Why are people so close minded? - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisedbyshepherds View Post
Ok, someone somehow tell me whhat is this mysterious breed we arent supposed to talk about?? Killin me here!
what mysterious breed - must be missing something

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

please notice that not one of the real working herding dog is in the ASL's revered "flying trot" side gait --
note the variety of movements ---
note the moderate , balanced conformation - not a one extreme --- note the top lines - strong backs
cliffson1, Sunsilver and Casto like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #113 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
please notice that not one of the real working herding dog is in the ASL's revered "flying trot" side gait --
note the variety of movements ---
note the moderate , balanced conformation - not a one extreme --- note the top lines - strong backs
I 'note"-iced haha

Jupiter Rising!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM

So my big question here is if certain supposedly desirable traits are anti productive to the dogs ability to work at the job it was originally created for, and the breed standard is there to give guidelines to help the breed retain its original purpose, then how the heck are all these things that are anti productive being considered acceptable?? I mean, I understand if the breeds purpose changes over time and the standard changes to reflect that, but all these " specialty gsd " being bred to be great at specific purposes rather than being the all around utility dog they are supposed to be, should they be considered separate breeds or should the standard be changed or what?
I have a special interest in this side of things per my old bullmastiffs....the current standard breeds dogs that are not as well suited for the original purpose of poacher hunting, but better for being a guardian of house and land. Not chasing down armed men in the woods......
With the gsd even a small amount of looking around one sees dogs that may as well be separate breeds. I personally was looking for an all around utility dog when last went looking for a pup. Not an easy search. Everyone screams breed standard like its holy, but how is breeding dogs that have so much prey drive without the head to contain that drive, any better than breeding gsds that are larger than standard, but more suited to guarding a small piece of property. The former seems to be accepted practice, but the latter is a sin?
If youre gonna start separating a breed into subsets that are better at certain things than the other subsets, where does it stop? Or when do these dogs get called separate breeds?
Curious as to what the very knowledgeable on here would like to see happen with these things.
This thread is on open mindedness, and with this breed I see alot people shouting about the standard, yet breeding dogs that may as well be different breeds.
A gsd is not a gsd is not a gsd. Lol
And if the gsd is not primarily being used as a living fence anymore, should we even be clinging to a standard to retain dogs to perform a job no longer being done?
For me personally i think that with all these different types of gsd at this point its a free for all and thats fine if everyone can find a type of gsd that fits their purpose. To each his own. Open minded. .....as long as someone is retaining a core of dogs that that still perform the original purpose to draw from. The real deal as it were.
I am most interested in what experienced breeders think should happen......
ubercake likes this.
post #115 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM

I have always been told that the gsd is supposed to be good at everything but great at nothing. If this helps to understand where I'm coming from with this
post #116 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

The whole standard still means something to some of us, but personal likes, ribbons, trophies, and misconceptions occupy a higher value to many breeders today than the breed standard.
Close minded views are a big part of maintaining selective specialties in the breed.....it is what it is.
Slamdunc, carmspack and Galathiel like this.
post #117 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Crowned Member

raisedbyshepherds makes some good points - many which I have discussed , 3 separate breed designation

those looking for a specific trait will know where to find it -- the law enforcement / working group doesn't look to ASL's - because the rate of finding one for those purposes is slim to none -- go to where you will be most successful and even then you have to work at it

looking for a dog to compete in SV Zuchtshau ? you know where to find it -- certainly not working or the ASL

looking for a big ASL winner -- look to this grouping
the breeders tend to stay within their own group

comment on this
", any better than breeding gsds that are larger than standard, but more suited to guarding a small piece of property"

these tend to hail from the pet-market breeders -- and the protection element is reduced --

Carmen

post #118 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM

See so many people owning gsds say its not what they expected. Their fault for not doing proper research, but most people just dont realize there are several types....and the dogs suffer for it. Sad to see.... Its almost like a standard doesnt really exist..
post #119 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisedbyshepherds View Post
See so many people owning gsds say its not what they expected. Their fault for not doing proper research, but most people just dont realize there are several types....and the dogs suffer for it. Sad to see.... Its almost like a standard doesnt really exist..
Oh, a standard exists. Very few attempt to follow it. Even the most basic things like hips and elbows, not to mention conformation, working ability or temperament.
cliffson1, carmspack and Sunsilver like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #120 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

spoke with Linda Shaw yesterday and was told that
"My book is now available as an eBook.
THE ILLUSTRATED STANDARD EBOOK, $25 USD |

I spoke with her to get a picture of her feisty Schipperke to get a picture for Bailiff - got one but don't know how to post it

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page