Proud to be with my GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Proud to be with my GSD

I was out with Phoenix for a walk the other night, and I noticed this really handsome, well-behaved GSD over on the other side of the pathway. I gave Phoenix a pat on the head, thinking, "yup buddy, you're a good boy too". I kept looking over, he was such a nice GSD, and his owner kept glancing over at us. Then we both shared a smile and waved, like we both knew we were in this "exclusive club" lol with our handsome, well-behaved GSDs. Made me think of the motor bikers who wave at each other as they pass it was just pretty cool. Then tonight, a nice older couple were driving by, they had a GSD in their car, they slowed down to check Phoenix out (I think I was pulling a clump of fur from his back leg, he's blowing his coat at the moment lol) and they waved. But Phoenix was hands-down way better looking than both of them.. just sayin' lol. Anyone else feel like we're just a bit more special and somewhat connected because we have GSDs? I suppose my friends who have Golden Retrievers probably feel the same way
car2ner, RZZNSTR, Shooter and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:15 AM

I don't know if I feel special but I feel very fortunate to have a GSD and especially a head turner at that. I can't go anywhere without hearing people talk about my boy either to me or to others around them.

Pretty much everyone at Walgreens and Smiths Grocery know my dog. Nice to live in a small friendly town. I have only seen one other GSD in the past couple of months when I started taking notice of seeing if I would see anyone around.
RZZNSTR, LittleBear and Shooter like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 AM

I hardly ever see anyone else with a Gsd so when it happens we both are ecstatic!Have to stop and talk for a while and share stories,lol!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 AM

Admitted, I am a dog snob. My previous GSD sold me on the breed for a lifetime. I have a "superiority complex" about the breed and have a hard time hiding it most days.
squerly, misfits, dogma13 and 4 others like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

Ha, ha, all so true. When I see any other breed of dog with its owner, I secretly think that they are missing out on something really great. I know I did all the years before I had a GSD.
It just feels so awesome to walk a well behaved sane GSD and, if I must say, beautiful too
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:11 PM

I would publicly agree but I have to be careful. I know of some Doberman people who would disagree and flat out say that THEY have the best breed.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Admitted, I am a dog snob. My previous GSD sold me on the breed for a lifetime. I have a "superiority complex" about the breed and have a hard time hiding it most days.
I kind of have this issue, too. I really do try to hide it, because most of my friends with dogs don't have GSDs and most of the dogs are legitimately wonderful. They're...just not GSDs. It's "Oh, that's a really cute puppy!" vs, "OMG LOOK AT THE GERMAN SHEPHERD SQUEEE!!!" when comparing enthusiasm levels.

For how popular the breed is overall, I really don't run into other owners that often in my own area of the city. I do note (somewhat ruefully) how many people look pleasantly surprised when I pull over and make my dog sit and she does so calmly; it's like they're expecting her to lunge or something.

On the other hand, she's also literally stopped traffic more times than I can count. And after Westminster, we couldn't even take a walk through the neighborhood without being stopped every block or so by someone who wanted to meet the German Shepherd and ask if we knew Kent and Rumor.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm surprised how some of you guys don't have many other (or actually no) GSDs nearby, my closest is a 6 year old three doors down! I see quite a few actually. I'm the same way WateryTart...I love seeing GSD puppies, there really isn't anything cuter to me, I just melt. Almost enough to get another....almost. My hands are quite full with my handsome, well-behaved but still adolescent, high energy 2 year old (aka cheeky monkey)!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM

I'm surprised too! I must be spoiled, my neighborhood has no less than 6 GSDs and we still grin at each other & wave. They are the best and I'm honored to be my boys human.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
I'm surprised how some of you guys don't have many other (or actually no) GSDs nearby, my closest is a 6 year old three doors down! I see quite a few actually. I'm the same way WateryTart...I love seeing GSD puppies, there really isn't anything cuter to me, I just melt. Almost enough to get another....almost. My hands are quite full with my handsome, well-behaved but still adolescent, high energy 2 year old (aka cheeky monkey)!
Most dogs in my neighborhood are mixes of some type. Lab mixes and pit bull mixes are super popular here. I've also seen a fair number of small terrier breeds or mixes. There is one GSD in my neighborhood that I see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page