Kayaking with a GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Kayaking with a GSD?

We sold the canoe due to my back issues as paddling like that is a big no-no for me from now on. Deja did great in the canoe last summer and it was very enjoyable. Kayaking is ok for me but I wonder if and how I can take her? My hubby and I tried out a two-seater kayak without her and that went fine so I assume a single one would work for me as well. Any thoughts / experiences you can share? Type of kayaks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 01:00 AM
Elite Member

I take my pup paddle boarding, kayaking has to be easier. I like the sit inside kayaks as opposed to sit on top. I put a ruffwear life vest with grab handle on my pup since we get far from shore and she tips the board. Lifting your dog out of the water isn't easy on your back so I'd keep her inside.
ksotto333, wolfy dog and car2ner like this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
I take my pup paddle boarding, kayaking has to be easier. I like the sit inside kayaks as opposed to sit on top. I put a ruffwear life vest with grab handle on my pup since we get far from shore and she tips the board. Lifting your dog out of the water isn't easy on your back so I'd keep her inside.
I am planning on a wide and stable kayak. OMG, no way a sit-on-top one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sit on top kayaks are typically the MOST stable. The ones designed for fishing are awesome in that regard. You also don't have the issues with getting in and out of them if you fall over but seriously I have been in really tall swells from motorboats in ours with zero trouble. SOTS are also self bailing so they can't sink or fill with water. Fishing kayaks are designed with enough stability you can stand and fish.

We have Wilderness Systems Ride 135 fishing kayaks and it is great with a lot of back support (we have the seat)..The problem is finding a good kayak that the dog can be comfortable in. My husband had spinal fusion this fall and for flatwater it is not hard on him. (Other than transporting it-we made a trailer and have a kayak cart and that helps a lot)

Perception just came ut with one I would like to try. It is a cross between a SUP and a SOT that looks promising for use with a dog.

https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/...ts/hi-life-110

If you have a kayak shop they all often have "demo days" where they take the kayaks to lakes and let you try out various models. Also many sell of their rentals at the end of the summer for about half price.

The old town predator MX is another one I would look at because it does not have a console between the legs like a lot of them have. They sell them at Cabelas. We did not go that route because we got the Rides for half off but I do wish we had a better kayak for the dogs.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 07-09-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

Most people here seem to have white water type kayaks which wouldn't be much good for dogs. Until this year I had no idea there were so many other options out there. The perception one that Nancy linked looks nice. I wonder how difficult it is for a dog to get on in open water?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Most people here seem to have white water type kayaks which wouldn't be much good for dogs. Until this year I had no idea there were so many other options out there. The perception one that Nancy linked looks nice. I wonder how difficult it is for a dog to get on in open water?
You have to lift your dog up on to it in open water.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

That is one of my concerns about the SUP/SOT combo plus no foot rests.
I cannot see getting a dog into a sit inside.

I can easily see getting a dog into a SOT with the most commonly recommended option to get a tandem and let the dog ride in the front slot (remove the seat). Actually the long the boat the better it tracks and the faster it is. You pay with maneuverability. I find the molded in footrests on cheaper kayaks to be very uncomfortable though.

You can pull a dog into a jon boat no problem. Basically you use the collar to stabilize the head, the paws over the edge and the dog puts back feet on side of boat and pushes them self in while the back of their head is stabilized by you. I think the same would apply for a SOT ... How did you get the dog back into the canoe?

google any kayak you are interested in and you will find a ton youtube videos and reviews.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 07-09-2017 at 12:13 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

There. This is what I want to try! May have to counterweight the front (see video around 12 minutes) but it has massive capacity. Review is in Russian? but a lot of good video. You can remove the seats. Would be good to have when grandkids have friends. Weight capacity for an expedition.

WIBackpacker likes this.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Elite Member

A sot would be easier to get the dog onto as opposed to inside the boat in open water. They're just slower than sit inside but more stable. I'd get a 2 man so the dog can ride up front and it'll be more stable.
As for a sup, the dog has to stay down or sit. It moves then we both go in the water. Maybe a new way to train down/stay?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Administrator

I'd love more detailed reviews, if any of you guys develop a good system that works for your GSD.

I've considered trying a sit-on-top one to accommodate the dog (I currently have a fishing model regular sit-inside kayak which I like). I'm probably overthinking things, but I'd be worried about the dog getting tangled up in a sit-inside model if you did manage to roll or flip.

I really hate non-adjustable footrests, it makes my legs cramp up and I just can't get into a comfortable rhythm.... So maybe a traditional two-seater with seat removed would be the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page