Need opinions on adding 2nd dog please :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By carmspack
  • 1 Post By Deb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Question Need opinions on adding 2nd dog please :)

Hello all, I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong place.
We currently have a 1 year old intact female GSD and are looking to add a second dog to our home. Mainly for a companion for Vala when we're not home, and someone to play with if she still has some leftover energy in the evening. Vala is very much a rough and tumble player, in that she likes to chase, body slam/tackle. She isn't very mouthy or vocal in her particular play style.
In our puppy classes she really enjoyed playing with a male Labradoodle (sp). Of course, that was only as long as the other GSD (female) wasn't in class. She also tried her best to play with a female Brittany Spaniel, but she didn't care for Vala's play style. I'm afraid we won't have the time/energy to put into another shepherd, and the only Lab/Goldendoodles I've come in contact with, were either too timid, or crazy energetic.
She doesn't really seem to have a preference on male vs female, so that's not much concern. I've seen where the Corgi is popular match being a "german shepherd with short legs," but we want something closer in size because of how she likes to body slam. I think it'd be a little over powering for a smaller dog. Her energy level is pretty moderate so something that could compliment that and keep up with her, but without getting her too wound up. Like I said before, I'm afraid a shepherd (or any other high energy dog) will be too much for us to handle as far as having the time to spend with both dogs together and individually.
I grew up with a golden but I've heard very mixed opinions on the two together. At this point we're not so worried about what we want for ourselves, but what would be the best match for our girl.
Any suggestions and opinions are highly appreciated. Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

my suggestion would be no pet for the pet .

take this playful energetic dog and YOU do more with her . There are so many fun options from rally to nose work , to agility, tracking, try your hand at entry level competitive obedience AKC CD (companion dog).

the "other" dog may not like being body slammed and rough housed .

you don't want the house turned in to rumpus room for two dogs , demolition derby style , especially when you are not home.

help the dog mature .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Carmen.

Other ideas include scouting for dog friends for your dog. The doodle she liked from class, maybe exchange numbers and let your dogs run it off every so often.

But this doesn't sound like a second dog is an awesome idea. All those things Carmen mentioned, the dog sports, are super fun! Your dog will be tired, satisfied and have tons of new skills that will come in handy in every day life if you do obedience for instance.

Don't knock it till you try it...I am competing at stuff with my dogs that I never would have thought I would be, but they love it and we have so much fun together. Seeing your dog excel at something is awesome. Working together towards a goal and achieving it through teamwork gives you a different kind of bond, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

If you get another dog, now you have to train the second dog, be it a GSD or another breed. Your current GSD plays very rough, it sounds like she plays a bit rough for a puppy, so now you'll have months or more to have to keep them separated. When they play in the house, when that time comes, things will go flying. Adding a new dog should be done for wanting another dog. Getting one to help with the first almost always fails. It doubles the work and adds to the trouble or the problem that was there to begin with. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 01:43 AM

Well I would go with another female, just my preference. Just a suggestion but you could always adopt an older dog if needing one more laid back.
Take your time hopefully it will just all fall into place.

I will say this the husky mutt we took in is a lot of work. She constantly jumps the fence despite the fact i moved a very heavy piece of sheet metal to block her. She constantly needs a bath because in 5 minutes she somehow gets all the mud in a 5 mile radius caked all over her. BUT SHE is the most loving affectionate dog I have had in my life. I don't think I ever want to be without a huskey mutt trouble maker for the rest of my life! And I love listening to her "talk" when she thinks I am taking too long to let her out of the kennel. (Or as soon as she smells me cooking)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 AM

Getting a 2nd dog is a big decision. But, I do think 2 dogs keep each other company, give exercise and play to each other in a way we humans can't. BUT, the real questions are more about you and whether you are ready to take on 2 (or more...) dogs. [I say "or more" because once you have two, you'll start thinking about a 3rd...]

1. Do you have the space, time, and patience to devote to a 2nd dog? The two dogs will have different personalities, different learning curves, different misbehaviors, etc. Just like kids, they will be DIFFERENT dogs and will have to be managed / interacted with differently.

2.Are you ready for the added complexity and expense this will entail? Double the expense of vet bills, medication, food, grooming, beds, toys... You need a car you can easily transport 2 dogs in. It will be harder to find pet sitters or house sitters. Harder to find two spaces in a kennel if you have to board them.

3. Are you actively giving your current dog enough exercise and stimulation every day? Sure, the 2nd dog will provide companionship, play, and exercise for the first dog, but it's not like you can just leave them on their own. You will be exercising, walking, training, and managing two dogs at all times.

4. Being out in public with 2 dogs (walks, going to Starbucks, darting into Home Depot... or just dealing with other dogs & owners you encounter) is not just 2X harder with 2 dogs, it's more like 4X harder. You have to really know/trust your dogs -- and they really have to know/trust you. You really have to commit to training and teaching them if you have 2 dogs. With one dog you can sorta fake it. Can't fake it with 2.

With all those warnings, I still say: considering it strongly, but realize how much of a responsibility it will be. I will also say: consider getting a 2nd GSD. Their temperaments, training, intelligence, exercise needs, size, etc. will match.

We currently have two GSD's (a male and a female). They've been together for 5 years now. After having 2, I can't imagine how, in the past, we only had one GSD.

One other piece of advice: Figure out a situation where you can have your current dog meet the (prospective) new dog -- on neutral ground -- before you make a decision on the 2nd dog. We did this and were able to see that our 2 got along from the first moment. Do not bring a new dog into the house without assessing compatibility first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page