Take your pick - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Take your pick

You have an option here to pick one of two dogs.

First dog is a very healthy dog with solid physical structure and joints. However, this dog is very reactive, shows dog aggression, is incredibly stubborn and disobedient. Has a tough time distinguishing between enemy and friends. Listens when he wans to. Doesn't like kids.

Second dog has a very sound temperament, is obedient and is a joy to have around. However, he has hip displaycia, poor joints, elbows and bone structure. Also has allergies and a sensitive stomach. Expected to have a short lifespan.

So what will it be? Healthy dog with a poor temperament and aggressive tendencies, or dog with multiple health issues but has a sound temperament.

NOTE: I have a feeling this thread might offend some people and it isn't really meant to do that.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Crowned Member

Hypothetical question, my real answer would be neither, put your money back in your pocket until the dog you are looking for comes along. A dog is a commitment of many years, if you cannot wait weeks or even months, then you may have a problem.

But if it must be one or the other -- sitting in a jail sell and offered a choice between two dogs for your prison-dog-program or something like that, I'd pick the one with reactivity/dog aggression issues. Hips are what they are. You aren't going to change that. You may have the money for an operation, but the dog probably will have problems with them down the line, if it is already showing problems.

But there are so many people out there that haven't a clue on how to raise a puppy, that too many dogs get into bad habits and are labeled things like "alpha", "dog aggressive", "reactive", and "stubborn." Heck if I hear "stubborn" and GSD in the same sentence, I am probably looking at someone who doesn't know how to train a puppy. So that dog may or may not have temperament issues.

And even if it does, chances are good that I can get them to manageable.

Temperament is what it is, but way too many people believe their GSD is a grizzly bear.
eddie1976E and karladupler like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Idk if I'd agree on the GSD and stubborn claim. An Instagram of a highly trained GSD mentioned on how they are a strong minded stubborn breed. Apparently the same is said about Rottweilers.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Knighted Member

Agree. Healthy dog. The rest can be managed. But also think that intentionally settling for either is crazy.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Knighted Member

As far as gsd and stubborn. Maybe it's just unmotivated. Find what drives the dog and use it.
IronhideKennels likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Crowned Member

Stubborn is a human trait and disobedience is lack of training. I would choose the first if I had time and help. Good luck. Sounds like someone is holding a gun to your head to make a choice ?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 PM

Assuming you are talking GSD.
Since you have a choice I'd say neither. Working backwards HD and medical problems are going to make you poor treating it and sad when you lose your dog. A big aggressive reactive high drive dog is a real handful. If you have experience with this you still will need good help setting up win situations for the dog. Its going to be everyday all the dog's waking hours. It's going to be a long time coming too. If the dog was only dog aggressive but love people and kids I'd say maybe. Kid problems are very difficult as you never know when some kid will get in the way. Sometimes poor upbringing as a pup lets this get out of hand. Very careful well thought out training may reverse this. Heavy handed stuff will probably get you bitten and the situation will probably get worse. It may even be a medical problem anyway.

I wouldn't walk into this one. Having a dog and working with them is supposed to be fun and relaxing for everyone, including the dog.
Just my opinion.
eddie1976E likes this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Elite Member

Why bother with either? It's like being given a choice how to be killed...do you want to be stoned to death or burned alive??? Well, neither...
selzer and GatorBytes like this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboFloppyEars View Post
Idk if I'd agree on the GSD and stubborn claim. An Instagram of a highly trained GSD mentioned on how they are a strong minded stubborn breed. Apparently the same is said about Rottweilers.

Most of the "stubborn" GSDs out there suffer from a poor, inexperienced, inconsistent trainer. A lot of times a dog that is shutting down is called stubborn. GSDs don't want to do the wrong thing, so if you are giving them conflicting signals, they may sit there and look at you, like you've lost your mind. Or they will look away, because that's a calming signal and you are getting more and more frustrated with him.

German Shepherds are intelligent and have excellent memories. If you went crazy on him for breaking a stay for instance, they can develop a kind of block. And you might have to re-start with a different word and method. But that is not stubborn. If German Shepherds are affected by stubbornness, it is usually the trainer who is stubbornly trying to train the dog a certain way because that is what they did with some other dog and it worked, or because that is what some yayhoo that has never met the dog has told him the dog needs. Too many GSD trainers suffer from being stubborn.

And if enough people mention the trait, a trainer will parrot it, however highly regarded. I mean, a trainer can say that they have had much success with stubborn GSDs, and lots of people with dogs they consider stubborn, will believe that he is the right dude for them. If lots of people believe GSDs are stubborn, and a trainer is out there saying, "No, GSDs are biddible and fairly easy to train" a lot of people are going to keep looking for the trainer that takes them seriously. And, right, a trainer's job is to sell himself to you. If I know, and he knows the problem is in the handler and not the handled, then his services might not be purchased. Because most people don't think they need help, they think the dog needs help.

Ah well. I love my dogs. They teach me so much.
Casto likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
Why bother with either? It's like being given a choice how to be killed...do you want to be stoned to death or burned alive??? Well, neither...
I always thought the guillotine would be not such a bad way to go. I mean, you'd be scared to death until the thing started to slide, and then you wouldn't know anymore. Like Harry Potter, as long as it's quick, I don't want to suffer.

Well, maybe there are two young dogs at the local shelter, and the OP wants to give a dog a shot at a good life, so maybe he wants to pick the one that might give him the best chance at having a decent pet, given some work or money will be required.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page