Georgia Homeowners insurance? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By WIBackpacker
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Georgia Homeowners insurance?

Does anyone know of a insurance company in GA they would recommend that does not blacklist GSDs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Check and see if you are eligible for USAA (military service history in your family, or spouse's family if you are married). They are excellent and have no breed restrictions.
RZZNSTR likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Knighted Member

State Farm doesn't have breed restrictions. We used them when we lived in North Carolina, so I'd assume they are in GA also?

We switched back to our prior insurance company when we returned to the Midwest, but I was happy with State Farm. American Family (which also doesn't blacklist GSDs but might not be in Georgia) was slightly cheaper, and we were equally happy with the two companies.

Edit: American Family is in fact in Georgia. I got curious and searched their website. They do have a "no" list and double check with a local agent in case things vary state by state, but the "no" list I got from my agent included pit types and all pit type mixes, Rotts, wolf hybrids, Chows, Akitas, and I think that might have been it. No GSDs.

Last edited by WateryTart; 05-04-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:07 PM

As far as I'm aware, Georgia Farm Bureau doesn't have a breed restriction. At least they haven't pestered us about having GSD. Then again, they might not even know we have one. Would probably have to check with an agent to be certain.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

AFAIK, State Farm DOES have breed restrictions in some states -- they seem to have different underwriting requirements state by state. You should probably re-verify with them as sometimes independent agents might "forget" to ask and can create a real mess.

Liberty Mutual does not have breed restrictions in some states, but it apparently does in others.

WateryTart, I'm glad to learn that about American Family!

With USAA, they have expanded eligibility all the way back to WWII vets, and their children. For example, if you have a father who served in Vietnam, Korea, or WWII, if he joins then he can confer membership to you. It's SO worth the paperwork and hassle -- they're consistently rated in the top 2 by Consumer Reports for customer service and claims handling (the other being Amica).

If all else fails, send an email to your local German Shepherd Rescue. Rescues tend to have to help adopters navigate this (plus they get contacted by owners facing giving up a dog after the insurance company threatens them with cancellation). Many of us keep track of which companies locally are working out for our adopters, so that we can share the info to help keep dogs in good homes.
car2ner likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-04-2017 at 02:32 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
I have Traveler's through Geico - (gotta get those multiple discounts). They had no problem with the breeds we have; GSD and Lab
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:45 PM

We have Liberty Mutual (who stinks and i need to shop them) and alk they asked for was a letter from our vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in