pal for my girl - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

pal for my girl

hey guys!

Seeking some advice on good companion dogs for german shepards, I have a one year old sassy female. She is good with all dogs she plays with.In particular dogs that aren't piggies with food , my shepard nibbles throughout the day concerned another dog would eat all her lunch! Ideally a dog that would be ok with the same food as her.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Crowned Member

Why don't you feed her twice a day and get done with all these food issues? Don't leave food out. Remove the bowl after ten minutes, eaten or not. Another dog can get his own food that way and you avoid a lot of possessive behavior.
Most healthy dogs at a good, lean weight are piggies with food.
My dog Deja, prefers rough playing males. Every dog is different. She always enjoys male GSDs so that will be our next pup. For you, I don't know your dog so you will have to go by what works for her and you. One more piece of advice; definitely get a male. The GSDs females are generally not so great with other females and these fights can get real ugly once they both mature. Also your dog is very young. Are you up to that task and do you have enough time to work both? Good luck on your search.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

Agree strongly about getting a male.

Have you already completed your basic OB foundation on the dog you have? If not, training two young dogs at once is hopeless for most people. You want the existing dog to be a good role model for the newcomer, and that won't happen if it's still a crazy puppy itself.

Having two adolescents at once can be...hard. Sometimes people want another puppy to drain off the hyper puppy energy that's still in the dog they have. It doesn't work that way. You just get two bonkers dogs then instead of one.

I would also plan on feeding in crates, separately, if your dog has food protection issues. That's often an early warning sign of resource guarding behavior developing, and I'd be inclined to work through that before adding another dog.
car2ner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

seems to be a trend to get a pet for the pet .

get out with this sassy one year old and do some quality time training. YOU and the dog . Not the dog playing
with other dogs .

Get a bond -- which with a GSD can be awesome and very rewarding , something which you may never experience
with another pooch in the house because they will be their own little gang and you will be a facilitator of food and fun.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Knighted Member

Shepherd. Don't get a pet for your pet. Get another dog if you want another one in your life to enhance YOURS. Your dog is happy for you to give it time and attention, not necessarily to split it. Be aware that your dog is still young, and when matured, may decide it doesn't want another dog around.

Your dog grazes (unnatural behavior) because food is always available. Build some anticipation and excitement for meal time by limiting how long it stays down. It may take a time or two of the dog not finishing, but eventually they will learn you snooze, you lose. This will help you to be able to feed two dogs (if you get another in the future) .. each with its own bowl and a time limit to eat.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page