Neighbors yelling at my dogs - What do you do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Neighbors yelling at my dogs - What do you do?

I have two dogs - both indoor dogs - that only go outside to potty or just to sniff around the yard on nice, sunny days. Generally speaking, one of my dogs is very quiet and my other dog will bark if other neighbor dogs are outside playing and barking. All of our immediate neighbors have dogs that bark, but our next door neighbors have four dogs (city limit is three) and they get free reign to come and go inside and out as they please since they have installed a dog door. Problem? As soon as I let my dogs outside (no matter if it's early morning, afternoon or evening), their dogs come running out and bark. My dog will bark at the noise, and his shepherd bark is always loudest. I personally don't have a problem with barking dogs throughout the day (I can't speak for everyone and don't want to be a rude neighbor) but it's frustrating that my dogs can never be outside without their dogs outside, too. Now, even though their dogs are continuously outside barking, my neighbor has started yelling at my dog to shut up. I'm not humanizing my dogs to the point that I think it hurts their feelings, but I feel that their yelling is a little misguided. My dogs don't incessantly bark just because they are outside, but only because their dogs are also barking and playing. My neighbors have always been stand-offish and unapproachable, so I'm not sure the best way to handle the situation. Unfortunately, a privacy fence just isn't in the budget until next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Knighted Member

So just to make sure i'm understanding correctly:

1. You have two house dogs, one of which tends to be a little more vocal if he's barked at first.
2. Your neighbors have four dogs, more than is technically allowed.
3. Those same neighbors yell at your dogs to shut up.
4. You have a fence but not a privacy fence (?)

Okay. Do you know for sure the neighbors are yelling at your dogs and not their own? (Not that I don't believe you, but it seems like a reasonable question to ask just in case.)

I assume you brought up the city limit because you are considering reporting them to the city?

Evil Tart would really want to, but long game Tart would be wondering about the ramifications of short term revenge. Neighbor feuds don't sound like fun. I think as much as this sucks, I might try to finance the fence and get it done earlier. Some fencing companies offer low or no interest financing.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
So just to make sure i'm understanding correctly:

1. You have two house dogs, one of which tends to be a little more vocal if he's barked at first.
2. Your neighbors have four dogs, more than is technically allowed.
3. Those same neighbors yell at your dogs to shut up.
4. You have a fence but not a privacy fence (?)

Okay. Do you know for sure the neighbors are yelling at your dogs and not their own? (Not that I don't believe you, but it seems like a reasonable question to ask just in case.)

I assume you brought up the city limit because you are considering reporting them to the city?

Evil Tart would really want to, but long game Tart would be wondering about the ramifications of short term revenge. Neighbor feuds don't sound like fun. I think as much as this sucks, I might try to finance the fence and get it done earlier. Some fencing companies offer low or no interest financing.
Yes to all, except we do not have a fence - our dogs are on tie outs.

I know they are yelling at my dogs because they walk over to their chain link fence and yell over it into my yard.

I bring up the city limit, not because I have any intention of reporting them because I am sure the dogs are in a loving home, but to clarify how many dogs they are running inside and out all the time while barking. I would never want a dog to get displaced from a good home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Elite Member

I'd say something. Be polite and talk to them.

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

If she build a fence the dogs are still going to bark. What about bark collars for everybody? Off subject but- does the op really have a German Shepard that is a 'house dog' and only gets to go out in the backyard to go to the bathroom? Is it old and feeble?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

I had a similar problem with my previous GSD and a previous neighbor. Our county dog limit is 3 dogs. She had SIX! My GSD already did not like other dogs, so it was a nightmare. Her yard only abutted a portion of mine, but her dogs would get on the retaining wall and bark at my GSD, who of course reacted strongly. In my case, I was able to put up a few 6ft. panels to block some of the space. The rest, I planted a garden and built a make shift garden fence around it. Kept my dog out of the garden and away from the fence.

In the meantime, the best thing that worked for me was distracting my dog. She was very ball obsessed. I'd say, "leave it!" "Where's your ball?" Game on and no more barking. I always stay outside with my dogs anyway. That way, I am right there to play with them, or correct their barking as needed.
SuperG and dogma13 like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 PM

Agree with responses. First, always talk to them, you don't want a war with neighbors. A six pack of beer or bottle of wine and be nice while voicing concerns. I have no idea on size of lots or proximity, but will the fence really work? If so, maybe you could install yourself with aid of friends. Who knows, if barking is a problem for neighbors, maybe they will assist in installing or even share some of the cost. Throw some burgers and dogs on the grill after. Last resort would be to consider a bark collar if you can't train your dog to not bark back. Yes, that sucks and he's in his own yard, but those are a couple solutions. I wouldn't even consider calling the town. If they found out you called and have to give up one of their dogs, well, that would not end well for either party. GL
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
If she build a fence the dogs are still going to bark. What about bark collars for everybody? Off subject but- does the op really have a German Shepard that is a 'house dog' and only gets to go out in the backyard to go to the bathroom? Is it old and feeble?
I have a young German Shepherd who is a house dog. She is allowed access to the fenced yard whenever she wants it due to someone WFH most days, but she is most assuredly not old and feeble.

I don't think you can put bark collars on someone else's dog. It sounds like her dog speaks when spoken to (so to speak). So she can punish her own dog while not solving the root problem, that's what a bark collar would net her.

I think the fence would help with cutting off visual access to the OP's dogs. This may or may not help the barking, but it would at least be more of a barrier between the two yards.
angelas likes this.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Bark collars are not the best idea with two dogs barking. Both could set it off.

Snitches get stitches.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
Agree with responses. First, always talk to them, you don't want a war with neighbors. A six pack of beer or bottle of wine and be nice while voicing concerns. I have no idea on size of lots or proximity, but will the fence really work? If so, maybe you could install yourself with aid of friends. Who knows, if barking is a problem for neighbors, maybe they will assist in installing or even share some of the cost. Throw some burgers and dogs on the grill after. Last resort would be to consider a bark collar if you can't train your dog to not bark back. Yes, that sucks and he's in his own yard, but those are a couple solutions. I wouldn't even consider calling the town. If they found out you called and have to give up one of their dogs, well, that would not end well for either party. GL
I can see why she wouldn't want to talk to the neighbors. She said they tended to be pretty unfriendly. (As a fellow unfriendly person, while I would be totally receptive to you alerting me that there was a problem, I don't want to help you with your fence or throw burgers on the grill afterward. Wave or nod at me and leave me alone otherwise, I'll do the same for you.)

And I think it's fine for OP not to involve them, but then you aren't enlisting their help with solving the issue. That's when you have to look at what can you reasonably do on your end, without involving them. Bark collars are not the answer. She can't control whether they have a dog door; they do. She can cut visual and physical access between the two sets of dogs. I think that's probably about all she can do without involving the neighbors (she seems to not want to) or calling the city (not advisable).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page