CBD oil for Anxiety? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Arrow CBD oil for Anxiety?

Does anyone have any experience using CBD for anxiety? In the nearly 2 years we've had Chandler we have had over a dozen experiences with loose dogs. Mostly smaller dogs who had bigger barks than bites (save for the Shi Tzu who bit Chan's face and tore off my fiance's thumbnail). In addition to that we have a lot of neighbors who allow their dogs to rush the fence and bark like crazy...in some cases it is an efence and we aren't sure if the dog is loose or what.

We have been working on focus and engagement but our town is so small and so many people have dogs that in the spring and summer it can really be a challenge. Everywhere you turn a dog is nearby it seems. So after all this time, Chandler is on full alert whenever we take a walk. His hair is up and he is tense like he expects a dog to come at him at anytime...which I can't blame him for.

Ok, so I was trying to find other ways of helping him. I thought if I could get him to relax a little it would be easier to work on the issue while we are out and about.

I started doing some reading on CBD oil after seeing it mentioned here and hearing about it from a friend who is very active in MJ legalization. It seemed to me in my reading that any side effects were pretty mild and people were having huge improvements in their dogs' health and behavior.

So I bought a tincture and I gave him some last night based in the dosage of 1mg for every 10lbs. That seemed to be the standard from what I read.

I gave half of that about an hour before our walk and then the other half about 20 minutes before after I observed him.

Results:

He had a lot of energy. It might be that he had been cooped up the past few days but he had A LOT of energy. We didn't really see any dogs so I can't speak to that. I guess I expected a more sedate pooch?

One neat thing...Chandler is a bit older and not as athletic as some of the younger dogs in his training group but last night we passed a 4ft high retaining wall and he jumped on it from a sitting position. He has never done anything like that before.

So what are everyone's thoughts? Too much? Not enough? Do I need to give it more time to kick in? Should I not mix it in with his food? Does it need time to build in his system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

In what form are you giving it?

I use the wax/oil on their gumline. I have seen great results, but they aren't going to walk around looking doped up, slow down or drunk...

Mostly it helps them feel better when they're in pain so that they act more themselves, or inhibits anxiety to create a more balanced looking dog.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
In what form are you giving it?

I use the wax/oil on their gumline. I have seen great results, but they aren't going to walk around looking doped up, slow down or drunk...

Mostly it helps them feel better when they're in pain so that they act more themselves, or inhibits anxiety to create a more balanced looking dog.

It's an oil that mixed with a bit of wet food since I didn't think he would take to it. Do you think it would work better taken independently of food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

Yes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen dog formulations of it for sale in natural pet supply stores in CO, and the owner of that store had good experiences.

I've looked for research in dogs and talked to my vet ophthalmologist about it when my blind dog was first diagnosed with glaucoma (before we had his eyes removed), but her concern was the lack of dosing and toxicology info on it in dogs -- she just didn't know how to dose it effectively, or know how to predict whether it might interact with other meds. You might ask your vet to call the vet school in Fort Collins, CO to see if they've done any work on dosing and effectiveness--my guess is that someone there is working on it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member

Can't you walk him somewhere else outside town (drive)? He may also feed of your anxiety. Just a look from you is enough to know that something is up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 AM

If you are suffer in aniety then you should have to use CBD oil. It is best for anxiety removal. I was also suffer from anxiety from many years but after the usage of CBD oil now i am feel comfortable. Hope so, this is the answer of your question.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM

Colorado State University (CSU) is doing studies on the effects of CBD on horses and dogs too, I believe.

From horse owners who've used it, it seems it takes up to 3 weeks for the effects to kick in. Some are using it for

pain in older or injured horses. Results seem to be mixed.

I've wondered about the efficacy of using it in dogs for anxiety, where the dog really isn't learning self-control or

how to handle their emotional reactions to situations. Similar to using sedatives in animals for a one time procedure,

it doesn't teach the animal how to handle the procedure, it just masks the pain or fear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page