Funny Little Newlie Tricks! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By newlie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Funny Little Newlie Tricks!

My little buddy is pretty smart, I think! He has been bringing me his food dish for some time when I tell him "Go get your dish," but I decided today to take it a step further. I am forever tripping over his dish that he leaves laying around the house when he is finished eating, so I had him pick up his empty dish today and put it on top of his food bin and that was no problem for him at all. That will start being a regular part of his mealtime.

Then, after we played a little ball, I taught Newlie to climb into an adirondack chair and sit down and then up onto a garden bench and lay down. That was easy-peasy for him!

I had to work with him a little on picking up his leash and handing it to me. This dog, who carries around those filthy balls in his mouth, acted like that leash was made of poison. At first, he didn't want to touch it at all and then after a few days, he would try to hook it with one tooth for a second or two and then finally he would pick it up and drop it as quickly as he could. Now, he will pick it up and hand it to me if I am close by. I guess next I will have to see if I can get him to carry it across a room to me.

I think I am going to get one of those little kid basketball things, maybe second-hand, and see if I can get him to dunk a basketball!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Knighted Member

The basketball thing is an awesome idea. You'll have the next air bud. Be sure to post a couple videos of him in action.
Has he ever been told to not chew or mouth his leash. I have to constantly tell Apollo to leave his leash out of his mouth. If I were to try and tell him to pick it up he would surely think he was being set up.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Hahaha! Not Newlie! He wears his leash fine, but has no desire to put it in his mouth. My previous dog, Max, liked to carry his leash in his mouth when we walked, though..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 PM
Elite Member

Haha, he sounds like a lot of fun!!

I've gone through 4 leads already and Kaiser is only 8 months... he loves chewing his lead whilst on walks when I'm not paying attention. One he destroyed was a beautiful leather one... now he is on the cheap $15 ones!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

Love the putting the dish up out of the way. Love the idea of dunking. This would make a great video. You could you tube it callit Newlie's Best Tricks. You two could become famous.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Crowned Member

Good work. I started training my 3 to "bank" off trees, but then the temps went up and we put it on hold. My 7 year old female (Tuke) just started swimming. She never showed any interest when she was younger, now she loves it. I have to give our younger male Ollie some credit, he's such a spaz about water. She learns well by watching and he made it look fun. We threw sticks out a little further each time and now she's got it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page