gsd in outhouse? is it okay? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Smile adult gsd in outhouse? is it okay?

Hello everyone! im new on the gsd forums and im almost definitely going to rehome an adult gsd! i have never owned them before so i just wanted to ask a question on housing..

Im planning to take in a 5 year old who already sleeps in an outhouse and spends quite a bit of his time outside.
Would it be suitable to house a gsd in a heated, lighted outhouse/shed? it will be a good size. in there he will have his foodbowls and bed, and some toys. He will sleep there and stay there when no one is at home. 5 days a week from 8am to 4pm he will have the option to be inside his hut, or be in a portion of the garden which is 8 ft by 3 ft with a lot of toys and things to keep him entertained.
When we are at home, he will be taken for a walk/jog and exercised and have training sessions to teach him new tricks etc. in the evening he may be allowed in the house on some days and on weekends more time will be devoted to him outside, as well as some more time inside relaxing.

Since he is already used to spending his nights outside, even though his current situation is unheated but we will provide that, and in the uk the temperature never drops too low or gets too high, all seasons, i thought this would be okay but what do you think? let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

You cannot do this dog a bigger favor than make him an inside dog. Just because he has lived like that, doesn't mean he prefers it. GSDs love and crave their people, not their bowls or toys as company on a stamp-sized piece of dirt. You may have to work on house training as he probably has never lived in a house besides being there as 'guest'.Besides leaving him lone outside puts him at risk for weather changes, being stolen or teased.
(First I thought you meant by 'out house' an outdoor bath room. To me that would be just as bad of an idea)
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

I think dogs, especially GSDs are much happier with their people. I can't imagine my dogs living outside all the time. It seems like a very lonely life for the dog. Is there a reason you don't want him in your house?

BTW, I had to laugh at your 'outhouse.' Over here, that would be an outdoor country toilet for someone who had no indoor plumbing. lol! Gave me quite a visual.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

Since the gsd you are planning to adopt is used to sleeping outside in his dog house and being outside most of the time, I think your plans are fine. I don't think light is needed since the dog has free access to the fenced in area. His coat will probably be thicker since he has been kept outside and the climate is temperate, I don't think heat will be needed as he may be too warm. But it is nice option to have especially when he gets older. If possible maybe his outside area could be enlarged as 8 ft. by 3 ft. is a bit small for a large dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 PM

I may be the only person on this forum who has actually used an "outhouse" before (years ago) ... I saw your title for this thread and was horrified!!

Personally I would find it impossible to leave my boy outside rather than inside. But outside is better than the inside of an "Alabama Outhouse".
selzer, Stevenzachsmom and RZZNSTR like this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:44 PM

He'll probably be just fine with your plan.

If it was me I'd get him a crate and let him sleep indoors at night. If the weather isn't overly hot (GSDs take normal cold just fine) and he's got cover for precipitation, I don't see the difference in being outside or inside during the day when his people aren't home.

It's the people not the dwelling, spend as much time as possible with him as you can.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

It isnt me specifically who doesn't want him inside- id be more than happy to keep him with me!! there's 1 member of the family who isn't in favour of keeping him inside, plus he is used to staying outside and has done for 5 years. I'd probably sneak him inside if im honest!!

and oh my, over here an out house is just a building outside!! im unsure on how to edit the title though..
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

for his comfort we thought a heater and lighting would be appropriate!! and the 8 ft by 3 ft is only going to be whilst we are at work, when we are home he will have full access to the garden!!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

oh gosh i didnt mean it at all as a toilet !! i meant it as a building outside as that is what he has been living in with his previous owner! it would be just like a spare room except.. not connected to the house
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

see that is exactly what i thought. chances are when we are not home he would be confined to 1 room or crated anyway (although i feel it would be a bit cruel to crate him for that long.. ) so that why i thought hey, why dont we just get an outdoor hut and give him access to some of the garden ? when we are home, he will be with us though (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page