Sleeping in Bed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Sleeping in Bed?

So I've always imagined by future shepherd sleeping alongside me in a queen bed

However how does that go with their hips? Obviously it would be bad for them to jump up and down, and even if i lifted them up and down they might still do it when I'm not there?

Should they only be trained to come up as an adult when their joints are developed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Master Member

My pup sleeps on my bed, though not as often as late because of her teething tendencies. I put a large 4' x-pen around the bed except for where I lay so I can get in and out if I need to, and it stops her from jumping off as we have an 18" pillow top mattress that sits on top of a box frame. Considering a lot of dogs sleep comfortably on the ground, a bed shouldn't be damaging to their hips unless you are letting them jump up and down all the time. That would be more of the elbows, though.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 AM

I'd wait for them to become adults for a few reasons, besides any damage of jarring joints from going up and down. You don't want a potty accident on the bed. You might want to discourage toys coming up on the bed (how did that pinecone get under my clean sheets....?). You don't want the pup to start experimenting with chewing the linens. My pups started in crates and then earned their freedom to sleep outside the crate at night. Both of my dogs are welcome on the bed but neither stays there long. I think they prefer the coolness of the floor and the room to stretch out. As a matter of fact, in the summer they have ChillSpot beds that they go to if they get too hot.
emilymarie0208 likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page