Mosquitoes - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Mosquitoes

I just know the mosquitoes are going to be bad this summer as our winter was so mild. I am a little leery of insecticides because of Newlie, but I really dread all the bites when I am out playing with Newlie in the yard. I already wear pants, not shorts, and shirts with some king of sleeve( can't do long), any ideas that others have found useful?
RZZNSTR and BHoffman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Elite Member

I've heard Neem oil works OK but smells a bit weird.

Also eucalyptus and lemon oil sprays work well. Smells strong, too.

Pyrethrin is also safe when diluted properly, and cheap. Dilute it per instructions you can easily find on line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

This one is a good "Natural" product.

Herbal Armour Natural Insect Repellent
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Aherbal+armour
Active Ingredients: Oil of Soybean 11.5%, Oil of Citronella 10.0%, Oil of Peppermint 2.0%, Oil of Cedar 1.50%, Oil of Lemongrass 1.00%, Oil of Geranium 0.05%.
Inactive Ingredients: (73.95%): Water, Glyceryl Stearate, Beeswax, Vegetable Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid.

Herbal Armor for Pets is the same ingredients (according to the company = All Terrain: All Terrain Pet Herbal Armor Natural Insect Repellent 4 oz.)

*Active Ingredients: Oil of Soybean 11.5%, Oil of Citronella 10.0%, Oil of Peppermint 2.0%, Oil of Cedar 1.50%, Oil of Lemongrass 1.00%, Oil of Geranium 0.05%.
Inactive Ingredients: (73.95%): Water, Glyceryl Stearate, Beeswax, Vegetable Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid.

Although it contains Sodium Lauryl Phosphate, Wondercide is a good product. Also has a nice bar soap for bathes and lawn aides.

Natural Flea, Tick & Mosquito Control for Dogs, Cats & Home | EvolvCEDAR: Active: 5.7% Cedar Oil, 2.2% Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, 0.1% Sesame Oil | Inert: 92% Water, Polyglyceryl Oleate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Ethyl Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
LEMONGRASS: Active: 4.2% Cedar Oil, 2.2% Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, 1.5% Lemongrass Oil, 0.1% Sesame Oil | Inert: 92% Water, Polyglyceryl Oleate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Ethyl Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
ROSEMARY: Active: 4.2% Cedar Oil, 2.2% Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, 1.5% Rosemary Oil, 0.1% Sesame Oil | Inert: 92% Water, Polyglyceryl Oleate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Ethyl Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
Learn more about our ingredients here.
PRODUCT INFORMATION SHEET

I also have a list of "Natural" DYI's if you are interested.

I add Fresh Garlic to our dogs food for health and as an insect repellent.

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

First, get control of puddles on your property. There are nontoxic mosquito "dunks" and "bits" that are a safe form of mosquito control for standing water (and won't hurt amphibians who live there). Don't forget the planters and the saucers under them. Open up the cover to check your water main pit too -- we always find water standing in that hole. We reapply the "mosquito bits" to ponds and catch basins at least monthly....sometimes more often when we've had lots of rain that flushed out what was there. You can find this stuff at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, or Amazon. Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Summit-respon...mosquito+dunks

Second, spray weekly with Wondercide Eco-Treat yard spray during peak season. It works in a hose sprayer. It's expensive, but it does seem to help. Just choose a time when the beneficial insects aren't present, so that you aren't killing bees and dragon flies. It has been effective for me, but only with weekly application -- it doesn't have much staying power, but it does make the yard smell fantastic. Be sure to get the shady areas and sheltered parts of the yard -- that's where mosquitoes (and fleas) love to hide out during the day.

Third, use the Wondercide dog spray when you go out--it has to be reapplied every time. Dogs seem to hate the smell though... :/

For what it's worth, the common chemical pesticide sprays for mosquitoes don't seem to have any staying power either. Our city does free yard spraying with pyrethrin-based stuff....and it still has to be repeated weekly to help. So the need for weekly Wondercide spraying really isn't all that different in terms of convenience.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-15-2017 at 02:36 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Crowned Member

It has been said that lemon eucalyptus is more effective then deet.

I use eucalyptus E.O. on myself. But once opened less effective the next summer.
I just put drops on my hands and rub together, apply on my clothes and exposed skin. You have to use a reasonable amount. Not two drops and that will cover you.
I used to fluff it into G's mane and down his back (not a lot) and he seemed mosquito free.

Also mosquito's apparently like beer drinkers. I...will continue to use E.O.
Traveler's Mom likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

Good question. I was thinking about this last week on one of our rare warm days. We have a pond loaded with fish frogs and all sorts of creatures. Will explore the Mosquito bits.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

I haven't used it around fish. I can say that my frogs are still making a racket in the evening though, so they're definitely still around.
ksotto333 likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

Where we live there are mosquitos that are simply savage. We have been using a service that uses Bayer products. They spray every 21 days and the mosquitos are hammered. This works!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:49 PM

I feel your pain.

I tried the natural route to address a tick problem. I don't live far from Lyme, Ct. Ticks are a deadly problem. While often different enviroments will require a different approach, it either works or it doesn't.

I finally broke down and went with the Nexgard. Since I administered the first chewable pill, I've yet to pull one tick off that has bitten. I check my dog religiously every day. I use Vets Best spray on my pups bed and rug at entrance. I also have the Vets Best wetnaps that I will wipe the dog down quickly with if he went into the woods.

When I was at the Vet getting final shots and picking up the Nexgard, I also bought a supply of HEARTGARD PLUS. Mosquitos can cause heartworm disease and hookworm infections. Do the obvious , by addressing standing water and other habitats that attract mosquitos, but if they're an issue, you might want to look into Heartgard if natural things aren't working. 1 pill a month and one less thing to worry about. Good luck
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

Pivot, I'm glad you put your dog on HW protection! It's very, very important. ALL dogs in the US should be on HW protection, unless they're at death's door from something else. We can debate whether they all need it year-round (as the American HW Society recommends), but there is no part of the US where you can afford not to give HW protection during warm months. Even in dry desert areas, HW exists (a shelter in NM told me they are seeing cases regularly even there). The cost of HW treatment is typically $1,000-$1,500, and it's incredibly hard on the dog (2+ months of crate rest).

Heartguard has a ton of generic competitors with the same active ingredients: TriHeart Plus and Iverhart Plus (or Max) are easy to find ones, Walmart's pharmacy has an exclusive one called Pet Trust Plus -- they all run about $30 per 6 count. The only reason to buy the HG brand is to get "insurance" from your vet that if there's a break-through infection, the manufacturer will pay for treatment. You don't get that "guarantee" if you buy online, but you can cut the cost way, way down by buying a generic with the same active ingredient from KVSupply.com or Valleyvet.com, using your vet's RX (Vet-VIPPs certified pharmacies selling the same FDA-approved drugs as your vet). However, ivermectin (the active ingredient in HG) is no longer the prevention of choice for me because of the emergence of ivermectin-resistant heartworms along the Gulf Coast. That's not a concern in northern states. We've shifted to Advantage Multi because the Auburn study on resistance found zero resistance to it (yet). AFAIK, Northern states have no documented cases of ivermectin-resistance, and the hard freezes in the winter might perhaps provide some protection against the spread..
Pivot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page