Averted a potential attack. Tip. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Averted a potential attack. Tip.

I have used and trained Deja to a referee whistle as a second way for the recall and to, at the same time, deter rude dogs. Today was the first time I used tis technique to keep a potential aggressive dog at bay and it paid off.
Situation: playing Chiuckit on the beach. As she ran after the ball a medium/ large mutt came after her in a way that looked like he/she was not going to introduce itself in a polite way. I whistled loudly, Deja ignored the dog and returned with the ball. The dog in the mean time hesitated because of the noise but kept on coming. He finally returned to his owners when I kept on blowing the whistle and I made myself big and looking mean. Deja, just stayed with me. No harm done. Proud of Deja's stable temperament and her obedience. I always assume, when in doubt, that other dogs ignore their owners so I am being proactive. Feels pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Master Member

Funny to me you posted this. I just got a whistle (I can not whistle) and used it today. My pup 5 months will ignore my voice if in a particular zone. I haven't been able to figure it out yet #noob. I know that's not a good thing :/ The whistle worked today I had to whistle loud, but it worked and he got a big reward. Any tips?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

Two different things to use for a recall, like whistle or voice is good. Don't fall for the idea some people want to think, two different actual recalls. A regular recall and an emergency recall. Come is come, if they don't with your regular command, they'll ignore your emergency sound or word too.
Chip18 and Femfa like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 PM

the other thing is that a whistle, in this case at the beach, gets the attention of the other owners. If I see an off leash dog and wait until I see the owners, I'll often yell, Hello or Good Day. Often the owners of the other dog will gather their pooch up and hold onto them as we pass. A whistle can do the same thing.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Master Member

That's a really, really smart idea. I think I'm going to start training that in case my voice simply isn't loud enough. You never know when it will come in handy. I'm glad Deja and you were able to leave without incident though. It always amazes me how people will yell, "Oh they're friendly!" as they come charging towards your dog in an uncontrolled manner.
wolfy dog likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Two different things to use for a recall, like whistle or voice is good. Don't fall for the idea some people want to think, two different actual recalls. A regular recall and an emergency recall. Come is come, if they don't with your regular command, they'll ignore your emergency sound or word too.
Aww OK thanks ... I don't have to do anything different then ie (add a tool) but Wolfy Dog does bring up a situation I've never encountered???

Open desert dog training for me ... and in that environment there are apparently ... just a lot of things you don't encounter?? Like Porcupines, other dogs and Trees??? You have to go out of your way to encounter another dog with uh 1000's of acres of open desert. Line of site dog training at it's finest. Although there do be Rattle Snakes out there!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1 View Post
Funny to me you posted this. I just got a whistle (I can not whistle) and used it today. My pup 5 months will ignore my voice if in a particular zone. I haven't been able to figure it out yet #noob. I know that's not a good thing :/ The whistle worked today I had to whistle loud, but it worked and he got a big reward. Any tips?
Ignoring a recall is NOT an option for me. At that young age I only call them when I know for sure he can and will do it. I didn't start the whistle until her recall was rock solid. Otherwise the whistle doesn't mean anything either.
In the past when she still chased wildlife I never told her/yelled "Here" (her recall command) so she wouldn't learn that "Here" was just an option. Instead I just used my own voice whistle to let her know where I was. And rewarded her for coming back while thinking. "Grrrr, I don't like you now!" After two of these chases I started critter-training her with an E collar but that is an entire other subject.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:51 AM

I use a whistle too. Mine is tubular and adjustable. I can hardly hear it but Samantha can hear it as far away as 100 yards and I don't have to blow it hard. Other dogs tend to ignor it. I even tested is surepetously in a dog class. A couple dogs looked around but obviously didn't know what it was.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Ignoring a recall is NOT an option for me. At that young age I only call them when I know for sure he can and will do it. I didn't start the whistle until her recall was rock solid. Otherwise the whistle doesn't mean anything either.
In the past when she still chased wildlife I never told her/yelled "Here" (her recall command) so she wouldn't learn that "Here" was just an option. Instead I just used my own voice whistle to let her know where I was. And rewarded her for coming back while thinking. "Grrrr, I don't like you now!" After two of these chases I started critter-training her with an E collar but that is an entire other subject.

Critters are one of his zones, sigh.....Great tip, thank you. I will put the whistle back in the box for now and keep practicing.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1 View Post
Critters are one of his zones, sigh.....Great tip, thank you. I will put the whistle back in the box for now and keep practicing.
Don't despair!Most of our dogs have a 'zone',activity,or impulse that is way more compelling than recalling to us.You'll figure out what works best for your dog to get a reliable response.
My dogs respond very well to a referee whistle also.I just added it along with the verbal and hand signal until they 'got it'.I like it because it always sounds the same and carries farther.One blast means stop and look at me.Three blasts for recall.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page