Pup announcing presence - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Pup announcing presence

So interested in advice about a small issue we havent dealt with before. 4 month old puppy feels the need to announce his presence anywhere indoors we go. Its pretty funny actually, but annoying. When we take him anywhere indoors, lowes, home depot, the vet etc. The little guy just has to throw his head back and whooo whoooo whoo as soon as we walk in. Now he tends to do this when he's really happy too. Very verbal little fellow.
He only does it for a second or two, and then stops and looks around to see who is noticing him I believe. But you know, I'm a low key kind of guy and dont really want my presence announced.
He seems to just love it. Its a happy, " hey everyone I'm here now!!" kind of whoooing.
Head thrown back nose in the air kind of thing.
Sure I can make him stop doing it, but any suggestions for how to curb it without making him think hes doing something wrong so to speak? I dont want to curb his enthusiasm, as I personally think its great. Just get him to understand he doesnt need to announce his presence like the world is blessed to be exposed to his radiant glory. Or so he seems to think. Also what does this say about his personality in general?
CindyMDBecker and cdwoodcox like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

No advice just made me laugh.

Sabi had some sites that we went to where she would do much the same. She would stand on the tailgate of the truck and announce herself. All Hail The Queen! Kneel before me peasants. She did it all her life so I wish you luck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry no advice but it sounds like your little guy has quite the personality. Made me laugh on a Monday Morning.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Lol its good to know he's not the only one! He is a very confident little fellow and it shows.... Oh well, not a huge deal if he wont stop. Will try subtle persuasion over a period of time to curb it. Possible distract him with a treat or something when we walk in and he's about to do it.
Its pretty funny he thinks that highly of himself though!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisedbyshepherds View Post
Lol its good to know he's not the only one! He is a very confident little fellow and it shows.... Oh well, not a huge deal if he wont stop. Will try subtle persuasion over a period of time to curb it. Possible distract him with a treat or something when we walk in and he's about to do it.
Its pretty funny he thinks that highly of himself though!
Sabi was an odd pup and definitely a huge personality. Maybe it goes hand in hand?

Distraction might work. Worth a shot. Either way thanks for the chuckle.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:25 PM

Both of mine announce their presence when they realize where we are stopping for an outdoor adventure. In one town we had to drive a bit to find parking. I think the entire town knew that we had arrived. They were in their kennels in the back of the truck so there was no correcting them. Later when we stopped at a dog friendly restaurant we got the "oh that was YOU guys" with a grin.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Lol I guess maybe its not so uncommon. If he keeps it up maybe I'll just tell people hes trained to announce my presence upon arrival. And since he's a german shepherd he gets veeeeeery grumpy if we dont get the red carpet treatment in the big box stores lol.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom and car2ner like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 PM

Tee Hee,

You might not be too far off base on that idea. When we get home and my big-boy goes with my hubby to open the gate to the driveway, he prances around like "Yes, He's Home and I'm Here With Him! Be Aware".

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

You could, moments before you think he will send his announcement out, ask for a sit and reward him with the silent obedience.. Soon his focus will be on you at entrance and not on telegraphing his presence to all... Although I find it adorable to picture.. Not so adorable as an adult though (which he might outgrow if not rewarded for doing it by pets and attention)
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Elite Member

What Heneni said. Remember, you get what you pet, or give attention to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page