Biting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Biting

Hello Everyone, I have 5 moths old german shepherd mix and I thought him heel, down, come and sit. But problem is whenever i want to stroke his head, after 5 seconds he starts to mouthing my hand and if i move my hand away, he goes crazy, he jumps on me/ barks at me etc. Do you guys have any opinion about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Master Member

Mine does this the second my hang comes towards his face when he's hyper and ready to play, which is almost always. Once he gets tired or whatever he sits still and wants to be loved and petted on. I just avoid it during those times when I know he'll get mouthy. I know he'll outgrow it eventually
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Sounds about right, they don't call them land sharks for nothing. Shepherding breed puppies are going to bite, a lot, for quite awhile.

Personally, I do three things to deal with this. (AND AS ALWAYS THIS IS MY PERSONAL METHODS ONLY AND WOULD BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DEPENDING ON THE DOG)

1. I work on redirecting with toys & play time. Teach her if she needs to bite something that's what her toys are for and if she's really wound up I'll typically work to calm her down, distract her, then take her outside to burn that energy off (a game of 2 ball with some training mixed in works very well for her). The three step process before going outside is to prevent her from learning that if she attacks me, then she gets to go play.

2. The command "gentle!" for when i don't have a toy handy. Teach her that gentle play and mouthing is different than hard bites and to be mindful of the sensitivity of human skin as she grows older and more powerful.

3. If she really bites me hard or unexpectedly I'll pop her bottom command her Nein! then ignore her till she asks for forgiveness. I'll then tell her it's okay, give her some love, and take her to go play. Again the three part process is important, she messed up & she got punished for it, but I'm accepting her apology and strengthening our bond.

ETA The third option is very rare as the first two are working very well, I'm blood free for a couple weeks now LOL

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 06:38 PM

When I was getting ready to bring my pup home, I had read online that hand feeding them kibble goes a long way.
Id grab a handful and let him eat it out of my palms, at first he accidentally nibbled me a few times but by assertively telling him NO, he started to be more cautious and now avoids my hands. This is also helpful so dogs don't get aggressive when you approach them while eating.

If i'm playing with him and gets excited enough to put his mouth around my hand, he wont actually put pressure. But if he does I remove my hand and put it around his snout in a solid grip, no pressure/squeeze. Kind of the reverse of what he just did to me. This has been very useful in making him more cautious about my hand in his mouth.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 AM
Crowned Member

Redirection, an "Ouch" followed by an Easy or Gentle command, and walking away/timeout are what I used. Though for backup I always carried plenty of paper towels to sop up the blood. My puppy is now 7 months, and I still carry the paper towels 😊. I also found that giving her my hand to mouth seemed to decrease her anxiety much like a pacifier does for a baby, and really seemed to accelerate our trust bond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page