Fence barking. Problem or normal behavior? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Fence barking. Problem or normal behavior?

So a previous thread got me thinking. Is a dog that barks at people going by his fence line a problem or is it just normal dog behavior. I expect people's dog to be territorial. It doesn't bother me when dogs walk a fence barking. But some people seem to act like it is an issue. "I assume it's the ones who are afraid of and don't understand dogs who act like it is an issue. I will post a video of my back yard for reference. Thoughts? I will also try and get a video of them barking at someone walking by later.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM

When my dogs are in their kennel they bark at passersby.If they are free in the yard they don't.Whenever I pass by a dog behind a fence I'm usually barked at.IME it's normal.
My neighbors are not close,so it really doesn't bother anyone.
cdwoodcox likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge

Last edited by dogma13; 04-26-2017 at 07:24 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

I'm going with....it's pretty normal.....especially for this breed. However.......when I say to knock it off....it ends...took a bit to get her to see it my way....but I let her get a few barks in before telling her enough.

My fenced in area is farther from the street.....so people walking by probably aren't as uptight.....but....there are always going to be those who see it differently....oh well.

Come to think of it..........I'd say better than 90 plus % of the dogs in my neighborhood fence bark at people as they walk by their turf........when I sit outside....the dog and I have figured out which direction people are coming from....and if they are walking a dog.....the barking is more "spirited"......

SuperG
cdwoodcox likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

I've got something similar on having an enclosed porch. My dog doesn't bark at people who walk on the sidewalk. But if they turn towards the house, he lights up.
Must be a tool...
dogma13 and cdwoodcox like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I usually don't bother with them barking unless there is a young child who seems troubled. Adults or basically anyone over 12 I figure deal with it. The ones who kill me are the people who walk dogs and will stop as if to think their dog and my dogs are gonna just be instant best friends, as my dogs are sprinting towards the fence. They always act so surprised when my dogs greet them with my yard get out of here barks. Or the dogs who are pulling towards my dogs and the owners act as if they can not for the life of them walk their dog away.
I do watch dog barking more than human. I don't want Athena to develop any dog issues that will mess us up at club.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, nice yard!!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

It's normal but it can lead to aggression and reactivity big time. Some of the worst aggression cases I've seen started as fence fighting and built up and bled over into other pictures.

You will find that idiot that sticks his hand over or through the fence at some point and your dog may decide to do more than bark in that case.

You will walk when it is time to walk

Last edited by Baillif; 04-26-2017 at 08:05 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

Those idiots are out there for sure. I used to sell milk over my front gate sometimes if it was a stranger and I didn't want them in my property alone with me. Dogs would run up to the gate and have a little bru ha ha. They'd stop when I got there and told them to, and then they'd sit there and stare at people while I did my little transaction.

My old male was not messing around. There were signs on the gate, German Shepherds, do not pet, do not feed. So there's my dog, barking aggressively with a hard stare at this guy who reaches his hand through the gate to make friends with him. I yelled at him to get his hand out of there and he looked so shocked and said something like "dogs love me". I was like, this one doesn't. He'll eat your fingers with ketchup.

Unbelievable. People used to try and feed their babies to our horses back in the day too. I literally caught people offering their infant over the fence for the horse to sniff. Ran out there yelling at them to get that baby out of there.

We DID have a horse sever someone's finger, not the one they were offering the baby to, but those people didn't know that!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
It's normal but it can lead to aggression and reactivity big time. Some of the worst aggression cases I've seen started as fence fighting and built up and bled over into other pictures.

You will find that idiot that sticks his hand over or through the fence at some point and your dog may decide to do more than bark in that case.
Interesting. That was my main concern with Athena. That she may develop a habit of barking at dogs for the heck of it and spill over onto the SCH field.
My older male Rosko and the neighbors male dogs fence fight every chance they get. Through a privacy fence so they can't see each other but it sounds vicious. I always put a stop to that as I figure eventually someone's gonna get through or under and it will be on for real. As of right now when this goes on the Germans seem oblivious to them fence fighting.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post

Unbelievable. People used to try and feed their babies to our horses back in the day too!
This part almost gave me a mental breakdown. I thought surely she mis-typed. Gotta be a mistake. Who the **** feeds infants to horses. Should have read the whole paragraph before having my wtf moment.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page