Anxiety and my dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Location: a sleepy town near the very beginnings of the mighty himalayas
Anxiety and my dog?

about a month and a half ago, i was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, my final exams are two days from over before ill be in college so the added stress of that, coupled with the start of Ramadan has been horrid for my health. the worst part of it is that 1 and half year old AJ is getting the brunt of it.
before everything, he was a happy tired-all-the-time dog. after my diagnosis, i started holding him with a loose leash, so to speak. he's digging up the lawn, doesnt respond to his name or off leash commands. i tried to get back on track by reteaching the 'come here' command for starters but after one day of success it was a downward spiral of a week (even chicken wasnt motivation enough for him to listen when i said 'come here'). on leash, hes a different dog entirely and i dont understand how to keep him in that good-dog state of mind off leash like he is on leash. im worried he might not comfortable transition back into that calmer state of mind? is there any way to know if he still trusts me to make decisions or how to get him back on track? im worried my 'slacking off' as a pack leader is confusing him?
im not sure how to go about making myself a pack leader in his eyes (again) and how to reteach commands? or his name for that matter?
any help is desperately needed and appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Location: a sleepy town near the very beginnings of the mighty himalayas
someone mentioned that since it gets pretty hot here, 35 degrees celsius (95 F) is common summer temps (he's shielded from it, he has shade with cooling water pipes running through the top, cooling mat etc), then maybe it might just be exhaustion and tiredness not confusion? his attitude and behaviour does get much better and calmer in the late evening so maybe??
this whole situation is confusing!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewshepherd View Post
someone mentioned that since it gets pretty hot here, 35 degrees celsius (95 F) is common summer temps (he's shielded from it, he has shade with cooling water pipes running through the top, cooling mat etc), then maybe it might just be exhaustion and tiredness not confusion? his attitude and behaviour does get much better and calmer in the late evening so maybe??
this whole situation is confusing!
Yes - I agree that the behavior is due to the heat and it would be best to train for a short period in the late evening and to end with a playtime like a game of tug. Be sure he wins after a struggle as that is a good way to build up a bond as he associates you with fulfilling his prey drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page