Owning a GSD: what did you give up but gained? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Owning a GSD: what did you give up but gained?

Being stuck at home with the flu is giving me time to think and contemplate and I asked myself this question. For me, a GSD is an extension/body part of me. If I am without her, I do not feel complete and am mostly aware that she is home without me during these times. Just to clarify, she and I are sane and do not suffer from separation anxiety in the sense of 'anxiety'; mostly an awareness.
I gave up fancy travel and hotels, city trips, museums, art galleries. The kids sometimes complained about this when they were growing up, but they are on their own and doing now what they seem to have missed in their "very limited childhood" (no regrets on my part here). What I gained is hard to describe and totally worth everything I couldn't do because of the dog(s). For me, the bond with a GSD is magical and a daily enjoyment whereas travel is only temporary, kinda like FB. It keeps me active (lost 10 lbs without effort) and in tune with nature. I would never go on a beach or trail walk without my dog. I enjoy the days just with her alone. Ever since the GSds came into my life, my love and understanding for dogs has grown deeper. I may have other breeds/mixes in the future but hopefully always a GSD as long as I am physically able to. Being mentally capable is another issue because they will think for me
Now a few more days of recovering from the flu and we can go out together again. She has been so patient in this last week of being inactive. I realize that this has turned into a tribute to Deja who, by the way, is young, healthy and strong with only her 3 years. Yeah....GSDs!
Suki's Mom, RZZNSTR and Diegotxe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Knighted Member

Sacrificed: Freedom, free time, travel, lots and lots and lots of money.

Gained: I can't even tell you. She's amazing. She's my friend, my working/hobby partner, my resident class clown.
Diegotxe likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Elite Member

Wolfy Dog, I'm glad you are better. Its a good thing to have a dog to love you and stay by you when you are sick. Maybe its because they are German Shepherds, now they watch over and look after us instead of the sheep.
wolfy dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Hmm.It wasn't so much giving things up as it was a lifestyle choice.I don't miss traveling or going to events.I'm content hanging out with my dogs.And waterytart is correct when she describes the bond with a Gsd,magical.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Knighted Member

Carpets in the house. Well, CLEAN carpets that don't smell of dog...

Having a nice garden in the back yard.

Long, expensive vacations in places where the dog isn't welcome.

Clean socks, and clean floors.

Socks that don't suddenly disappear if I don't close my bedroom door...

What I've gained:

Companionship and love.
Understanding and patience.
Joy and beauty. Watching my dogs run free never fails to make me go "WOW! How did I get so lucky to have such beautiful animals in my life?
Physical activity that helps keep me young and fit.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Elite Member

I've gained a lot of fur balls and drool marks in addition to all the wonderful emotions and indescribable joy my Traveler has given me.

Money, um, yes, money. Let's not even go there. I forget about all the money when I look into those soft warm brown eyes full of love.

Lynn & Traveler
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

But then I remember when the charge card statement comes in the mail

Lynn & Traveler
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:42 PM
Elite Member

Lost? I guess I don't feel it is a loss because the trade would be made either way.. Certainly freedom to travel, but I wouldn't want to do it without my dogs anyway (and SAR helps that bug in me). Money, well it would be spent on them anyways because I've had dogs since I was born (parents dogs obviously, lol) and cannot imagine life without..

Gained? Wow... Sanity (although that might get lost because of them on occasion, lol), everything... What others have gained because of them.. That's a big one. Being SAR dogs, they have the potential of every mission to save a life, be a part in directing the search a given way, or bringing closure to a family who lost a loved one.. So the world is better because I own dogs j/k

Seriously though, the world is better because dogs are in our lives.. Humans benefits are infinite
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Elite Member

When I was last sick, my husband was away on a business trip. Nitro stuck his nose in my face, had a good (diagnostic) sniff, then climbed up and snuggled against me on the bed. At 3am I told him, I'm feeling ok now, so he hopped off the bed to his sleeping place. The thing that amazes me, he prefers to sleep stretched out, not curled up. Because of him being oversized, there isn't room for both of us to sleep in our preferred sleeping positions when we're both on the bed. I appreciated his sacrificial administering of comfort when I was ill. I am amazed at the interaction we all can have with these awesome dogs.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 PM

the quick answer:

I lost having clean sweet smelling cars
I gained fabulous walking buddies

and sometimes stellar footwarmers if only for a few minutes

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page