Soon to reserve my first Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Galathiel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Soon to reserve my first Shepherd

Hello all, I've done some searching on the forum but can't find the specifics I'm looking for so here it goes.

Me and my girlfriend recently purchased a house and have decide to make a family with a couple dogs. She's always wanted a Morkie and myself has always wanted a Sheperd. I've owned several dogs through out my life, not trained as well as I would have liked, though now being a bit older I'm ready to put in the effort to do it right.

Anyways, my question is, with two totally different type of dogs. Has anyone dealt with this and found a good time frame?

Fairly mature Morkie with puppy shepherd, somewhat mature shepherd with puppy morkie, or get them both as pups a couple weeks apart?

Just looking for some insight so we can move ahead with out reservations. Thanks in advance! Also leaning towards a female shepherd as of now as I think that may affect the situation. Morkie will also be female.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:44 AM

I suggest that when you see your breeder that you let them know about the Morkie. A good breeder may be able to help you chose a pup that will do well.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Knighted Member

I've had a GSD and small dogs twice. The first time was a shepherd, sheltie, and Pomeranian. They all got along fine. The second time, was more recently, and it was not as successful. I had an older papillon when I brought Asher home. The pap just couldn't adjust, so he went to live with my mom (for several reasons not just the GSD). The GSD did nothing wrong, the little guy was just too nervous, would hide behind furniture, clearly unhappy.

A lot depends on the temperament of the GSD, obviously. But also on the little dog.

I'll probably never get another toy breed. If I did, I'd ideally get the smaller dog first...raise and train it for several years. Then bring the GSD home. Definitely get opposite sexes. And then invest the time to train the GSD well...not an option with this breed. A well trained GSD will be your best dog ever. A poorly trained, under-stimulated GSD can be a nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

I've been living with a mix of dogs for almost 10 years including a toy breed.

It happened for me because when I met my husband, he was a widower with his late wife's toy dog, and I already had my female GSD.

He and I together adopted another adult GSD, so for a long time we had the two shepherds and the toy.

The one we adopted died of cancer, and we got a white shepherd puppy two years ago. He grew up with the toy breed and has really always been wonderful with her without a ton of effort on my part. He weighs 90 lbs now but if she growls at him he will throw himself at her feet.

My other two shepherds were not nearly so easy with the toy. Constant vigilance, good management at meal times. I never ever leave them alone together. I have never left them alone together in all these years.

My old male was very predatory. he never acted predatory toward the Pom, in fact he would stick up for her when my GSD bitch was being a bully and I didn't catch it. But one day my female got mad at the Pom and bit her. Before i had timr to act, My old male heard the commotion, ran around the corner and saw the female shepherd with the Pom in her mouth. He switched on, ran in and also grabbed the Pom.

I think I was in a panic blackout and I may have just thrown my 75lb male shepherd across the room on adrenaline...I knew I had about a nanosecond before they killed her. I was able to get them off the Pom and she had only very minor injuries. I went for him first because he would bite to kill where my female just wanted to teach her a lesson.

One and one would be less stressful that 2 big on one little, but I will never do it again. Two shepherds get in a spat they are evenly matched in weaponry and armour. Shepherd and a toy breed, not so. Plus little dogs can stimulate prey drive.

Your could get lucky like my now 2 year old and how he treats my toy breed. Though he did growl at her once or twice when he was younger and eating in the x pen, she would run around outside his pen trying to steal dropped food. I immediately put a stop to that because you can't afford to let resentment grow and I wasn't going to let him practice growling over food. the other dog was hassling him, it wasn't fair, I should have prevented it in the first place. All 3 of my dogs eat separated to this day.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:08 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

What's a morkie?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
What's a morkie?
Wretched designer cross. Maltese xYorkie.

If your girlfriend wants a toy breed there are plenty. And lots of crosses in shelters that you don't pay a thousand bucks for. Yorkies are fabulous dogs if you can find a good breeder.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Crowned Member

Much depends on the temperament of the GSD. Mine have all been working lines and not good with toy dogs in the home but fine when meeting them outside. I personally would not have this combo.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Knighted Member

It's constant vigilance. It's zoning your house. Just in case. I had an elderly (12 y.o.) small dog (14 lb) when I brought home my puppy. I never let the pup jump on the dog or get in his space. I required him to respect the dog, as well as my 6 lb Persian cat. Now, sadly, the old guy is gone, but my 90 lb WL GSD loves my 6 lb cat and still listens to her if she doesn't want his nose in her business.

I still baby gate the house if I go to a different part of the house or run outside to get something ... just so my cat has a dog free zone to run to.
dogfaeries likes this.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:14 PM

I had older Italian Greyhounds when I got the first GSD puppy. They were kept separated for the most part. Carly was very good with the iggies, but I never left them alone together, and really only had them together when I could stand there and watch them. You shouldn't expect to have a GSD and a toy dog co-existing without a lot of work and vigilance.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

Also little dogs seem to feel superior when you prevent trouble with the big dog. You can compare it with the "popularity" of a (human) teacher's pet. This can backfire big time if the big dog finally sees an opening for pay back time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page