Thinking of joining the anti dog park bandwagon - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of joining the anti dog park bandwagon

So something I do notice here, is there seems to be an anti dog park mentality in these forums. Everyone here has reasonable reasons for why they are anti dog park but I have been having a tough time adjusting to this mentality.

Lobo, now 2 years old has calmed down a bit but still has his moments. Last week I went to the dog park and Lobo was just like his one year old self, running around, playing with all of the dogs, though he was surprisingly gentle considering his usual rough housing methods. It was fun and everyone was happy.

Today, completely different story. Lobo and all the dogs were all super reactive today. Maybe a female was in heat nearby. A lot of inact males present too and stereotypical "aggressive" breeds. An American Bulldog, fighting breed mix, two GSDs, an unknown mix, and a Boxer were present. For some reason, every five minutes, growling and snarling was going on. Surprisingly, Lobo was involved in very few of these. Yet at least three brief dog fights happened. Throughout the day there was dogs snapping at each other back and forth.

However, the following events were partly my fault. I grabbed a big tree branch, and had every dog's attention, I then threw it, not knowing it would set off one of the GSD's recourse guarding. Lobo and this GSD started tugging with the branch and they were both snarling and growling and the GSD's owner negatively reacted to this and took the branch and threw it somewhere else. This probably put the GSD into fighting mode. First, a GSD vs. the fighting breed mix, then he challenged the Boxer. GSD growled and snapped at a friendly GSD but the friendly GSD didn't fight back. He then challenged the Bulldog. Lobo again aside from barking and telling them to stop did not jump in. Then the Boxer went at it with the Bulldog and that's when I leashed up Lobo and said it's time to leave the park as this is just a terrible situation.

I mean Lobo doesn't need to be exposed to this as it is bad socialization, and it seemed to almost traumatize him. He didn't let any dog near him except the friendly GSD.

Long story short, terrible day at the dog park.
car2ner likes this.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Knighted Member

And THAT'S why some of us don't like dog parks!

I used to take my dogs to the dog park, but the problem was ignorant owners who were ignoring their dogs, and not being aware their dog was causing problems. There's also the risk of your dog picking up parasites from the dog poop, or getting communicable diseases.

Witnessed a German shepherd try to kill a small fluffy mutt while his oblivious owner stood drinking coffee and smoking with a group of friends. When the woman picked her dog up to save it, the GSD didn't quit, but tried to rip it out of her arms. Finally, he gave up and went after my 3 month old puppy, and tried to grab HER by the neck (this is the kill bite, followed by shaking the other dog.) I yelled at him, but he didn't back off, so I grabbed his collar. He tried to bite me.

I took the boots to him. THAT FINALLY got his owner's attention...

Another situation: woman brought her young female GSD to the park. She was JUST out of heat, but the male dogs could still smell it, and it created a VERY volatile situation. I got my dogs OUT OF THERE before someone could provide a spark to set off a major dog fight. I also warned people about to bring there dogs in that now was NOT a good time!

So, yeah, dog parks CAN be fun, but they can also be very dangerous.
car2ner, sebrench, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Elite Member

Yup...Dog parks are great until they aren't. And when they aren't... the long lasting effects of a bad experience can be hard to recover from. In many cases the dog is changed for life. We used to be part of the dog park crowd and saw much of what you experienced too many times. It became obvious the stress of the dog park out weighed the benefits of the off leash space. We stopped going and are much happier and safer for it.

Welcome to the anti-dog park club
Mudypoz and giebel like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 PM

Hate dog parks. We never go to them. They are a good place to develope reactivity among other things. Our appartment has a private one that they had professionally designed. It actually is nice if it weren't for the thoughtless people that use it. Numerous dog problems have happened. People don't pick up after their dogs even with threat of hefty fine. It has a ring around it with landscaping chips. Horrible smell when it rains or is wet. I can't imagin what grows in it. I won't let my dog near any of the dogs in the appartment. I spent a lot of time and money training and I don't need it undone by untrained dogs.

Just my opinion.

Byron
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Knighted Member

Don't think of it as anti dog park. Think of it as pro common sense. Or anti stupid dog owners group. Or don't put my dog in uncontrollable situations group. Sure a lot of people go to dog parks, **** they're popping up everywhere. But, that doesn't mean they're a good idea. I have taken my dogs to one dog park and there wasn't a person in sight. Had there been I would have never been there. My oldest male (2 yr old) for some reason thinks he has to be the top dog in every situation. So we just avoid situations where he has to interact with dogs outside of his own pack. Not saying he isn't fine at club while we're working. But if there is another dog and they're off leash he is willing to fight them anytime. To establish himself as in charge.
giebel likes this.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Knighted Member

Hey, CD, dont'cha know that the alpha dominance theory is supposed to be a bunch of B.S.?? At least, that's what the all-positive crowd says.

I saw it on the net, so it HAS to be true....
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Hey, CD, dont'cha know that the alpha dominance theory is supposed to be a bunch of B.S.?? At least, that's what the all-positive crowd says.

Yep, I heard that. But then I seen my dog always trying to stand over other dogs, getting in their faces, peeing over their pee even if it meant he peed on them if they didn't get out of the way quick enough. Dominance, rudeness, whatever it's called I just avoid situations where it's a issue.
Not an issue with myself or my family just other dogs.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post

Abraham Lincoln once said this about the internet.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

Welcome to the bandwagon, good choice for your GSD.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:21 PM

Curious, do most of the folks that use dog parks live in urban areas where places to run are few? We used a school playground down the street with our first gsd. It was big, fenced, and playground equipment is fun. Now we have kids and spend a lot of time at the baseball park. Another great place to let them run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page