Air purifier w/ newborn - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Air purifier w/ newborn

Hey everyone, we have two dogs, one husky/lab mix and a Belgian Malinois and pups are doing great but we are setting up and bringing a newborn into the house soon. Any and all advise whether related on this particular topic is welcome!

I wanted to get a "good" air purifier for the room to collect the pet dander and dust etc to make it easier for when we bring the baby home. I have two on my amazon list that I am monitoring. If you have suggestions please do not hesitate to add. The two that I am watching are linked below.

This one was about 150 before it sold out
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8DAYII...=1NMVH3D51XYQS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTKAPUU...=1NMVH3D51XYQS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Aly
Master Member

Congratulations on the pending addition! You might consider joining Consumer Reports ($6.95 for a one month subscription) to see which models they recommend. Before you look at the ratings for various models, check out the Buying Guide first. One of the cons of certain air purifiers is the use of ozone generators, a known lung irritant --- something that I'd want to avoid, especially with a newborn.

Below is CR's concern about those models:

Portable models that use either electrostatic-precipitator or ionizer technology could produce some ozone, a lung irritant.
Dedicated ozone generators, a subcategory of room models, produce large amounts of ozone by design. According to manufacturers, that is to reduce allergens such as dust, smoke, pollen, germs, and mold. Ozone, however, is a serious health concern, prompting the State of California to ban the sale of ozone generators (and other air purifiers that emit more than 50 parts per billion of ozone) from the general market.

Here's where you can subscribe: Product Reviews and Ratings - Consumer Reports

OR, you could simply ban the dogs from the baby's room and invest in a really good vacuum cleaner. CR has reviews for those as well.

Aly

Last edited by Aly; 06-20-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: randomosity
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

We have had our human babies born in the home with pet dander around. No air purifier. They grew up healthy.
RZZNSTR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

I run two air purifiers, I have parrots and then the 3 dogs....
I use honeywells. I also have an air compressor to blow out the filters once a week.
IF you don't clean the filters, the air purifier is not going to be efficient.
I don't fear 'dog dander' but do know how bad the filters get on a weekly basis.
I also blow out the vacuum filters weekly, I do it when my neighbors aren't home, lol

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
We have had our human babies born in the home with pet dander around. No air purifier. They grew up healthy.
I grew up around pet dander too and have plenty of allergies and asthma. My asthma gets to life threatening levels with cat dander, specifically. My point in saying that is that I don't think it's a good idea to use one anecdote to make a point about what health choices someone should make for a child. We don't all react the same and I don't think allergies and asthma can be pinned to one factor.

That said, If you have a family history of Allergies and asthma I would speak to an immunologist or an allergist and determine what you can do to reduce the risk of your baby developing those conditions (if anything). I think allergies/asthma probably develop for multiple reasons...so you could keep the kid in a bubble or rub his face in every furry animal that walks by and still get a kid with allergies. But, again, an actual MD can make more informed comments about what you should do based on family history and all that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

On another note, but maybe related: there is research that shows that babies, born by C section have a higher risk of asthma and allergies than babies born the normal route.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...inal-bacteria/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbat215 View Post
I grew up around pet dander too and have plenty of allergies and asthma. My asthma gets to life threatening levels with cat dander, specifically. My point in saying that is that I don't think it's a good idea to use one anecdote to make a point about what health choices someone should make for a child. We don't all react the same and I don't think allergies and asthma can be pinned to one factor.

That said, If you have a family history of Allergies and asthma I would speak to an immunologist or an allergist and determine what you can do to reduce the risk of your baby developing those conditions (if anything). I think allergies/asthma probably develop for multiple reasons...so you could keep the kid in a bubble or rub his face in every furry animal that walks by and still get a kid with allergies. But, again, an actual MD can make more informed comments about what you should do based on family history and all that.
I appreciate the input from everyone and we will probably get an air purifier and like onyx'girl suggested clean it regularly but we plan to speak to the doctor about it as well. I just wanted the communities input on what they have used if they do have a purifier. We live in AZ so the air quality isn't the best and my wife can be overly worried about stuff so anything to ease her mind : ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page