Vrijheid Kennel - Thoughts? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Vrijheid Kennel - Thoughts?

I'm looking to get a Dutch shepherd for my next puppy and settled on Vrijheid as the breeder I'd like to buy from. I'm looking for a more driver, confident, intense dog for sport but didn't want another GSD as between my pup and our too cats it's like an old western movie with the tumbleweeds sometimes in our house.

Anyone have any experience or stories they can share about her dogs? I've read her website, watched her videos and emailed with her and I'm currently on the waiting list. Just wondering if maybe I missed something.

Thanks

ETA forgot to add their website http://www.dutchshepherds.us

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18

Last edited by Tennessee; 08-05-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:14 AM

Although sometimes shorter, a Dutchie is going to have a very similar coat to the GSD, shedding included

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Elite Member

I like brindle dogs, so I like the Dutch over the Belgian. My understanding is that they are basically very similar dogs. Although, I know the Belgian is more popular and there are many reputable breeders out there. If you are set on the Dutch, I would touch base with Bailif on here, he has a couple of Belgians and has commented on the Dutch in a few threads. The breeder you linked has nice dogs and obviously works them. I just wish the breeder would put their location. We live in a big country, it would be helpful to know where they are located.

As an aside, the first time I saw a Dutch was in a news clip talking about different dogs that people get as protoction dogs without training them and how most of them just let the intruder in. Then they did a clip with trained protection dogs. One of them was a nice looking Dutch. They said that dog was 130 pound. I thought to myself that can't be true. I started to read up on the breed and there is no way a Dutch should be that huge. Either they had a mutt or they were lying.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eddie1976E; 08-05-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Although sometimes shorter, a Dutchie is going to have a very similar coat to the GSD, shedding included
Similar but not as bad, essentially like a Mal from my experience.

There's more reasons than the shedding, that was supposed to be a little knowing wink for us German Shedder owners.

But the point of this thread was more about 1 specific kennel than it was about Dutchies in general.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
I like brindle dogs, so I like the Dutch over the Belgian. My understanding is that they are basically very similar dogs. Although, I know the Belgian is more popular and there are many reputable breeders out there. If you are set on the Dutch, I would touch base with Bailif on here, he has a couple of Belgians and has commented on the Dutch in a few threads. The breeder you linked has nice dogs and obviously works them. I just wish the breeder would put their location. We live in a big country, it would be helpful to know where they are located.

As an aside, the first time I saw a Dutch was in a news clip talking about different dogs that people get as protoction dogs without training them and how most of them just let the intruder in. Then they did a clip with trained protection dogs. One of them was a nice looking Dutch. They said that dog was 130 pound. I thought to myself that can't be true. I started to read up on the breed and there is no way a Dutch should be that huge. Either they had a mutt or they were lying.
Thanks for the heads up I'll shoot him an IM!!

She's in Key Peninsula, WA. Used to be in Utah somewhere.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

There are three types of Dutch: wirehair, long coat and standard. Check out the Dutch breeders as well. My experience (with other breeds) is that dogs over there are cheaper while still good quality and it gives you a nice vacation when getting the pup yourself. I am sure a Dutch pup fits in a carry on carrier.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

I see two of them train. They're pretty different, but nice dogs. Both are stable, solid dogs, that are good with people and I've never seen either one show any dog aggression. I think they do well in part because the owner is really good at being methodical and detailed in her training and she's able to progress things in the right steps for each of them. I think I would have made two different types of messes with them.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I see two of them train. They're pretty different, but nice dogs. Both are stable, solid dogs, that are good with people and I've never seen either one show any dog aggression. I think they do well in part because the owner is really good at being methodical and detailed in her training and she's able to progress things in the right steps for each of them. I think I would have made two different types of messes with them.
Why do you say that?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
There are three types of Dutch: wirehair, long coat and standard. Check out the Dutch breeders as well. My experience (with other breeds) is that dogs over there are cheaper while still good quality and it gives you a nice vacation when getting the pup yourself. I am sure a Dutch pup fits in a carry on carrier.
I'd like to do that one day for sure, visit Germany as well. But it seems a little counterproductive to spend 5k to save a couple hundred

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Why do you say that?
I'm not real detail oriented. I'm more of big picture type, and I think they need the details right the first time. I think they're similar to Mals in that way, out of my league.
lhczth likes this.

Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page