Advice on Building Agility Equipment for Newlie - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By newlie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Advice on Building Agility Equipment for Newlie

I spoke to a friend last night about building some agility equipment that I can put in my backyard for Newlie. Depending upon how much it might cost, I may need to do a piece or two at a time and wondered if anyone had any feedback to share. For example, what two pieces would you suggest first? Is there any website you can go to that would give specs? Things to be aware of so Newlie does not get hurt? It will just be me out in the yard doing it with him. I am fretting a little bit about the jumps. Obviously, I would start out low, but can the bars be made to break away so that if he doesn't make a higher jump, he won't be hurt? Any suggestions or thoughts on any of this would be welcome.

I have already thought about having pieces made so that I can take them with me if I move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 02:32 PM

You can make your own weave poles and break away jumps very inexpensively out of pvc pipe.Teeters,A frames, and pause tables out of sturdy lumber.If you Google diy agility equipment there are many sites and videos with instructions.
Femfa likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks, Dogma! Very helpful!
dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 02:32 AM
Crowned Member

http://www.agilitygear.com/mobile/default.aspx
I had purchased the jumps on this site and no complaints. Safe easily breaks away. The dog walk- is great, i did buy the pcv pre made base very well made and sturdy and it came with everything you need except for the 3 wood planks you can get from Home Depot- it's half do it yourself project. They also at times sell agility equipment in Craigslist worth a look. As mentioned many do it yourself on YouTube and Pinterest.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Master Member

If you can buy the stuff I'd suggest going that route. I diy a lot of stuff myself and most of the time it's been cheaper to buy it or have someone do it but I like the piece of mind of knowing I didnt cut corners on materials or the install. Without knowing exactly what you want to build or what tools you have it's hard to suggest anything, but the one thing I can recommend is getting sketchup. It's free and it's a great tool for designing your builds.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:39 PM

I use(and have used) a lot of substitutes and find the learning transfers well to class-time & real equipment. Weave poles is one thing I have found no substitute for.

Substitutes for dogwalks, any plank, a plank on bricks, brick walls (for height).

Teeter--a square plank/board on an object (start tiny, like a lid) on a hard surface so that you can click/mark for wobbles & bangs. Later, I put a plank on an ever bigger log; it was very unstable and loud, and treated for anything but especially the bang. The teeter in class was mild in comparison.

Jumps, I jump my dog over lawn chairs. I made jumps of upside down tomato cages & sticks. The sticks will fall down in the wind.
I do lure my dog through a bicycle rack to at least create muscle memory for weaving, but that's awkward.
Chairs with sticks (placed so they are barely supported, the sticks will fall down. Some people use traffic cones and rest the bar on top.

Step in fence posts (smooth pole with a wing part that you step on to push into the ground) made up my weave-poles in the past, with a pvc pipe dropped over it. These were sturdy & solid and good. I can't find this kind of post any more.

I also had diy jumps, they were great for pick up & go, pvc diy. The bars fell down easilly, they rested on extended nut & bolt that were threaded through the standards. Very cheap.

Stairs make a decent substitute for a-frame. Run up the stairs, run down, and stopped contact at the bottom.

Tunnel is the one thing I can't find a substitute for, so if I would buy (and had a backyard, I don't), I'd buy a tunnel.

Sounds exciting, enjoy your agility adventures.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Weave poles that you stick in the ground (individually) are a great learning tool. You can set them wide when you start, and bring them closer together. You can also just set up two or three if you want to work on entrances.

If your dog ends up bashing through them like a psycho (hahaha) you'll need to straighten them after each run through, but they're so much more flexible than buying an anchored set. Also, cheaper.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am thinking of an A frame, a teeter, a standard jump, a tire jump and the weave poles. I am not going to try a tunnel at this point because I bought him one several years ago and he destroyed it in no time. I have a pretty large back yard, but I do want to leave plenty of space for him to run and catch balls because without that he would probably do away with himself, lol.

This is just for fun and something to keep Newlie's mind occupied, I don't see us as competing or anything like that.

This may sound like a silly question, but I am pretty short (5'2), is that going to be a problem getting him up and over the A frame?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 05:20 PM
Crowned Member

We do it for fun to. Those A frames are much taller then most people. They also have a mini A frame I'm not sure how tall but about half the size I would think it would be lighter and not take up as much space if you decided to go the smaller route not as much fun though. I did actually see them on Craigslist once so worth to take a look. I have found the traveling teeter nice it's a bit narrower but easy to store in a shed. It was left out side over the winter and the pcv base stand did crack but looks like it can be easily fixed or I can get a better new base. It was reasonably priced compare to some of the equipment that can crazy expensive but I'm sure you get what you pay for. I love the dogwalk standing strong and left out all the time- still not painted with final paint yet.

Last edited by Jenny720; 07-31-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page