Anyone here own a Jeep Grand Cherokee? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Anyone here own a Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Hi everyone, my family and I are in the market for a new car and we are looking for something to fit both our GSDs in. Does anyone here own a Jeep Grand Cherokee? If so how do your dogs fit in the back, sit down and up? Unfortunately I can't put them in a new car at the dealership to get perspective. Any pictures would greatly help

On a side note, our family will be relocating across the country soon. Any recommendations on how to keep two energetic shepherds calm during our 24hr drive time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:18 PM

I typed up a long response, but my session timed out an it was lost.

Long story short, I will take some pictures later today and post.

I have a 3rd Generation Grand Cherokee (also know as "WK", model years 2005 - 2010). The current model (4th Gen, model years 2011-present) is very similar body and interior dimensions.

The biggest issue with the GC is that the rear compartment (with seats folded flat) is kind of narrow (because of wheel wells projecting into interior) and kind of short (floor to ceiling). Unless the dogs are lying down flat, they block all rear-ward view out the rear window.

I also have a Mercury Mariner (same as the Ford Escape). While it is smaller vehicle overall, the rear compartment is wider, taller, and offers fewer obstructions, gaps, and problems when seats are folded down. The rear windows are more of a "wrap around", so the larger interior dimension and the larger windows (than the GC) allow good rear and 3/4 views even with the dogs standing up.

The best way to figure out all the quirky differences is to find a used car dealer who has several different manufacturers' SUV's on the lot, then part them side by side to compare. You will be surprised at all the differences you will notice once you can compare directly. Also, find a place which will allow you to take the dogs for a ride. It's a pretty simple conversation: "I would like to buy this vehicle, but I can't do it until I know if my dogs will fit and that I can see out the back of the car when they are riding in it." If they say "No", then go to a different dealer.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:52 PM

Well this may be a late reply, but we spent all weekend putting our dog int he back of new SUVs at several dealerships. We were nice and brought a seat cover to try to keep some of the hair off. If you're looking at spending thousands on a vehicle, surely the dealership can afford a few minutes of vacuuming after you leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page