Differences between German Shepherds, Dobermans and Rottweilers - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Differences between German Shepherds, Dobermans and Rottweilers

Putting physical differences aside, these 3 dog breeds are very similar as far as temperament, trainability and intelligence goes. Yeah one sheds more than the other, but I'm asking y'all what the differences between these 3 breeds are from y'alls experiences?

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Lordie, if you were at my DVG club this would be a common discussion. It seems that dobermans can be more...persnickety. If they don't like how you are handling things, they are more likely to shut down on you than a GSD will. We don't ever talk about rotties. There aren't any in the club. We have bouvier de flanders instead.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

How are the Bouviers as working dogs nowadays? The ones I have known in Europe were kinda lazy and nothing like the original type. Many had soft hair and started to look like Labradoodles, only at that time the latter were not "designed' yet. This was about 20 years ago. Maybe things changed. I saw some in agility and they were sluggish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

I've only come to know a couple dobes and both didn't like cold weather. They looked miserable out in the snow and preferred to be in doors. They may be out there, but I haven't come across a GSD that didn't at least like snow, my 4 love it, I'd say winter is their favorite season.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
How are the Bouviers as working dogs nowadays? The ones I have known in Europe were kinda lazy and nothing like the original type. Many had soft hair and started to look like Labradoodles, only at that time the latter were not "designed' yet. This was about 20 years ago. Maybe things changed. I saw some in agility and they were sluggish.
Good examples are few and far between, I ended up passing on getting one even though I wanted one terribly.

As bad as the GSD has been damaged, Bouvs are worse.

It's sad, a 60 lb high drive dog that doesn't shed would be awesome.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 10:47 PM

To answer the OPs question though,

Dobies are more handler sensitive they bond extremely closely with one person & even when most of them could work they had nerve issues. They were phased out of Marine Corps after WWII use due to numerous incidents of them attacking handlers under enemy fire.

Rottweilers are cattle dogs not sheep dogs, and as such are more independent and stubborn. A flock of sheep isn't trampling a dog like cattle would, so sheepdogs aren't going to die from being overly obedient to a handler.

There's a better way to put that, but I think you get the jist.
maxtmill likes this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I've trained closely with four Bouviers. I like them. Three of the four were/are good herding dogs, the fourth didn't have the right drives and I believe she's now doing tracking and nosework.

Athletic (relative to their size), independent, very aloof - the one I see weekly literally does not care about anyone besides his handler. The rest of us humans are invisible. They are thinkers, not fast-twitch reactive.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboFloppyEars View Post
Putting physical differences aside, these 3 dog breeds are very similar as far as temperament, trainability and intelligence goes. Yeah one sheds more than the other, but I'm asking y'all what the differences between these 3 breeds are from y'alls experiences?
They are not at all similar in temperament, trainability and intelligence. Block headed dogs are different. Bouviers are more similar to Rotties than a GSD or Malinois would be. You have a lot to learn.
cliffson1 and carmspack like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
They are not at all similar in temperament, trainability and intelligence. Block headed dogs are different. Bouviers are more similar to Rotties than a GSD or Malinois would be. You have a lot to learn.
Well from what I've heard they do sound very similar. All German dogs, rank in top 10 most intelligent dogs, blacklisted by insurance companies and apartment complexes, feared by the public, seen in the military and the police, considered the best breeds to be used in personal protection, and they do similar work. Okay yeah sure the Doberman is part of the working group and the Rottie and GSD are part of the herding group. GSD handles weather the best out of all 3 but sheds the most and Dobermans can't handle the cold but shed ver little.

I mean this is just going off of what I read and hear from trainers.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 01:36 AM
Master Member

These are all very different dogs especially as the breeds have changed over the years. I would more closely look very hard into each individual breed. Dobermans can be difficult dogs and I would hesitate to recommend them. The ones I have seen need a very specific type of owner. Very clingy, intense separation anxiety is very common in the breed from the ones I've been around.

Rotties, I've met very sweet ones and I've met very difficult ones. Highly depends on the breeding and training that is behind them.

And then of course German Shepherds. The type of dog you are getting varies depending on breeding and lines. I personally think they are easier than either of the other two. But it really depends on the dog and you.

These dog breeds are not what I would call similar though. And I like the mention of sheepdogs vs. cattle dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page