• 2 Post By WIBackpacker
  • 1 Post By llombardo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Lead found dog foods...,

Invisible Killers Found Hidden in Your Pet's Food Dish

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Lead has been discussed as a matter of concern even in homemade and raw diets for some time, but you'll probably never hear about that from Dr. Becker. Here's the problem: lead is in animal bones. Bone meal products have been of special concern. This video discusses how it gets in animal bones (e.g., from farmed fish meal fed to food animals):
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/lea...on-bone-broth/

Monica Segal has been on the lead issue for years but ends up with more questions than answers:
Lead Toxicity of Bone Broth ? Should You Worry? | monicasegal.com

If you look at Monica's FB page, she's been critical of the Clean Label Project's refusal to share their actual data reports (lab tests). So have other raw food feeding sites -- and there's some suspicion developing about this project: https://therawfeedingcommunity.com/2...ed-pet-owners/

I've spent some time on the CLP's site, and I came away not sure whether it was real or a smokescreen for something. I just don't know. This history is enough to raise my hackles--read all the way down to see how Beneful and Kibbles n'Bits were top-rated:
https://wagbrag.com/clean-label-proj...orst-pet-food/
GypsyGhost and voodoolamb like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 07-03-2017 at 01:19 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

almost every time I get involved in a health thread I mention clean protein and clean water .

Flouride is in our municipal water -- more toxic than lead . Only slightly less toxic than arsenic. And the kick in the pants is that the flouride used is a waste compound from fertilizer and industry . This compound accelerates lead absorption and accumulation .
So, paramount to all concerned about lead or heavy metals start with the most basic , critical to life substances -- Water .
In Canada we have municipalities that have an agenda to get the flouride out . I have been an advocate for years.

think about it .

detox , this is where herbs and organic sulfur become important . All these are in use in the supplements.

REAL vitamin C sources, organic sulfurs -- MSM - (American made Opti-MSM) , garlic, marine greens such as
chlorella , dulse , kelp . Anything that supports liver function - glutathione the master enzyme , by providing , yes , MSM again, and whey and as a supplemental N-AC and alpha lipoic acid.

Of course a good gut flora . For elimination demulcent foods such as slippery elm and marshmallow root help with removal.
Chip18 likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member

All of this should also raise awareness but our own food too! Human-grade doesn't mean contaminate free. For example, Consumer Reports testing found very high amounts of arsenic in some rice found on supermarket shelves -- and brown rice was worse than white. It was a big deal to me because I eat a lot of whole grains, including brown rice in my own diet. California-grown has less than Texas/Louisiana-grown, but a lot of rice is commodity -- mixed together from different sources. The report didn't mention pet foods, but how could it not be in there too when so many of them contain rice in some form?

The issue with kibble might be the extreme concentration of nutrients also concentrates contaminates. Meat meals may be an issue too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

I wrote to the folks that make Orijen after reading about the ratings. Traveler's Regional Red was given only one star; apparently 300% more lead than amount considered "acceptable". Waiting to hear back.

Lynn & Traveler
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Hi,

I received a very timely report from Champion Foods, the makers of Orijen. With their permission, I have quoted below:

On Jul 5, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Customer Care wrote:

>
> Hello Lynn,
>
> Thank-you for contacting us and bringing your concern to our attention. We made several attempts beginning April 10th to contact the Clean Label Project to speak to someone about the testing methodologies and results. On April 18th we held a conference call with members of the Clean Label Project.
>
> We discovered that the Clean Label Project did not conduct any safety assessment of their heavy metal or environmental contaminants results against the National Research Council (NRC) or FDA safety standards for companion animals. Rather, the results were compared to the EPA water quality levels which they believe the general public would be familiar with. We suggested that a comparison to the correct NRC or FDA standards would be more valuable to both pet lovers and the industry.
>
> In addition, while discussing the ranking system with representatives of the Clean Label Project they admitted that no nutritional testing was done on the food. It is unsure how a ranking was applied for nutrition when no testing or evaluation was performed.
>
> Monitoring heavy metal levels is an important control point for Champion, and part of our HACCP program. We perform heavy metals testing on our foods through third-party accredited laboratories. All results are far below stipulated NRC levels.
>
> FDA recommendations are based on NRC Maximum Tolerance Levels and may be found on page 8 of this link.
>
> https://www.fda.gov/downloads/aboutf.../ucm274327.pdf
>
> The NRC is based on research performed with animals and takes into consideration both species and physiological differences.
>
> Champion Petfoods is concerned that the Clean Label Project is presenting heavy metals information that may be misinterpreted or misunderstood by pet lovers.
>
> Clean Label Project (CLP) is using the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standard for drinking water to compare against pet foods. Even if CLP chooses to disregard the National Research Council (NRC) standards which are based on 25 years of peer-reviewed research performed with animals, a more appropriate standard for comparison would be human food, rather than human drinking water. Naturally occurring heavy metals are found everywhere in nature, including in the foods that you eat each day.
>
> Please see attached chart indicating the National Research Council’s (NRC) heavy metal tolerances and demonstrates that all ORIJEN and ACANA foods tested by Clean Label, regardless of category, are significantly lower than scientifically proven limits.
>
> The following link will take you to our white paper on heavy metals and goes in to more specific information and contents.
>
> Heavy Metals and Pet Food ? White Paper ? Champion Petfoods
>
> We’ve been making foods for dogs and cats for over 25 years and are 100% confident that our foods are safe for pets and the people who care for them. If you have any other questions or I can be of further assistance please do write back.
>
> Warm Regards,
>

