Companion breeds for GSDs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Companion breeds for GSDs?

Hey guys!!

We have been toying with the idea of getting another puppy in the future, and we're kind of at a standstill as to what other breeds would compliment a GSD. We know that we would like another "large" dog (although not necessarily as large as a GSD- just not a small breed).

We have talked about just adding another GSD to our family, but we also don't want to limit ourselves to this one (wonderful) breed!

What other breeds do you guys have/know of that would fit in well with a German Shepherd?

*This puppy is not being added anytime soon- it's just fun for us to discuss and start thinking ahead a little!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Our first one grew up with the next door neighbours Husky. They were maybe 3-4 months apart in age and played daily. Peas in a pod.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:21 PM

I started adding Aussies to my gsd pack about 16 years ago,,will always have one or two..Right now I have two mini aussies, with the two gsd's. they definitely compliment each other and can give as good as they get..I have always found the aussies to be a more independent breed vs my gsd's who've always been very into "me"...but the aussies are great just for comic relief

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Master Member

I have a lab/GSD mix, and she plays very well with our full German shepherd. Basically any dog of a suitable size and temperament and energy level should be a good match. You probably don't want something like an Italian greyhound, but a sturdier dog like an Aussie, lab, golden would work well, there are so many breeds that could work. Is there anything special you want to do with the dog? Or you just would like another dog, because if there is something that can help pinpoint a breed. (I'd avoid lower energy breeds if you want something that will play a lot with your current dog. Conan will play with the other two but he gets worn out faster. Or course dogs are individuals, not just their breed.)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Master Member

My partner's GSD adored playing with his sister's Golden Retriever pup. I'd never seen her have so much fun with another dog in my life, especially because she had a history of female-female aggression. Goldens are total sweet hearts and while people down play their energy, they're still pretty high up there, especially as pups.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I love my GSD with my Labrador. She is active and passive, but can hang with the loud annoying GSD. She requires the same exercise and can play for hours
kenzandel likes this.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

Rough and Smooth Coated Collies
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Elite Member

Some comic relief, I guess, but my shepherd and my 8 1/2 # Chinese Crested Dog are great buddies. It amazes me how my shepherd tones the energy way down when playing tug with the little guy. But if I were to choose another, larger, breed to be buds with my shepherd, I really loved our Boxers from many years ago.
kenzandel likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
I have a lab/GSD mix, and she plays very well with our full German shepherd. Basically any dog of a suitable size and temperament and energy level should be a good match. You probably don't want something like an Italian greyhound, but a sturdier dog like an Aussie, lab, golden would work well, there are so many breeds that could work. Is there anything special you want to do with the dog? Or you just would like another dog, because if there is something that can help pinpoint a breed. (I'd avoid lower energy breeds if you want something that will play a lot with your current dog. Conan will play with the other two but he gets worn out faster. Or course dogs are individuals, not just their breed.)
We've started training for Obedience and Rally competitions with Ellie and really love it, so I know that we would want to continue that with any other dog that we would get! I know that that's not very breed specific, but those are really our only solid plans as of right now! We will definitely want a dog that can keep up with Ellie's energy and activity level as well
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
My partner's GSD adored playing with his sister's Golden Retriever pup. I'd never seen her have so much fun with another dog in my life, especially because she had a history of female-female aggression. Goldens are total sweet hearts and while people down play their energy, they're still pretty high up there, especially as pups.
We have actually talked quite a bit about Goldens, but we weren't sure how they would hold up with the way GSDs play! That's good to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page