5Likes
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 2 Post By carmspack
  • 1 Post By Jenny720
  • 1 Post By WateryTart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Dog Exercise Area (Dog Park)

I had a feeling this day would come and I have been mildly dreading it. The day I realized I could not give Archer enough exercise around the house. We live in a townhome with nowhere to let him run off leash. I have done my best but I knew it was coming to a head. So I bit the bullet. Very close to me is a 66-acre dog park, they call them dog exercise areas. For $50 a year I can use any of the 4 parks or dog beach that we have in our county. I said 66 acres is a lot so we went over there yesterday to check it out. I kept him leashed while we were in the vicinity of other dogs but we managed to get to an area where no one was at. So I took the leash off and we had a great time. He loved running around and chasing his toy and his recall to me was fantastic. If any dogs got relatively close, I put him on the leash and kept him close to me. We were there for about an hour and there was nothing negative even remotely close to happening. I am pretty sure I can manage to keep him away from everyone else and focused on me especially with his ball drive being so high. But it is a necessary evil to keep him in shape and happy. This place is huge! http://www.lcfpd.org/assets/1/7/2017...al_Closure.pdf

Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:46 AM

Nice!
BigHemi45 likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Use that off leash area to do some training on leash . Employ the mind -- then graduate to off leash.

this will be good because the dog has to understand that even in this "fun" place , obedience is still required --

this will come in mightily handy if there is a surprise visit from another dog . Your dog can be at liberty and still
be responsible to you and under control.
Milliegsd and BigHemi45 like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Use that off leash area to do some training on leash . Employ the mind -- then graduate to off leash.

this will be good because the dog has to understand that even in this "fun" place , obedience is still required --

this will come in mightily handy if there is a surprise visit from another dog . Your dog can be at liberty and still
I kind of started this yesterday but I wanted him to have a great first experience so we played for most of it. I always include obedience into play. Sit stay, down stay, leave it, come. I have a sound I use to recall him as well as "come". He is well aware that his obedience to me is always necessary. But in the event there is a surprise visit from another dog, we will always keep training so that we can be ready. To be honest when we first walked in, people looked like they wanted to stay away from the scary German Shepherd anyway, what will they think when he is fully grown lol. This is a bonus for me as we don't like to be bothered very much and it allows me to control the circumstances in which he meets and greets. I am just glad we have somewhere to get some work in where I feel we can be safe.

Archer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

It looks really nice my aunt takes her husky to a dog park very similar to yours with a on and off leash area. It looks more like a regular park. It's not like dog parks we have here which are just small enclosed fenced areas.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
It looks really nice my aunt takes her husky to a dog park very similar to yours with a on and off leash area. It looks more like a regular park. It's not like dog parks we have here which are just small enclosed fenced areas.
I really only liked the idea since it is so big. By the looks of it, our smallest dog park of the 4 is 30 acres. He needs it and he loved it. I was surprised how much energy he had left after 45 of running around.

Archer
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

bighemi said
"To be honest when we first walked in, people looked like they wanted to stay away from the scary German Shepherd anyway, what will they think when he is fully grown lol."

I would down play that so fast .

What can happen? You will be watched and you will be the one to blame in any encounter that goes wrong - even if the other dog provokes it .

I would have turned it around to - we are new here in this dog park where freedom is possible --- and still earned - so obedience in this environment first -- release is the reward .

I would do training , with play , not play with interspersed training. The dog will want to train for the reward.

the way you are doing it the training is a buzz kill .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemi45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I really only liked the idea since it is so big. By the looks of it, our smallest dog park of the 4 is 30 acres. He needs it and he loved it. I was surprised how much energy he had left after 45 of running around.
Wow that is a big dog park such a nice thing to have with much room to roam. Yeah I'm not sure they can get tired sometimes they just want more and more -wish I had that energy!
BigHemi45 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post

You mean with no other dogs around, right?

One thing that I always hate to see is a leashed dog at a dog park. It causes so many problems. The other dogs are free to run around, approach, etc., while the leashed dog is restrained. Sometimes the dog is just bummed it can't run around and play, but other times it gets highly reactive or even aggressive. I would rather you stayed out of the OFF LEASH park if you are going to leash your dog. Take him to a regular park to train around other dogs who are also leashed. I don't need your dog lunging and snarling and freaking out all the other dogs when I'm trying to enjoy a weekend hike.
BigHemi45 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page