What mental state do you need your dog in before walking? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cdwoodcox

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

What mental state do you need your dog in before walking?

She tends not to heel - overexcited or doesn't respect my leadership....she is a female and behaves somewhat like an alpha...

Any help appreciated as this is too stressful and this stage as is causing me to hate walking her - i live in an urban area....she is a working dog too.

4 years old.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Elite Member

Calm. If she's excited don't move. Just stand still.

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:37 AM
Knighted Member

My dogs get excited with just the word walk. But they still keep their cool. I only expect heel during training. Walking only requires a loose leash. I use a lot of left turns, fast right turns. If the dog isn't paying attention to you enough to not get jerks during the right turns or knees during the left turns then the jerks and knees usually help. I over exaggerate both if needed. Pulling ahead yes I usually will just stop and guide them back in place. Does she respond to collar pressure. And what kind of collar are you using. A fur saver would be a good choice until she gets reliable then you could switch to a flat collar. I done a lot of leash walking as pups in non stimulating environments. My back yard, around the house. How often do you walk. The more you walk the more it becomes normal and not quite as stimulating.
Shooter likes this.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page