German Shepherds and Rottweilers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

German Shepherds and Rottweilers?

Anyone else ever have any issues with their German Shepherds and other Rottweilers? Last night marked the 5th different Rottweiler to snap on my pup and leave him with a wound. My guy is almost 9 months old and the other dogs have ranged from 1-5 years old, both male and female. I know un neutered pups can sometimes bring around unwanted attention, but he's met 100's of different dogs and the only ones to actually leave a mark are the Rotties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Master Member

I don't think the issue is other Rottweilers. How many more times are you going to let your pup be exposed to potentially dog aggressive dogs? You are quickly teaching your dog to become dog aggressive by a lack of supervision. You should never let another dog approach your pup that you don't really know. You also can't ask someone if their dog is okay with other dogs because there are a lot of clueless people out there. You might want to find some dogs you know are absolutely okay/social with other dogs and let your dog spend some time with them to help mitigate any potentially learned dog aggression.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe unusual but I have appreciated all Rotties I met so far. I like them but I don't think they are very compatible with a WL GSD; too laid back in daily life (the ones I have known).
And yes, no strange dogs for my pup(s), no matter what their owners think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
I don't think the issue is other Rottweilers. How many more times are you going to let your pup be exposed to potentially dog aggressive dogs? You are quickly teaching your dog to become dog aggressive by a lack of supervision. You should never let another dog approach your pup that you don't really know. You also can't ask someone if their dog is okay with other dogs because there are a lot of clueless people out there. You might want to find some dogs you know are absolutely okay/social with other dogs and let your dog spend some time with them to help mitigate any potentially learned dog aggression.
For sure, let me just finish bubble wrapping my pup. Should I also keep him inside all day to protect him from all the dangerous dogs in the world?

I asked a question about Shepherds and Rottweilers, not a question about advice on raising a dog. He's fine without your "professional" advice.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Master Member

You say he is fine but has been aggressed toward on five different times by five different dogs and wounded at least once. You shouldn't bubble wrap him or keep him inside all the time, but rather, take the responsibility of knowing how to protect him from potentially aggressive dogs. It is a dog raising issue not a breed issue. And my advice is not professional. I do this for free.
Minoli, alexg, GypsyGhost and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boowie View Post
For sure, let me just finish bubble wrapping my pup. Should I also keep him inside all day to protect him from all the dangerous dogs in the world?

I asked a question about Shepherds and Rottweilers, not a question about advice on raising a dog. He's fine without your "professional" advice.
You came here with a concern and you got good free tips, yet you immediately start snarling, as a new member to this forum, like the dogs you are worried about. There are many options between bubble wrapping and having your pup being bit 5 times. No advice from me anymore to you on this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boowie View Post

1. This was a super rude overreaction to a common sense response to your issue/question.

2. I've had a pair of Rotts chase my dog. I'm not sure they were playing. If I see them at that park now, we leave immediately. They're well trained and the owners are right on top of them, but even their vigilance doesn't perfectly protect my dog, so I protect her by keeping her away from them. I think it would make a great deal of sense for you to do the same and follow Chip B's advice.
GypsyGhost and voodoolamb like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Ive owned german shepherds and bullmastiffs my whole life. And 1 rotty mixed in there which I gave away. Didnt care for that dog much. So I have a tiny bit of experience with this......
Its probably something YOU are doing thats causing the problems.
And sorry, but if its a big tough rotty, or any other big properly bred mastiff type dog, your lucky an injury is all your dog got.
Youre going to get your dog killed......
Just keep him away from the mastiff breeds period.
You talk about bubble wrapping your dog......but youre not far off. Mastiff breeds have a very very short temper with other dogs....rottys are a mastiffs breed
And sorry, but a german shepherd is not going to win that fight....
5 times this has happened?
Its not the dogs its you messing up somewhere.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Oh, and as far as keeping him inside to protect him from all the dangerous dogs in the world...... If those dogs are capable of swatting your dog like a fly then yes, you should be protecting him
My area is overrun with poorly bred pits. Big 80lb type pits that run loose often.
When we had our last bullmastiff we would leave our dogs outside for short periods of time unsupervised. That particular bullmastiff would have squashed the average pit like an ant. Now we dont have that bully anymore.... No illusions here that a german shephuerd could win a fight with an 50-80lb pit.
So, actually my current dogs do stay inside specifically to be protected from other dogs when we are not there with them. Theres no shame in it.
dogma13 and Sabis mom like this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Elite Member

I've always found bubble wrap to be a bad protector.
1. I'm a bubble popper and ruin the bubble protection.
2. Teeth pop bubbles too.
GypsyGhost and voodoolamb like this.

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page