Okay let's get this figured out. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By LoboFloppyEars
  • 1 Post By Sunsilver
  • 1 Post By Deb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Okay let's get this figured out.

One question that keeps popping up is, what is Lobo mixed with?

He acts like a GSD, head shaped like a GSD, ears bend like a GSD's ears, moves and trots like one. Most people think he has Lab and they might be right, his body somewhat resembles that of a Field Lab.
But with the exception of his friendly demeanor and his black coat he's not Lab like at all.

Other times I think he might have some Border Collie, Aussie or Doberman.

Time and time this forum has proven me wrong so I'll let y'all tell me on this one.

UGHHH WHY DO THE PICTURES KEEP TURNING SIDEWAYS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	427986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	427994  
Mary Beth and RZZNSTR like this.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Crowned Member

handsome Lobo looks all or nearly all gsd to me. If mixed, I do agree with you on the border collie. My neighbor has a lovely husky/border collie mix and the head looks a lot like your Lobo's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Knighted Member

It all depends on how the genes assort themselves in the sperm and egg. Two pups from a mixed breed litter can look like entirely different breeds, with one taking after the father, and the other the mother.

I have seen dogs you would have SWORN were purebred GSDs that were actually mixes. This dog, for instance, looks like a black and silver GSD. I don't remember what the other parent was, but it was NOT something you would ever guess from looking at him!
Attached Images

RZZNSTR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

It's near impossible to look at a dog and guess with any real accuracy what breeds are in it. You can guess and have fun doing it, but as Sunsilver said, it depends on the genes. The only way to know with any certainty is to do a DNA test. And even then it can be a little off, but it's the closest you'll be able to get to know what he's mixed with. There are a number of dogs that are mixed and you'd never guess by their phenotype what they are, it can be quite surprising to to be told the breeds in them.
Mary Beth likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Master Member

Yup, I'm with everyone else. My mutt appears to be half Sheltie, half terrier. His sister was half Sheltie, half Rottie... so dogs are just one of those things where you're just not sure unless you've seen the parents - and even then things happen. Plus a lot of people look at a black GSD and don't even know what they are, so I wouldn't even boggle your mind trying to figure it out based on other people's opinions.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Elite Member

Looks like an Aussie or Sheltie in the wood pile. Do the ear tips always bend like that?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 03:34 PM

I see Lab in the short, thick tail.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Elite Member

Yes I think you are right about the tail. Also, an aussie or sheltie would likely give some white feet and markings.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Looks like an Aussie or Sheltie in the wood pile. Do the ear tips always bend like that?
I could see maybe some Aussie but I can't see any Sheltie. His ear tips bend to the side, I do seriously doubt that Lobo is one of those multi mix breeds though, could be possible, but I doubt it.

Here's him in motion and before anyone judges me for letting jump on a tree like that I don't normally let him do that. Just felt like letting him jump on that tree that one time lol.

https://instagram.com/p/BVVeAZ-ljsD/

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

That is because he is looking up at the squirrel. I think there is Lab in the woodpile like brightspot says>His color and his tail.Aussie would give white marks or at least white feet. It is a good cross I think. Both breeds have many good qualities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page