Looking for some info on a Washington St breeder & info on training 2 dogs at once - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 3 Post By Dainerra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Looking for some info on a Washington St breeder & info on training 2 dogs at once

Hey guys and gals,

The wife and I currently have a 5 and change month old WLGSD and two cats, who all shed like crazy (or will soon with the pup). I'm training my pup in Schutzhund and it's going great, got a good trainer currently and a club when she's ready for that. But we want a second dog for a variety of reasons, and we settled on a Dutch Shepherd because this will be a sport dog as well and I wanted a more intense dog than my current pup and the shedding is bad enough as is. (My house looks like a Western movie when I haven't run the roomba in a couple days with tumbleweeds of hair LOL)

Anyone know anything about Vrijheid kennel? Vrijheid Dutch Shepherds - Home I've read her website, watched her videos, and emailed with her and felt comfortable enough to get on the waiting list. Just looking to see if I missed anything in my research.

Part 2 of my question:

So the breeder above won't have anything till 2018 which would make my dog around a year old before we got a new puppy. Although not fully developed and matured, I feel comfortable that she'll be old enough to be fully bonded with us and my house won't be total mayhem (just mostly mayhem ).

But my question is what are some tools, tips, tricks, plans, or just personal stories that you could share with me for training two dogs for a sport? How did you ensure you spent enough time with the puppy without setting back your older dog? How did you manage tracking or exercise or etc etc etc

Final note, I'm not really interested in getting talked out of this. We're looking to try to start a family late 2018 so it'd be half a decade before I could bring a psychotic puppy into our home and I know training never stops but refining established training of adult dogs is not dealing with a puppy that can't be let out of your sight! This is the timing that works for us and I'll make it work, trust me.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Final note, I'm not really interested in getting talked out of this. We're looking to try to start a family late 2018 so it'd be half a decade before I could bring a psychotic puppy into our home and I know training never stops but refining established training of adult dogs is not dealing with a puppy that can't be let out of your sight! This is the timing that works for us and I'll make it work, trust me.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Well that was extremely helpful

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Well that was extremely helpful
Cause I never had enough hours in the day to take this on. You think that once you have a baby, the dogs are old enough and don't require much work? A baby is more work than a bunch of working dogs together.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Cause I never had enough hours in the day to take this on. You think that once you have a baby, the dogs are old enough and don't require much work? A baby is more work than a bunch of working dogs together.
Well duh, but my wife will be working from home then.

And no, I don't think the dogs are old enough and require much work. I said AS MUCH work, as in I don't have to watch the dog literally every second it's out of its crate.

You think adult dogs require exactly as much attention as puppy's? That's not been my experience or the experience of anyone I've ever met.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

Next year you will have two adolescent dogs and maybe a baby. I cannot be of further help in this since you don't want to be talked out of this.
I am also a birth doula and I see how worn out new parents are.
Pirates Lair likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

it's unlikely that a responsible breeder would consider you a good prospect for a potential working pup in the situation you describe.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:42 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Our experience with kids and dogs matches what you're saying here, I'd rather introduce a baby to a mature, trained dog then a puppy to a small child. But I'm talking more like 4 yrs old for the dog. Two young dogs may not be as settled as you want at that point.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 05:13 AM
Elite Member

In all seriousness, before you get the second dog, now would be a good time to employ a good housekeeper and find a marriage counsellor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page