question on pup going nuts chasing older dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

question on pup going nuts chasing older dog

Not sure exactly how we should handle this. So heres the situation. We have an older lab who we use a chuck it to play fetch with daily. When our five month old pup sees her chasing the ball he goes absolutely nuts. He wants to chase her not the ball. When I say nuts I mean totally out of control. Focused completely on her, bigh pitched barking whining jumping craziness. If he is loose he will chase and grab her, jumping all over her etc. He will stop when she drops the ball and goes nuts again when she runs for the ball again. If on leash or behind fence when shes playing fetch his frustration is unbelievable.
My wife had the lab before we met, and has created a total ball obsession in her. I can distract the pup somewhat with his own ball, but I dont want him to become ball obsessed like the lab. The intensity with which he focuses on the lab during these play times is out of control.!
I'd love advice from everyone as to how we should handle this.
Of coarse my best case scenario would be being able to throw the ball and play with our lab without him going nutso......
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Elite Member

Take the pup for a walk elsewhere when you want to play with the lab. Don't play ball with either around until pup is older and capable of containing emotions.. May never come that both can play together, but maybe later with more training it will be possible.. Right now, no..
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

What I've done in the past is put them both on leash and give each a turn. I just made the one who's waiting their turn sit.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Steve stromm: we did just start having them take turns like you stated, and it did seem like it was starting to help. We also thought it maybe could be a good exercise to work on his learning to focus on us rather than distractions.
Ok good to know we stumbled onto a right path.
Would it be a good idea to start working this daily as a mental exercise for the pup?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Would doing this as an exercise be too much to ask of a five month old pup?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Oh shoot, guess I should have said when we take turns the pup is loose and runs with her to get the first ball then I distract him by throwing the second ball so they are both bringing one back at the same time. But if he was restrained on leash or behind fence there is no getting him to hold a sit. Its all you can do to get hime to hear you at all hes so worked up.....
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Knighted Member

We have this still with our 3 and 6 year old, if we don't control them. Older one is fetch crazy, the younger loves fetch if the older one isn't playing. She only has eyes for her sister if they both are unrestrained. For everyone's enjoyment we play fetch separately. We can make her sit and not charge, but it's not relaxing, she's a very vocal girl.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Elite Member

Your last post is how I understood it.. When leashed the pup is over excited and frantic. I personally wouldn't have the pup playing around the lab (ball) until he could contain himself a bit better. Having him wait his turn is excellent but only if he isn't a nightmare while it is happening. Hence the taking him for a walk when he gets over excited (basically a time out, but still expelling energy). Once a bit more mature he may chill.. But that is just me..
DutchKarin likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm yes he is a nightmare while hes waiting a turn if restrained.... Might be with yall on the waiting til he is older.
Like to start things early as possible, so kind of a bummer that we might have to wait for more maturity. Or never happen at all.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisedbyshepherds View Post
Steve stromm: we did just start having them take turns like you stated, and it did seem like it was starting to help. We also thought it maybe could be a good exercise to work on his learning to focus on us rather than distractions.
Ok good to know we stumbled onto a right path.
Would it be a good idea to start working this daily as a mental exercise for the pup?
I wouldn't ask for focus at all. Just knock that cr p off. I've always found it easier to show them they can't be stupid when they're younger then when they mature. I'm not trying to contradict anyone, but I look at this as basic obedience and at 5 mos they're kinda going through one of their first maturing phases. At 9mos, it will be even harder. 15 mos, good luck. 2 yrs, you're done. Maybe not with every dog, so others could have success doing it different.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page