1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Any Aussies??

Just wondering if there are any other Australian members on here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Yeah, I have an Aussie. Blue Merle female. 60 pounds, no fat, full brush tail, upright ears. One speed....full throttle. She is just four years old this month. She goes with me to work every day. It's really dangerous for her in the shop with welding and grinding so she stays in her giant crate. We get out to run in the fields about 4 times a days so she gets plenty of exercise. I have 30,60 and 100 foot leashes for the field trips. She is a better " mouser" than any cat. We have no mice in the shop and few left in the fields. She is all weather but I have to limit her on the really hot humid days as she will go until she gets overheated. She likes wading in the stock tank but it makes a trip to the lake to get her cleaned off.

We train every day on something. Her job is to watch for deer when we are in the car or truck. Also she " does laundry " at home she goes and gets dirty clothes and brings them to the laundry basket. Lots of treats are involved.

We also go to training classes more to proof our training and for socialization around other dogs, but we do all the class work too.

She follows me everywhere in the appt.

We have done sheep and cows briefly but I just couldn't get around my work schedule so we have let that go.

Byron

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings1 View Post
Yeah, I have an Aussie. Blue Merle female. 60 pounds, no fat, full brush tail, upright ears. One speed....full throttle. She is just four years old this month. She goes with me to work every day. It's really dangerous for her in the shop with welding and grinding so she stays in her giant crate. We get out to run in the fields about 4 times a days so she gets plenty of exercise. I have 30,60 and 100 foot leashes for the field trips. She is a better " mouser" than any cat. We have no mice in the shop and few left in the fields. She is all weather but I have to limit her on the really hot humid days as she will go until she gets overheated. She likes wading in the stock tank but it makes a trip to the lake to get her cleaned off.

We train every day on something. Her job is to watch for deer when we are in the car or truck. Also she " does laundry " at home she goes and gets dirty clothes and brings them to the laundry basket. Lots of treats are involved.

We also go to training classes more to proof our training and for socialization around other dogs, but we do all the class work too.

She follows me everywhere in the appt.

We have done sheep and cows briefly but I just couldn't get around my work schedule so we have let that go.

Byron
I think OP meant any members that live in Australia haha!
LancerandRara likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 11:18 PM
Elite Member

Hi, I live in Western Aus
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Haha, LOL I really stepped into that one. Well, according to my grade school educators, Austrailia is now in the heart of winter. The usual conversation starter when we talk of winter here in Minnesota is "how deep is your snow?"

So, since we are talking dogs here, do you have Australian Shepherds there? Ironically as the stories go, these dogs were created in America in the early 1800's to herd sheep and cattle as the West was settled. My own dog is from herding stock and not show dog stock. She is big at 60 pounds, extremely agile, all weather capable, tireless, not afraid to mix it up with ornery cows or sheep, and loves people.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Elite Member

Yes we have Australian Shepherds here, but I think the favourite Aussie dog (as far as I can see in my area) is the Kelpie, another herding/working/farm dog
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 PM

I'm from Melbourne
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:06 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Haha, LOL I really stepped into that one. Well, according to my grade school educators, Austrailia is now in the heart of winter. The usual conversation starter when we talk of winter here in Minnesota is "how deep is your snow?"

So, since we are talking dogs here, do you have Australian Shepherds there? Ironically as the stories go, these dogs were created in America in the early 1800's to herd sheep and cattle as the West was settled. My own dog is from herding stock and not show dog stock. She is big at 60 pounds, extremely agile, all weather capable, tireless, not afraid to mix it up with ornery cows or sheep, and loves people.
Australia has just had its hottest July on record. I had a snake sunning itself in my back yard a couple of weekends ago, it should have been hibernating. (I've wondered for those living in cold climates, how do you toilet your dogs, when you're in the middle of a 3 day blizzard?)
I see one Australian Shepherd in my neighbourhood, it's the only one I've seen, so I'd say they aren't common, at least where I live.
And yes, there are a few Australians on here.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Winter here is like probably your Spring lol. I haven't met an aussie shepherd here, ironically, but I live in the city
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:50 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post
Australia has just had its hottest July on record. I had a snake sunning itself in my back yard a couple of weekends ago, it should have been hibernating. (I've wondered for those living in cold climates, how do you toilet your dogs, when you're in the middle of a 3 day blizzard?)
I see one Australian Shepherd in my neighbourhood, it's the only one I've seen, so I'd say they aren't common, at least where I live.
And yes, there are a few Australians on here.
Be careful when you say "Australia has had it hottest July on record" - Perth woke up to a lovely 1 degrees today and the wettest July on record, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page