This is my "surviss dogg" . - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

This is my "surviss dogg" .

Athena and I was at home depot ordering a window today. While in millwork I heard this dog across the store barking its fool head off. I didn't put much thought into it. We get our paperwork and head to the checkout. Upon arrival the cashier says there is another one of you in the store. I respond "yeah, we heard it barking". She informed me that it was a surviss dog. I was like "cool". The cashier points down an aisle and says there it is. I look and there is a 2-3 yr old black and tan Shepherd down there. Then this lady and her daughter walk up behind us in line. The lady asks me if Athena was also a surviss dog. I said " nope just a dog". I give the cashier my paperwork for the window, Athena is sitting at my side waiting patiently, when out of no where this dog comes running in between us. In Athena's face sniffing her. I'm not gonna lie. for the first couple seconds I was like WTF is this that supposed surviss dog. No vest just a Shepherd same size as Athena. I was quickly snapped out of my WTF moment, when Athena showed teeth and growled. As soon as she growled and showed teeth the dog immediately turned his head. But he just stood there. I told Athena no and stepped in between them pushing the surviss dog back. Eventually some guy came and grabbed the dogs leash and pulled him back. At this point I told Athena to sit and proceeded to try and check out. I hear the guy behind me say " down... Down.... Down.... Down.... I turned around to see what the heck was going on back there. When the guy seen me look back he was like " believe it or not this is a surviss dog he's just so friendly " he was still talking when I turned around. What else he said I have no idea.
Honestly, I was probably more pissed than I should have been. I was mad enough I knew it would be best for me to just not say anything. I did think it necessary as I turned back to tell Athena down. To which she done so perfectly.
Service was intentionally mis-spelled to describe this dog. Cause this dog isn't no service dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Elite Member

It seems every dog is a servus dog these days, doesn't it? Like every missing dog on Craigslist is one. Or the dog that attacked the neighbor's sheep, or kid, or whatever.

I don't get it. I think it's just become a label to excuse bad behavior or some sort of catch phrase so the dog is allowed anywhere.

It's getting really silly. I don't really bother to care what anybody calls their dog if it is well behaved and controlled, but to excuse bad behavior with labels is downright dangerous and is limiting dog access, not increasing it- overall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I was equally amazed at everyone else's willingness to accept the fact that this was a service dog merely because it was friendly. Doesn't follow basic commands. Leaves its owners side, has no basic dog or people manners. Yet it's a service dog. Maybe I'm confused. Shouldn't service dogs be trained and at minimum have some advanced or at least reliable basic obedience.
Muskeg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Yup.

A friend and I were recently at a street festival, we were standing off to the side of the stage with two GSDs (I had one of mine, she had one of hers). We'd been there for a while, our dogs were hanging out watching the world go by.

A little white fluffy-something came up behind us, went out to the end of its leash and went nuts, screeching and lunging at us. We moved back about 10' and kept talking. A few minutes later the woman with the white fluffy-something came marching up to us head on, we kept backing away, wondering what exactly she was trying to accomplish. She (rather loudly) informed us that he is her service animal. She then asked my friend's husband to hold her beverage, physically made the dog lie down, she cupped her hand over the dog's eyes, and said "NO NO NO, THIS IS NOT WHAT GOOD DOGS DO" and some other nonsense. She informed us that she is was a dog trainer, and reiterated that this is her service dog. Then she proceeded to elbow her way to the very front of the stage, where she danced rather badly and her dog was in danger of getting stepped on with every clumsy stomp.

It was quite the spectacle.... service dog indeed.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 PM

I realize that not every dog will like every other dog anymore than we like every person that we meet. BUT if a dog breaks and runs and causes chaos even if it is a service dog, it needs to be pulled from the program and retired as a pet...and get more training on self control even as just-a-pet.
Deb, Muskeg, astrovan2487 and 2 others like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I realize that not every dog will like every other dog anymore than we like every person that we meet. BUT if a dog breaks and runs and causes chaos even if it is a service dog, it needs to be pulled from the program and retired as a pet...and get more training on self control even as just-a-pet.
I don't think it was a case of not liking Athena. I think it just seen a dog and ran to it thinking it was gonna play or be buddies. Just didn't have any idea how to accomplish this. Almost got himself bitten by Athena. The owner probably thought his dog had good obedience and wouldn't run off. He was wrong. One distraction and his dog broke obedience. Matter of fact from what I seen the dog had absolutely no OB.
What made me mad about the whole thing was I could see an episode like this turn out bad. Either where Athena becomes dog reactive. And I subsequently have to deal with this to further her in SCH. Or Athena bites the dog and is labeled aggressive and I have to deal with whatever comes along with that. Vet bills, law enforcement, etc... All because this guy is delusional and thinks his dog is a service dog.
car2ner and astrovan2487 like this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Yup.

A friend and I were recently at a street festival, we were standing off to the side of the stage with two GSDs (I had one of mine, she had one of hers). We'd been there for a while, our dogs were hanging out watching the world go by.

A little white fluffy-something came up behind us, went out to the end of its leash and went nuts, screeching and lunging at us. We moved back about 10' and kept talking. A few minutes later the woman with the white fluffy-something came marching up to us head on, we kept backing away, wondering what exactly she was trying to accomplish. She (rather loudly) informed us that he is her service animal. She then asked my friend's husband to hold her beverage, physically made the dog lie down, she cupped her hand over the dog's eyes, and said "NO NO NO, THIS IS NOT WHAT GOOD DOGS DO" and some other nonsense. She informed us that she is was a dog trainer, and reiterated that this is her service dog. Then she proceeded to elbow her way to the very front of the stage, where she danced rather badly and her dog was in danger of getting stepped on with every clumsy stomp.

It was quite the spectacle.... service dog indeed.
Did you pick up any training techniques.
You're never too good to learn something new.
Aly and dogma13 like this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Her crowd-clearing dance moves are what I could really use.... I'm hopeless in that department.
ksotto333 and cdwoodcox like this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Crowned Member

When I take Crank to airports and public spaces in service mode most other service dogs I see in vests go ballistic and full on leash reactive at just the sight of him. Not all of them do but around half.

You know who the real ones are on planes because you wouldn't know they were there unless you saw them get on.
sit,stay and Irie like this.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I was the friend who accompanied her to the street fest. And I'm sad to say that all we learned was what NOT to do with a dog in public.

Another lesson that anyone can call themselves a dog trainer!
Cassidy's Mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page