Lynn & Traveler
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
All of this should also raise awareness but our own food too! Human-grade doesn't mean contaminate free. For example, Consumer Reports testing found very high amounts of arsenic in some rice found on supermarket shelves -- and brown rice was worse than white. It was a big deal to me because I eat a lot of whole grains, including brown rice in my own diet. California-grown has less than Texas/Louisiana-grown, but a lot of rice is commodity -- mixed together from different sources. The report didn't mention pet foods, but how could it not be in there too when so many of them contain rice in some form?

The issue with kibble might be the extreme concentration of nutrients also concentrates contaminates. Meat meals may be an issue too.
... Which also ties in with where, along the omnivorous food chain, one is eating.

A broiler chicken, slaughtered at 8-10 weeks, will not have an equal lifetime exposure to contaminants as a steer slaughtered at 18 months, or a retired dairy cow processed after 5+ years. Assuming these animals were raised under similar agricultural models with similar water and feed sources.

Fast growing mahi-mahi have nowhere near the heavy metal levels found in slower growing fish harvested at much older ages (orange roughy, swordfish, others).

At least with the heavy metals, people *can* test for it, and the information is getting shared - like this post.

Some of the other contaminants are really unknowns at this point in time. Scary. The fact that there is still no rapid, cheap test for Glyphosate exposure (Roundup) seems absurd. Cheaper and faster urine tests are supposedly coming down the pipeline, but those won't help growers of edible plants or food processors who buy raw plant material test the crops. Given that Glyphosate has been linked to endocrine disruption, this is pretty darn important....
carmspack and voodoolamb like this.

Last edited by WIBackpacker; 07-05-2017 at 06:20 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

This article reports on the state of contamination of the US meat industry (and note at the end the recent relaxation of Chinese chicken imports...):
Why eating meat in America is like going on a trip to the drug store - Salon.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

That article was horrifying. I am waiting for someone to discover a link between all this food pollution and mental health...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler's Mom View Post
Hi,

I received a very timely report from Champion Foods, the makers of Orijen. With their permission, I have quoted below:

On Jul 5, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Customer Care wrote:

>
> Hello Lynn,
>
> Thank-you for contacting us and bringing your concern to our attention. We made several attempts beginning April 10th to contact the Clean Label Project to speak to someone about the testing methodologies and results. On April 18th we held a conference call with members of the Clean Label Project.
>
> We discovered that the Clean Label Project did not conduct any safety assessment of their heavy metal or environmental contaminants results against the National Research Council (NRC) or FDA safety standards for companion animals. Rather, the results were compared to the EPA water quality levels which they believe the general public would be familiar with. We suggested that a comparison to the correct NRC or FDA standards would be more valuable to both pet lovers and the industry.
>
> In addition, while discussing the ranking system with representatives of the Clean Label Project they admitted that no nutritional testing was done on the food. It is unsure how a ranking was applied for nutrition when no testing or evaluation was performed.
>
> Monitoring heavy metal levels is an important control point for Champion, and part of our HACCP program. We perform heavy metals testing on our foods through third-party accredited laboratories. All results are far below stipulated NRC levels.
>
> FDA recommendations are based on NRC Maximum Tolerance Levels and may be found on page 8 of this link.
>
> https://www.fda.gov/downloads/aboutf.../ucm274327.pdf
>
> The NRC is based on research performed with animals and takes into consideration both species and physiological differences.
>
> Champion Petfoods is concerned that the Clean Label Project is presenting heavy metals information that may be misinterpreted or misunderstood by pet lovers.
>
> Clean Label Project (CLP) is using the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standard for drinking water to compare against pet foods. Even if CLP chooses to disregard the National Research Council (NRC) standards which are based on 25 years of peer-reviewed research performed with animals, a more appropriate standard for comparison would be human food, rather than human drinking water. Naturally occurring heavy metals are found everywhere in nature, including in the foods that you eat each day.
>
> Please see attached chart indicating the National Research Council’s (NRC) heavy metal tolerances and demonstrates that all ORIJEN and ACANA foods tested by Clean Label, regardless of category, are significantly lower than scientifically proven limits.
>
> The following link will take you to our white paper on heavy metals and goes in to more specific information and contents.
>
> Heavy Metals and Pet Food ? White Paper ? Champion Petfoods
>
> We’ve been making foods for dogs and cats for over 25 years and are 100% confident that our foods are safe for pets and the people who care for them. If you have any other questions or I can be of further assistance please do write back.
>
> Warm Regards,
>
The problem with this? I don't believe the FDA has high enough standards and allow stuff that should never be injested by man or animal. I do not think highly of them and feel they need a major overhaul
Traveler's Mom likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page